Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 07:09:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Stop fuckin' around, fork the son-of-a-bitch already.  (Read 9296 times)
MFahad

Activity: 2478
Merit: 644

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
September 16, 2016, 05:16:47 PM

Planned, well executed, not rushed hard fork for the sake of achieving  better performance, stability, speed -  pushing evolution in general is welcomed and needed.
The problem is that some users are scared/don't know what forking is about and I'm afraid that forking will always cause problems and panic - at least initially.

It is fine and makes sense as long as everyone knows the deal.  There are a lot of people that have a wallet and use it on occasion, but do not follow the Bitcoin news and what not. 

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 4505

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 05:57:28 PM

lots of people have done benchmarks and deemed 4mb raspberry pi safe.
but here is lauda being ignorant and now avoiding other bench tests just to provoke an argument that i didnt do as he said.

ill repeat what he and his immature friends say when i ask them to research something
"dont tell me what to do unless your paying me"

so if he wants to ignore the many many benchmarks that google can supply him. then its obvious he doesnt care about actual statistics.
and even if i did spoonfeed him. i predict he would just say i made it up (yes he is that predictable)

anyway using todays settings 2mb spam is 4 seconds.. not a 11 minute bottleneck

have a nice day

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
arcanaaerobics

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 06:04:33 PM

I really don't think a hard fork is a good move.
Maybe a side-chain or something like that.

And well, we have a lot of good alts over there, bitcoin is not unanimous anymore.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 06:36:35 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2016, 07:08:09 PM by franky1

I really don't think a hard fork is a good move.
Maybe a side-chain or something like that.

And well, we have a lot of good alts over there, bitcoin is not unanimous anymore.

^ this here is the mindset of why bitcoin could lose utility.
yes thats right im talking about function, im talking about using actual bitcoin to buy actual products

in short they dont want to expand bitcoin, instead use an altcoin that has the desired capacity and make bitcoin no longer a functional currency and just an investment

we all know gmaxwell and lauda+chums want monero to rule supreme

and its funnier that they say its us wanting capacity growth purely for the value increase
while they are trying to get monero value to increase by baiting people over to it and turn bitcoin into just an pump and dump reserve.

(every doomsday and argument they can shout out about others is usually exactly what they want themselves)
EG
"big blockers" has been proven to now be the term for the core team, 4mb bigger then 2mb afterall

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
exstasie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1521

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 07:55:18 PM

Propaganda? Huh

By definition a hard fork creates a new network. This a matter of fact, not opinion.

What I said didn't contemplate whether a hard fork is controversial. What I said was, why don't you fork the code? Why do you need miners to pressure users to switch clients?

It seems the answer you buried in your long-winded posts was "nobody would support my fork." Okay then. There's your answer.

again your only seeing a hard fork through the eyes of controversial.

No, I am not. This has nothing to do with controversy. A hard fork, by definition, entails creating a new network that is incompatible with the old one. The intention of a hard fork is for users of the old network to migrate to the forked network. There is no propaganda in that, whatsoever.

but by core not even trying to make it (lets hope luke releases it before getting thrown out) then there will never be a healthy majority, due to
the loyal flock wanting core to dominate(even if the flock dont understand the route core prefers) and make decisions for them (centrally)

You're blaming the community for supporting the reference implementation. Take it up with the community. Supporting Core's conservative method of rigorous analysis and testing, or their overall roadmap, or simply supporting an implementation that retains Bitcoin's consensus rules, is not anything you can blame Core for. You can blame the lack of convincing arguments by fork proponents for the lack of support to fork. You could also probably blame Ethereum, which has likely scared much of the community away from the risks of hard forks.

so yea bitcoin knots, airbitz and others can have perfect code.. but core fanboys will doomsday call anything not core.. purely because core doesnt want a consensual fork(real onchain capacity).. they want to lead and control decisions. not allow an open decentralized free choice.

