Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:39:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you buy a house?  (Read 8728 times)
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 09:00:55 PM
Last edit: October 30, 2010, 10:09:32 AM by nelisky

So I have a house on the market... it's in southern Brazil, near Joinville, about 500 Km south of São Paulo. It's a spacious 2 bedroom house (with 3 bathrooms, go figure) and has a detached house to rebuild, a place for the car and bbq and washing machines as an annex, has almost 10000 square meters of land, a lake, etc.

Would you buy a house for Bitcoins? Is it too early in the game? I haven't spoken to the missy's about that, obviously, but if there was real interest (from someone with enough coins) I would certainly be game Smiley

~500k coins is the direct dollar to bitcoin conversion, but I'd probably want a little extra margin, for the risk (and because I will need to eventually cash in those coins, and fees for these amounts are a pain)

So folks, is there a market this big already?.

EDIT: Proposals using bitcoins, money and other commodities and currencies will be considered, but bitcoins should always be there, if modestly so Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 09:11:28 PM

So I have a house on the market... it's in southern Brazil, near Joinville, about 500 Km south of São Paulo. It's a spacious 2 bedroom house (with 3 bathrooms, go figure) and has a detached house to rebuild, a place for the car and bbq and washing machines as an annex, has almost 10000 square meters of land, a lake, etc.

Would you buy a house for Bitcoins? Is it too early in the game? I haven't spoken to the missy's about that, obviously, but if there was real interest (from someone with enough coins) I would certainly be game Smiley

~500k coins is the direct dollar to bitcoin conversion, but I'd probably want a little extra margin, for the risk (and because I will need to eventually cash in those coins, and fees for these amounts are a pain)

So folks, is there a market this big already?.

I don't have 500 kbc, but I'm in for 1,500 bc.  However, you don't seem very serious about selling this house.

nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 09:23:00 PM

I don't have 500 kbc, but I'm in for 1,500 bc.  However, you don't seem very serious about selling this house.

Well, for 1.5K no, I'm not serious at all Smiley It's not an auction because I will not sell for less than what I paid for, which is what I advertised. I am dead serious about selling it, though, as it is on the market already.

I do not know if I will sell it for bitcoins, because right now it is very hard to convert them to cash even for small amounts, and I will need the cash. I could be persuaded to do part bitcoins though, and even all bitcoins if the market trend continues in the upward direction, but you are right, this is just a discussion starter, not (yet) an actual proposal.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 09:27:44 PM

Well, for 1.5K no, I'm not serious at all Smiley It's not an auction because I will not sell for less than what I paid for, which is what I advertised. I am dead serious about selling it, though, as it is on the market already.

Well, in an auction, you can always buy yourself before the end, in case you're really not happy with the highest bid.

TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 03:00:29 AM

These larger transactions make the currency stronger, as any sound currency does. If I went to MtGox and bought up 200,000 coins and drove the price to $1.25 each, would you consider 200,000 coins? (I am not bidding on your house, only example)

In a fiat regime, you just print up what you need, and let everyone else worry about the debasement.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Anonymous

October 30, 2010, 04:03:02 AM

Does satoshi,knightmb or artforz need a house?  Cheesy
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 05:31:09 AM

I do not know if I will sell it for bitcoins, because right now it is very hard to convert them to cash even for small amounts, and I will need the cash. I could be persuaded to do part bitcoins though, and even all bitcoins if the market trend continues in the upward direction, but you are right, this is just a discussion starter, not (yet) an actual proposal.

You could consider bitcoins as part of the sale price.  In the same way that appliances and window dressings are negotiable, so is the actual trade currency.  Beyond what is required to pay the note, anyway.  On your regular ad, just put a little blurb about "alternative currencies will be considered".  Your more likely to get a mixed offer with Euros, precious metal, or a vehicle than bitcoins; but there is no reason to be picky.

Considering that there are only about 4 million bitcoins in circulation at this time, I doubt that anyone has 500K bitcoins.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2010, 05:33:39 AM

such purchase would cause very large fluctuations on the market

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 05:36:52 AM

Does satoshi,knightmb or artforz need a house?  Cheesy

Considering how private an individual Satoshi seems to be, I wonder what the odds are that he is another 12 year old hacker genius like DVD Jon; and his father won't let him interact too deeply with the crazy American crypto-geeks without parental oversight.

Of course, by now he would probably be 14.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

Anonymous

October 30, 2010, 05:47:15 AM

I can afford the front step of the house. Cheesy
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 06:58:08 AM

I'll buy a chair near the lake for 100 BTC!

nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 10:08:07 AM

I'll buy a chair near the lake for 100 BTC!

It's great for fishing! You get a seat by the lake with 1Kg fish in it Smiley But you'll have to discuss that with whoever buys the house.
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 10:12:59 AM

These larger transactions make the currency stronger, as any sound currency does. If I went to MtGox and bought up 200,000 coins and drove the price to $1.25 each, would you consider 200,000 coins? (I am not bidding on your house, only example)

In a fiat regime, you just print up what you need, and let everyone else worry about the debasement.

I don't think I could trust a spike in the price as basis for negotiating. If you would do that and a week passed, bcm and mtgox both had solid volume on that price range, sure.

Also, according to the values you provide you would be paying 2.5x what I requested originally, which obviously gave me a buffer to work with, but I would have to see how the markets reacted for a few days before accepting, I guess.
nelisky (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 11:09:44 AM

4 million bitcoins in circulation at this time.
Correct me if I'm wrong. I have read this is hard coded number in the system. If this is true, the btc economy is far lower than it nowadays. This number was not reached yet as the network is still mining coins.

I will bid 1 btc for the house photos Smiley

Valerius

Hard coded to 21M, we're at 4.43 right now.

I didn't put photos on purpose. They will be provided to real prospective buyers with good reputation Wink Ya know, privacy paranoid. I will try and come up with a few that don't give too much on the exact location though.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 04:42:50 PM

I don't think I could trust a spike in the price as basis for negotiating. If you would do that and a week passed, bcm and mtgox both had solid volume on that price range, sure.

Also, according to the values you provide you would be paying 2.5x what I requested originally, which obviously gave me a buffer to work with, but I would have to see how the markets reacted for a few days before accepting, I guess.

Well, I would buy the 200,00th coin at $1.25. Assume my average price paid was 60c for 200,000 coins. Bad example by me, but I think I'm stating my point.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
October 30, 2010, 10:17:09 PM

4 million bitcoins in circulation at this time.
Valerius

Please do not add markups to my words when you quote them, unless you are willing to note that the emphasis is yours, not mine.  It could change the interpretation of the statement, once edited out of context and the emphasis altered.  You really shouldn't do this for anyone, it's bad form.

Anonymous

October 31, 2010, 12:21:08 AM

Maybe someone has already generated most of the coins they would need. In which case they wouldn't have to buy as many.

hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
October 31, 2010, 06:09:52 PM

What about buying it between a group of some bitcoiners and create the first bitcoin republic? Smiley

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
xxmalouinxx

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 31, 2010, 07:33:29 PM

Hehe, it remember me when rumor has that Pirate Bay wanted to buy Sealand =)
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
October 31, 2010, 08:53:36 PM

What about buying it between a group of some bitcoiners and create the first bitcoin republic? Smiley

A republic in a house ??

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: