Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:18:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Required Specs for Mining  (Read 3610 times)
Alcatonic (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 05:57:46 AM

What are the minimum specs for a comp to mine....

and is the computer dedicated or can it still be utilized for other functions while mining?

Thanks
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Alik

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:41:52 AM

Just figure how many mhash per second you can safely mine and calculate with difficulty and current value.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 06:49:39 AM
Last edit: June 13, 2011, 07:15:06 AM by phillipsjk

To participate as a node relaying the block chain and transactions, a Pentium III is probably enough.

If you actually want to make bitcoin, you probably need to run several (ATI) GPUs or go with something more exotic like FPGAs/ASICs or "Big Iron". For GPUs I think the 4xxx series will work, the 5xxx series has best bang for you buck if you can find them, and the 6xxx series is currently being manufactured. For powering high-powered cards, you need a good power supply, preferably with Active Power Factor correction. You also may want to invest in a Watt meter like the kill-a-Watt and map your wiring before getting into mining in a big way.

My plan is to act as a node with token hashing power (drawing only 12 Watts from the wall with my sub-notebook) for about a year, and buy some Bitcoin as an investment. After a year, I may sell bitcoins to buy something like This. I think that machine would do very well CPU mining; though likely drawing quite a bit of power. I would only turn on "threads" as network hashing power drops (to protect the network and my investment in Bitcoin). Edit: that sever has hardware acceleration for SHA-256 (used in bitcoin mining (doesn't sound like per-core though))

Edit: the rated power draw is given as "cooling 7030 Btu/hr" (2060 Watts): you can't plug that into a standard home power outlet.

Edit2: This one seems to be much better for "home" use: 9.4 Amps at 100 V, 4.7 amps at 200 V. Using those numbers the big one is about twice as power efficient though.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
nhodges

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 06:52:18 AM

and is the computer dedicated or can it still be utilized for other functions while mining?

Thanks

There's no minimum specs, but if you're asking what GPU you should go out and get, refer to the table at http://bitminer.info for an accurate depiction of bitcoin generation vs card and energy cost.

owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 07:03:17 PM

~i;m mining on my phone! :0-)WEEEEEE
robertsu

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:35:52 PM

fail!

hehehehehe
aa

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

Litecoin is right coin

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 07:39:10 PM

Thanks

There's no minimum specs, but if you're asking what GPU you should go out and get, refer to the table at http://bitminer.info for an accurate depiction of bitcoin generation vs card and energy cost.
That chart is horribly incorrect.

owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 01:44:49 AM

fail!

hehehehehe

my jobless friends are hating on my phone! ;)LMAO
Pages: [1]
  Print