"Consensual [hard] fork" is a strange term. Consent flows from users opting into a network. Anyone is free to opt out of the Bitcoin network and consent to a new hard fork. But that doesn't imply at all that all users of the Bitcoin network consent to a hard fork. Knowing that every user consents is not possible in any way, shape or form -- and even if it were, we could only know after the fork had occurred, after which users actually migrate and affirmatively consent to the hard fork's new rules.

the funny thing is. core can easily release 0.14B(segwit+ hardfork) and then just see if people download A or B.
and if 95% have not downloaded version B of their favourite. then it will not activate and nothing is lost.
but by core vetoing any chance of a core version B. they are not even allowing users a free choice, even amungst their own flock

Core has no obligation to attempt to break the consensus rules. I don't know where you get the impression that they do. Anyone is free to fork Core's code and try to convince the community to join them. However, I urge everyone to oppose any fork that attempts to leverage miners against users. That raises serious ethical concerns about whether migrating users actually consent, or whether they felt forced by colluding miners (who have an apparent monopoly on hash rate and thus, confirmations for transactions).

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 10:05:38 PM
Last edit: September 16, 2016, 10:20:06 PM by franky1

No, I am not. This has nothing to do with controversy. A hard fork, by definition, entails creating a new network that is incompatible with the old one. The intention of a hard fork is for users of the old network to migrate to the forked network. There is no propaganda in that, whatsoever.

Supporting Core's conservative method of rigorous analysis and testing, or their overall roadmap, or simply supporting an implementation that retains Bitcoin's consensus rules, is not anything you can blame Core for.
1. hardfork code has been publicly available since last year, meaning core is not conservative. because they ignore code available for over a year to quickly push something only finalised a few weeks ago..
2. core is not retaining consensus rules.. old nodes cant validate segwit, so old nodes are not part of the consensus. they are just blindly confused into not caring what the data is by using the flag that tells them to ignore it.
3. core is not retaining consensus rules.. 4mb blockweight is a total different rule than maxblocksize.. but again by disabling consensus(consent) they are changing rules without needing consent.
4. the road map belongs to core, the segwit code is a core feature and core are avoiding accepting hard fork code so much they are throwing devs out of the core group

You can blame the lack of convincing arguments by fork proponents for the lack of support to fork. You could also probably blame Ethereum, which has likely scared much of the community away from the risks of hard forks.
the REKT and fake doomsdays stories to sway people started way before ethereum

"Consensual [hard] fork" is a strange term. Consent flows from users opting into a network. Anyone is free to opt out of the Bitcoin network and consent to a new hard fork. But that doesn't imply at all that all users of the Bitcoin network consent to a hard fork. Knowing that every user consents is not possible in any way, shape or form -- and even if it were, we could only know after the fork had occurred, after which users actually migrate and affirmatively consent to the hard fork's new rules.
see there you go again "opt out of bitcoin network".. more subtly propaganda that if its not the core way then its not bitcoin..
yet core are changing the rules without needing users consent for the new direction core want to go.

Core has no obligation to attempt to break the consensus rules. I don't know where you get the impression that they do. Anyone is free to fork Core's code and try to convince the community to join them. However, I urge everyone to oppose any fork that attempts to leverage miners against users. That raises serious ethical concerns about whether migrating users actually consent, or whether they felt forced by colluding miners (who have an apparent monopoly on hash rate and thus, confirmations for transactions).

"anyone is free to fork cores code"
hmm there you go again. subtle propaganda saying bitcoin is core and core is bitcoin, meaning anything not core, is not bitcoin.. seems you actually want core to be king and own bitcoin and make decisions without users consent, and you want anyone revolting away from your ideology to be classed as a alternative network/coin.

but here is the thing that will trip you up..
orphans are the mechanism.. and orphans happen daily. meaning bitcoin is suppose to change but only in a direction the majority agree on.
so a true consensual fork is the same as the daily orphans.. the chain CONTINUES in the direction of the majority..

if someone makes a rule change by submitting a block with odd data using the real consensual mechanism, but doesnt have majority, it gets orphaned
every day there are decisions being made for which direction the majority should move.
so by your failed definition of the consensus mechanism.. the majority of users are moving to a different network every time there is a fork(orphan)..

a controversial fork still gets orphaned off..
but.. only when intentionally blacklisting certain nodes to prevent the orphaning mechanism from taking care of the situation is where a realistic and continual split occur.

the community on the whole dont want a intentional split by adding in code to bypass the natural orphaning mechanism, all that is being said is a consensual fork for true capacity growth

which wont happen if core prevent a healthy majority by doing all this propaganda crap to keep their sheep inline to veto a change. and blindly allow another change by not telling their sheep its not requiring their consent for that route either

think long and hard about what i have just said.. and dont reply just with waffle to defend cores control

exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:16:57 PM

Franky, you're spreading a lot of misinformation. I won't go so far as to call it disinformation, but I'm not sure that your intentions here are honorable. I can't keep responding to you because every time I address your points, you repeat the same falsities that I've already shown to be false.

Supporting Core's conservative method of rigorous analysis and testing, or their overall roadmap, or simply supporting an implementation that retains Bitcoin's consensus rules, is not anything you can blame Core for.
1. hardfork code has been publicly available since last year, meaning core is not conservative. because they ignore code available for over a year to quickly push something only finalised a few weeks ago..

Segwit has been worked on since late last year. It's been rigorously tested for many months. Simply stating that "hard fork code has been publicly available since last year" is meaningless. That doesn't suggest that the hard fork code is sensible, optimal nor rigorously tested. Rather, peer review and testing has been minimal.

2. core is not retaining consensus rules.. old nodes cant validate segwit, so old nodes are not part of the consensus. they are just blindly confused into not caring what the data is by using the flag that tells them to ignore it.

Please point to the consensus rules being broken by Segwit. You can't, because there are none. This is why Segwit is backward compatible.

Old nodes certainly can validate Segwit transactions against the consensus rules. And they will. You seem disturbed by the idea of forward compatibility, but it's really quite elegant and appropriate. See Satoshi's thoughts on forward compatible soft forks:

The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime.  Because of that, I wanted to design it to support every possible transaction type I could think of.  The problem was, each thing required special support code and data fields whether it was used or not, and only covered one special case at a time.  It would have been an explosion of special cases.  The solution was script, which generalizes the problem so transacting parties can describe their transaction as a predicate that the node network evaluates.  The nodes only need to understand the transaction to the extent of evaluating whether the sender's conditions are met.

The script is actually a predicate.  It's just an equation that evaluates to true or false.  Predicate is a long and unfamiliar word so I called it script.

The receiver of a payment does a template match on the script.  Currently, receivers only accept two templates: direct payment and bitcoin address.  Future versions can add templates for more transaction types and nodes running that version or higher will be able to receive them.  All versions of nodes in the network can verify and process any new transactions into blocks, even though they may not know how to read them.

The design supports a tremendous variety of possible transaction types that I designed years ago.  Escrow transactions, bonded contracts, third party arbitration, multi-party signature, etc.  If Bitcoin catches on in a big way, these are things we'll want to explore in the future, but they all had to be designed at the beginning to make sure they would be possible later.

I don't believe a second, compatible implementation of Bitcoin will ever be a good idea.  So much of the design depends on all nodes getting exactly identical results in lockstep that a second implementation would be a menace to the network.  The MIT license is compatible with all other licenses and commercial uses, so there is no need to rewrite it from a licensing standpoint.

3. core is not retaining consensus rules.. 4mb blockweight is a total different rule than maxblocksize.. but again by disabling consensus(consent) they are changing rules without needing consent.

Again: Please point to the consensus rules being broken by Segwit. You can't, because there are none. Maxblocksize is a consensus rule. It is not broken by Segwit. Segregating the witness data doesn't affect validity. It's really quite a clever way to optimize transactions size while permitting features which require non-malleability.

4. the road map belongs to core, the segwit code is a core feature and core are avoiding accepting hard fork code so much they are throwing devs out of the core group

Anyone is free to contribute to Core. Anyone is also free to develop other clients. Being a small, vocal minority should not enable someone to steamroll the rest of the project contributors into merging code they disagree with. You have no authority to say what Core should or should not do. You are free to contribute to other projects. Go ahead.

You can blame the lack of convincing arguments by fork proponents for the lack of support to fork. You could also probably blame Ethereum, which has likely scared much of the community away from the risks of hard forks.
the REKT and fake doomsdays stories to sway people started way before ethereum

Indeed, anti-fork sentiment existed long before the Ethereum network split. But the failed hard fork scared a lot of people into recognizing that Core's position has been reasonable and thoughtful, while the Ethereum Foundation has clearly been reckless and disdainful towards their userbase and custodians.

see there you go again "opt out of bitcoin network".. more subtly propaganda that if its not the core way then its not bitcoin..
yet core are changing the rules without needing users consent for the new direction core want to go.

No, it's not propaganda at all. You either fundamentally misunderstand what a hard fork entails, or you yourself are attempting to spread lies to further your agenda.

Are you suggesting that the Bitcoin network doesn't exist? Because if the Bitcoin network exists, a hard fork of Bitcoin's consensus protocol will create an additional network that is incompatible with Bitcoin. It's curious that you don't deny this, yet you continue to try to deceive people into thinking that a hard fork is merely a software change that is compatible with Bitcoin. It is not. It splits the network into 2 or more incompatible networks.

"anyone is free to fork cores code"
hmm there you go again. subtle propaganda saying bitcoin is core and core is bitcoin, meaning anything not core, is not bitcoin.. seems you actually want core to be king and own bitcoin and make decisions without users consent, and you want anyone revolting away from your ideology to be classed as a alternative network/coin.

I didn't say "Bitcoin is Core and Core is Bitcoin." But it's the reference implementation. Why do you think XT, Classic and Unlimited are all forks of Core? What else would you expect people to fork, if not Core's repository? Feel free to code a new implementation from scratch, if you'd prefer.

but here is the thing that will trip you up..
orphans are the mechanism.. and orphans happen daily. meaning bitcoin is suppose to change but only in a direction the majority agree on.
so a true consensual fork is the same as the daily orphans.. the chain CONTINUES in the direction of the majority..

"Orphans" refer to valid blocks that don't have a known parent in the longest block chain. They don't refer to invalid blocks that aren't part of the Bitcoin network.

Also, you're only addressing processing power (miners). You're not addressing users at all. What gives miners power over the software that users decide to run? Nothing.

if someone makes a rule change by submitting a block with odd data using the real consensual mechanism, but doesnt have majority, it gets orphaned
every day there are decisions being made for which direction the majority should move.
so by your failed definition of the consensus mechanism.. the majority of users are moving to a different network every time there is a fork(orphan)..

No, an orphan doesn't imply a new network at all. Orphans are valid blocks, so they are compatible with the original network. Miners are simply agreeing on which valid chain has the most cumulative work.

It seems you need a reminder of how this works:
http://cointimes.tech/2016/08/hard-forks-and-consensus-networks-meta-questions-and-limitations/
http://www.gsd.inesc-id.pt/~ler/docencia/rcs1314/papers/P2P2013_041.pdf

a controversial fork still gets orphaned off..
but.. only when intentionally blacklisting certain nodes to prevent the orphaning mechanism from taking care of the situation is where a realistic and continual split occur.

A fork that breaks the consensus rules doesn't get orphaned. It gets ignored. Saying that it is "orphaned" suggests it is valid according to the network. It isn't.

the community on the whole dont want a intentional split by adding in code to bypass the natural orphaning mechanism, all that is being said is a consensual fork for true capacity growth

which wont happen if core prevent a healthy majority by doing all this propaganda crap to keep their sheep inline to veto a change. and blindly allow another change by not telling their sheep its not requiring their consent for that route either

think long and hard about what i have just said.. and dont reply just with waffle to defend cores control

Core doesn't have any control. Please come to terms with the fact that most of the community supports Core's maintenance of the Bitcoin code. You may disagree with their views -- it's only natural in such a diverse ecosystem that not every participant sees eye to eye. But I'm becoming more and more confused as to what you are even arguing for.

Anyone is free to opt out of the network and run an incompatible node. Anyone is free to contribute to projects other than Bitcoin Core. Please feel free to support such efforts.

I only ask that people try to understand that leveraging miners against users to try to force a network migration (as XT and Classic attempted to do) is unethical, and I ask that people reflect on whether it is right for miners to provoke users into removing consensus rules. Hard forks are a matter of user consent, not miner consent. Miner consent only establishes the longest valid chain (so, it enables soft forks). It has nothing to do with the consensus rules that every node on the network enforces.

Many of us view the block size limit as a moral issue -- key to allowing Bitcoin to remain peer-to-peer and sufficiently decentralized to prevent attacks -- and further, that consensus rules must be safe from tyranny of the majority. For miners to leverage "fear of being on the weaker chain" against users to remove the block size limit, for me, is not very different from miners doing so to remove the 21M supply limit. This idea that consensus rules are subject to democratic vote is extremely dangerous, and I oppose it unequivocally.

And frankly, I don't think that you are convincing anyone here of anything -- your understanding of the protocol is clearly lacking and you are clearly very angry, which obviously gets in the way of your message.

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:38:55 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2016, 01:04:14 AM by franky1

I only ask that people try to understand that leveraging miners against users to try to force a network migration is unethical, and I ask that people reflect on whether it is right for miners to provoke users into removing consensus rules. Hard forks are a matter of user consent, not miner consent.

Miner consent only establishes the longest valid chain (so, it enables soft forks). It has nothing to do with the consensus rules that every node on the network enforces.

cores softfork does not need user consent at actual code requirement level. (as part of the real consensus mechanism).
absolutely no nodes needs to upgrade to make a softfork possible.
but a mining pool DOES need to upgrade to be able to validate signatures of a segwit transaction to include them in blocks.
yes mining pools actually validate data to ensure it doesnt orphan.. so miners are not there just to decide blockheight..

seriously im starting to think im talking to a noob right now

core adding in an activation mechanism. is not due to consensus rules requiring it, but because they have bypassed the consensus mechanism to be able to change the rules without using the consensus mechanism and as an afterthought putting in a social activation mechanism to pretend its the same thing as consensus mechanism
but fundamentally not required.

old nodes are not forward compatible in the sense of being able to validate signatures of a segwit transaction. they are tricked into just passing on the data unchecked. this is not ensuring an old node remains a full validation node.. but just a blind participant in a game of pass the parcel

you say that segwit has been around for months.. on other networks, not bitcoin.
there are many BITCOIN implementations that have code for a hardfork that have been around since last year.. core have only achieved having the code IN BITCOIN a few weeks ago.

your rebuttal is like saying bitcoin has had ~2.5 minute blocks for 5 years because there is code being tested on a different network.
(segnet does not have 7 years of bitcoin data and is not talking to 6000 bitcoin nodes.. much like litecoin isnt)

but i will just laugh at your other false assumptions because its obvious no matter what core does, they are your king.. you have lost full understanding of decentralization and have been fooled into blindly following the centralization of false choice

by the way. if you have not already been indoctrinated to start favouring monero (the usual path of those wanting to keep bitcoin down) you soon will be. much like all the other core fanboys.

i have seen it happen many times, you probably are not going to be immune to it, because you are already repeating the standard spoonfed false rhetoric and hypocrisy

so the day you start thinking monero is the future, at this point realise that someone had warned you that your 'friends' have been tweaking at your mind to move you to favour monero with all the spoon fed false scripts. slap yourself and wake up

but here is the mind blowing part.
because core (didnt have to) but are putting in an activation mechanism where 95% of nodes need to use a piece of software..
guess what.
put the real capacity block buffer increase (meaning 2mb baseblock and 4mb segwit blockweight) so that when it activates the network CONTINUES to add new blocks onto the chain. and the minority get orphaned (via consensus mechanism)
after all there is no point running a full node if your not going to be validating transactions and just blindly passing on data you cant check.

killing 2 birds within one stone(mechanism/oppertunity)

and dont reply with the fake rhetoric of split coins, which can only occur by blacklisting nodes to by pass the orphan mechanism

Japinat

Activity: 2996
Merit: 681

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 02:55:25 AM

That is the nature of the game therefore we have no choice but play with it, so far in my opinion ETH is the best investment as I can easily read the movement of the market and I make consistent money trading it.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2016, 06:27:14 AM

-snip-
Tl;dr; I would sacrifice decentralization for money.  Roll Eyes

lots of people have done benchmarks and deemed 4mb raspberry pi safe.
but here is lauda being ignorant and now avoiding other bench tests just to provoke an argument that i didnt do as he said.
No. You're the one that mentioned validation time on a Pi in this thread. I asked YOU to run YOUR own benchmarks, not pull stuff from the internet to back it up.

ill repeat what he and his immature friends say when i ask them to research something
"dont tell me what to do unless your paying me"
I'm not going to waste my time researching for someone who thinks that libsecp256k1 mitigates the quadratic validation time problem.

and even if i did spoonfeed him. i predict he would just say i made it up (yes he is that predictable)
Of course you'd likely make it up since you can't even properly document your testing methodology.

anyway using todays settings 2mb spam is 4 seconds.. not a 11 minute bottleneck
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
exstasie
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 07:37:11 AM

Is this Franky guy just a total troll? I'm feeling like I've been trolled. Can't believe I took like 45 minutes to write that post, only to have him ignore every single point, yet again. And here he is, foaming at the mouth, babbling incoherently about "core fanboys" and "monero is the future."

What a fucking mouth breather.

I'm not going to waste time responding to your garbage post, Franky. This is the only thing of note that you said:

your rebuttal is like saying bitcoin has had ~2.5 minute blocks for 5 years because there is code being tested on a different network.
(segnet does not have 7 years of bitcoin data and is not talking to 6000 bitcoin nodes.. much like litecoin isnt)

Not sure where you think code should be tested, if not on a testnet. Also, Segnet has been live for many months prior to Segwit's introduction to the testnet. You realize that forks like Unlimited and Classic have only been run on testnet, right? Fun testnet fact: Recently, Roger Ver's pool -- marking blocks as BIP 109 on Classic's testnet -- mined BIP 109 violating transactions (did not enforce sigop limit). This caused a fork; Classic nodes correctly rejected the longer invalid chain. The fork continued for a month (it may still be ongoing, not sure); no one bothered to notice or care. To allow something like this to happen to the Classic testnet for more than a month is beyond embarrassing -- it's fucking pathetic. That's got to make you question both the BU and Classic teams (and idiots like Roger Ver). This shows the idiocy of BU not enforcing sig op limits while flagging support for BIP 109. The forkers are cannibalizing each other. Cheesy
https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/4zqd7g/roger_ver_does_your_bitcoin_classic_pool_on/

And stop spreading lies about non-updated nodes "not validating." They validate everything according to the consensus rules. To reiterate Satoshi (emphasis mine):

The receiver of a payment does a template match on the script.  Currently, receivers only accept two templates: direct payment and bitcoin address.  Future versions can add templates for more transaction types and nodes running that version or higher will be able to receive them.  All versions of nodes in the network can verify and process any new transactions into blocks, even though they may not know how to read them.

Bitcoin is clearly not for you, Franky, since you apparently believe that miners mining the longest valid chain = "bypassing the consensus mechanism." It's painfully obvious that you have some deep misunderstandings of the protocol. Or perhaps you really do intend to deceive people.

illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 08:09:55 AM

and dont reply with the fake rhetoric of split coins, which can only occur by blacklisting nodes to by pass the orphan mechanism

Actually, it could occur in multiple situations.

One would be a bilateral fork, where the fork intends to ensure the viability of all networks. For example, blacklisting blockchains that do not contain the fork block, or otherwise changing some consensus-critical factor to ensure a split. This is beyond the scope of "longest chain".

Another would be something like the DAO fork. ETH had nearly 100% of the hash rate at some point. But since the original network will always reject the hard fork blockchain, anyone can return to mining the old chain at any time, and there will be a network split.

You would only know after the fact if there was "consensus" in a hard fork. If there was not, users remain on the original chain....and miners will come.
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 10:51:16 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2016, 11:32:18 AM by franky1

They validate everything according to the consensus rules. To reiterate Satoshi (emphasis mine):

The receiver of a payment does a template match on the script.  Currently, receivers only accept two templates: direct payment and bitcoin address.  Future versions can add templates for more transaction types and nodes running that version or higher will be able to receive them.  All versions of nodes in the network can verify and process any new transactions into blocks, even though they may not know how to read them.

are you even reading your own words..

old nodes do not validate signatures of segwit.
the quote you made about satoshi is where he is saying he envisions a time in the future where instead of downloading a whole new client. users can download a 'patch' (template) that makes old nodes recognise new transaction types.

but here is the thing.. core didnt insert that template feature into their code to allow users to patch core without needing a full upgrade. so when segwit activates, old nodes dont see a segwit transaction as segwit and have a template to be able to validate signatures of segwit.. what old nodes see is an "anyone can spend" which is the trick where its telling old nodes there is no signature, but blindly pass it on anyway.

i dare you to show me where a users of version 0.3-0.12 can simply patch their old version to not treat segwit as a "anyone can spend" and instead actually sees and validates signatures.

as for your other waffle, about the test net stuff.. what may work in a secondary environment may not work in bitcoin.
hard fork implementations have actual code running on bitcoin, relaying data to other bitcoin implementations. segwit however has not had this finalised code included in a BITCOIN node untill a few weeks ago. and before that the code on the testnets was completely different.
you mentioned segwit has been around for months.. so show the finalised code 3 weeks ago. then show the same code, from any other time you have pretended that segwit was part of bitcoin.. go on
show me code from 2 months ago where they match up.
show me code from 4-6 months ago where they match up.

screw it.. ill do it for you.. blockweight was not even a variable in bitcoin or testnet or segnet's consensus.h until only a few weeks ago

as for the stuff about bip109. read it. maxwell was making blind assumptions,
Nice straw man Greg. Where does it say that https://poolbeta.bitcoin.com/login is a "classic" mining pool? You have no idea what clients we are testing with on TEST NET.
but later admitted he didnt know what code the nodes were running or why. meaning he had no clue,(he even says it was just a hypoethis)
What are you testing? What system are you attempting to validate by making Bitcoin Classic unable to use testnet and making BIP 109 perpetually unusable there?
Were you testing if people would notice that a BIP 109 signaling miner that was not enforcing the BIP 109 rules would go unnoticed until is significantly broke a network? If so-- I think you've confirmed that hypothesis.

and knowing he lost the argument because he didnt know how or why, he then started to talk about rogers investment amounts as a subtle way to drop the subject without having to actually say he was wrong by making assumptions.

anyway you have meandered these posts off topic to avoid the question.

using the CONSENSUS mechanism where there is no intentional split(no blacklisting) and because the remaining 5% gets rejected/orphaned to keep the chain going in a single direction the majority is agreeing to.
again emphasis using the same consensus mechanism that takes care of bitcoin every single day.
again not meandering down your false doomsday of intentional splits

where is the problem?
remember people running full nodes want to remain full nodes, they dont want to be blinded. so ofcourse the minority that didnt upgrade will upgrade, to avoid seeing orphans and avoid other issues, and remain full nodes.

full nodes want to be full nodes for good practical reasons of decentralization, security to protect bitcoins immutability, etc etc
if they wanted to be a blind node they might aswell run multibit
there would be no logical reason for a full node to choose to run as a blind node where they are not validating all the data they receive
there would be no logical reason for a full node to choose to run as a blind node where they are wasting bandwidth on orphans
there would be no logical reason for a full node to choose to run as a blind node where they they cant trust 0-1 confirms due to orphans

again reply in context of a consensus.. not your dooms day intentional split controversial rhetoric

Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 11:06:39 AM

I know the idea of a hard fork scares people. Its fucking scary.
I honestly don't know how I feel about it, myself.
I've been watching the Etherium fork to see what will happen, but I think I still need more time to make my mind up.

Confirmation time is a big deal.
You are never going to get a physical store to accept a payment that takes close to an hour to confirm.
This means we are limiting Bitcoin to an online payment system. If that is what is intended, maybe its okay.
But if we want to move the system forward, maybe its time to discuss these other options.

If bitcoin doesn't evolve, it will go the way of the dinosaur.
I'm going to start investing a little bit of money in some of these other coins like Monero in case they end up being the next big thing, I guess....

franky1
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 11:40:26 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2016, 10:29:06 PM by franky1

consensual forks are not scary. orphans take over the minority, and thats the point. thats what the consensus mechanism is all about.
its the doomsday of intentional splits (like ethereum intentionally split) which is a separate thing, called controversial, which are scary.

no one is saying we should logically do a controversial split. apart from the core fanboys who veto a consensual agreement, and by this are saying the only way to increase the capacity buffer is to split.. simply with their veto power

all because they dont want increased capacity, and are telling people how scary controversial splits are because they themselves fear consensual capacity increases as it will de-incentivise the (heavily invested corporate) need to go offchain

posternat

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:59:18 PM

I honestly don't know how I feel about it, myself.
I've been watching the Etherium fork to see what will happen, but I think I still need more time to make my mind up.

Confirmation time is a big deal.
You are never going to get a physical store to accept a payment that takes close to an hour to confirm.
This means we are limiting Bitcoin to an online payment system. If that is what is intended, maybe its okay.
But if we want to move the system forward, maybe its time to discuss these other options.

If bitcoin doesn't evolve, it will go the way of the dinosaur.
I'm going to start investing a little bit of money in some of these other coins like Monero in case they end up being the next big thing, I guess....

Those people will by default fall onto the preexisting blockchain and if the other flies and that gets left behind and scuttled, they would have no idea until it is too late. 
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 17, 2016, 02:42:08 PM

Is this Franky guy just a total troll? I'm feeling like I've been trolled. Can't believe I took like 45 minutes to write that post, only to have him ignore every single point, yet again. And here he is, foaming at the mouth, babbling incoherently about "core fanboys" and "monero is the future."
Several people have given them more than plenty of chances here, but they usually just seem to write up huge posts of flawed nonsense. They're very persistent with their flawed understanding of the underlying protocol, in addition to trolling members with high knowledge (e.g. DannyHamilton). Basically if you do not want what they want, you are one of the following or more (according to them:
1) A Core fanboy living in a delusion.
2) Blockstream shill.
3) Monero shill.

all because they dont want increased capacity, and are telling people how scary controversial splits are because they themselves fear consensual capacity increases as it will de-incentivise the (heavily invested corporate) need to go offchain
We've already discussed the on-chain capabilities of Bitcoin, which currently are far from what certain groups are advertising for.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
illyiller

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 06:31:43 PM

as for the stuff about bip109. read it. maxwell was making blind assumptions,
Nice straw man Greg. Where does it say that https://poolbeta.bitcoin.com/login is a "classic" mining pool? You have no idea what clients we are testing with on TEST NET.

Wait a second. I read the whole thread. Ver's answer is kinda bullshit. If you read the thread and look at his pool's blocks, he was flagging blocks as BIP 109 compatible. He was also mining on Bitcoin Classic's testnet. But he was really running BU. So he forked the testnet (he had the most hash power but was mining an invalid chain).

I would echo Greg here: What exactly was he testing?---That he could break everything by flagging support for BIP 109 but not enforcing its rules? Grin

Oh, that's because he was running BU. Grin Now you see why BU flagging support for protocols it does not support is dangerous. But hey, if Classic/BU can break Classic testnet, why not put it on mainnet, right?

Roll Eyes
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 06:34:16 PM

If you are interested about bitcoin forks, we have created a telegram group: https://telegram.me/BTCFork join us Smiley.
illyiller

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 06:39:19 PM

consensual forks are not scary. orphans take over the minority, and thats the point. thats what the consensus mechanism is all about.
its the doomsday of intentional splits (like ethereum intentionally split) which is a separate thing, called controversial, which are scary.

Ethereum did not intentionally split. Vitalik and his chronies intentionally hard forked, but they assumed that by having the support of the major mining pool administrators and client/wallet developers (IOW, a dozen or two people), that the original chain would just die. But of course it didn't. Users remained, speculators speculated, miners returned to the original chain. It was not intentional. That's why the Ethereum Foundation told exchanges to ignore the original chain and ignore replay attacks. They planned on the original chain just dying. Silly, especially in a case where the hard fork rewrites history.

If you are interested about bitcoin forks, we have created a telegram group: https://telegram.me/BTCFork join us Smiley.

Hmmm. No thanks. Good luck.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: