Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 01:18:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Expect ransomware arrests soon, says bitcoin tracking firm Chainalysis  (Read 2392 times)
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 01:52:46 PM

This design for a payment network is reckless and I wonder for somebody buying and selling actual goods for Bitcoin how many troubles they encounter over a year and how many times they worry over who is paying them Bitcoin and where it comes from.

So what is your solution here? Instead of bitcoin we should switch to monero or something? Because Monero while anonymous is not really breaking the market charts.
Plus, it is not accepted by any mainstream serious service. If we want cryptocurrency to be accepted as legal tender, we unfortunately must be doing it under some sort of law.

Azael (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 02:02:56 PM

Innocent until proven guilty. Even if you can prove the funds came from a particular address, you would have to prove intent, and ownership of the addresses in question.

Right. What if you bought X Bitcoins from Y with let's say Litecoin and you find out from the police a while later they came from an adress that was from a theft?

And let's say the message history etc has been removed since. Then they can prove it came from a particular address and coming up with some 'intent' sounds easy you wanted some money right? And you'd proven ownership of the 2nd address in question by making let's say USD withdrawals from Bitstamp.

Now the only thing missing it that you unlock the sender of the Bitcoins address which you can't but if you could why would you do that? If you can then you're guilty.

I think a case could be made with just this information and digging up some messages on your computer to build some form of intent for this.

twitter.com/erikledgers
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 02:45:21 PM

Plus, it is not accepted by any mainstream serious service. If we want cryptocurrency to be accepted as legal tender, we unfortunately must be doing it under some sort of law.

... and then it has lost its purpose, and you better use fiat.  Much easier, less hassle, less mining.
Azael (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 02:58:24 PM

This design for a payment network is reckless and I wonder for somebody buying and selling actual goods for Bitcoin how many troubles they encounter over a year and how many times they worry over who is paying them Bitcoin and where it comes from.

So what is your solution here? Instead of bitcoin we should switch to monero or something? Because Monero while anonymous is not really breaking the market charts.

For payments Monero is better than Bitcoin in current form Bitcoin can of course change but I don't see that change happening. I have since long considered Bitcoin more like digital gold than currency anyway.

Give it some time Monero is starting out the same way Bitcoin did. Physical stores usually accept cash so why can't compliant e-commerce accept e-cash?

twitter.com/erikledgers
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1454

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 03:00:03 PM

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/450302807/Expect-ransomware-arrests-soon-says-bitcoin-tracking-firm-Chainalysis

What are your thoughts on this? When you trade Bitcoin with someone you might be getting tainted coins that put you in danger.

You are putting too much thought in the issue. "Tainted coins" and "fungibility" are an overused concept and some people think it that it will affect the "value" of their bitcoins.

People put too little thought into this. Forget the block size debate if you don't even have a payment network where buyer and seller are safe.

It's not about the value of my Bitcoins I have since long considered them more like digital gold than currency anyway.

Take this example you buy some Bitcoins from X and the next thing you know the police wants to know where you got them who you bought it from who you are etc etc they want to dig into you like really waste your time and well whatever it is they do. Perhaps they make you give up the seller to prove your innocence who turns out to be some madman?

Now maybe this doesn't concern you but tell me for somebody wanting to use Bitcoin as a currency like actually buying goods outside DNMs why would you?

Do you really think that the authorities will act in such a way without it becoming an issue too? That would be reckless on their part also. In what was the concept of protect and serve in the police system will now be thrown out the window. But how can you call this design as reckless? A public ledger made for all to see your transactions is not a reckless design. In fact it should be used by all the governments around the world so that its citizens will be aware where all their taxes are going. Transparency in bitcoin's design is not reckless. But the people enforcing the law will be.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Azael (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 03:30:52 PM

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/450302807/Expect-ransomware-arrests-soon-says-bitcoin-tracking-firm-Chainalysis

What are your thoughts on this? When you trade Bitcoin with someone you might be getting tainted coins that put you in danger.

You are putting too much thought in the issue. "Tainted coins" and "fungibility" are an overused concept and some people think it that it will affect the "value" of their bitcoins.

People put too little thought into this. Forget the block size debate if you don't even have a payment network where buyer and seller are safe.

It's not about the value of my Bitcoins I have since long considered them more like digital gold than currency anyway.

Take this example you buy some Bitcoins from X and the next thing you know the police wants to know where you got them who you bought it from who you are etc etc they want to dig into you like really waste your time and well whatever it is they do. Perhaps they make you give up the seller to prove your innocence who turns out to be some madman?

Now maybe this doesn't concern you but tell me for somebody wanting to use Bitcoin as a currency like actually buying goods outside DNMs why would you?

Do you really think that the authorities will act in such a way without it becoming an issue too? That would be reckless on their part also. In what was the concept of protect and serve in the police system will now be thrown out the window. But how can you call this design as reckless? A public ledger made for all to see your transactions is not a reckless design. In fact it should be used by all the governments around the world so that its citizens will be aware where all their taxes are going. Transparency in bitcoin's design is not reckless. But the people enforcing the law will be.

In the ideal world you describe this design is not reckless but it is not an ideal world so it is reckless.

I'm not gonna guess what authorities may or may not do because but looking at various predecessors of Bitcoin it will likely be retarded.

Like say you buy Bitcoins that are unbeknownst to you tainted and you cash them out and the FBI track you down 2 years later. They'd get a search warrant for your property with ease, harass your family and embarrass you infront of your neighbors while treating you like a criminal. And it would likely take time before they know they're barking up the wrong tree. Your time and your distress for buying a tainted Bitcoin.

twitter.com/erikledgers
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1008

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 03:43:31 PM

I don't think even they arrest they can't prove that guy/person is involved directly with ransomware. Bitcoin tracking firm  Huh this should be considered as just joke, how they gonna track mixed coins ?  Roll Eyes

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
awesome31312

Activity: 826
Merit: 504

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 05:00:40 PM

Innocent until proven guilty. Even if you can prove the funds came from a particular address, you would have to prove intent, and ownership of the addresses in question.

This is where the flaw in the system is shown. Do you think that the justice system is really fair? That it cannot be "rigged" and the judge influenced to make a verdict in favor of the authorities? Do you still believe in your justice system?

No, I do not. I have seen too many examples of the justice system doing wrong to people, for example, DPR.

Account recovered 08-12-2019
vlom
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1117

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 06:03:15 PM

this text is horrible. it just sounds like advertising or PR. why don't they write something about the tech they are using. they just repeat and repeat that they will find everybody who is using BTC for illegal stuff.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 07:42:42 PM

Like say you buy Bitcoins that are unbeknownst to you tainted and you cash them out and the FBI track you down 2 years later. They'd get a search warrant for your property with ease, harass your family and embarrass you infront of your neighbors while treating you like a criminal. And it would likely take time before they know they're barking up the wrong tree. Your time and your distress for buying a tainted Bitcoin.

Ok. So kindly explain to me where bitcoin's design became reckless there. Because all I see is your FBI story that does not prove or show the recklessness of the design and it only shows how the FBI could harass and embarass you.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Azael (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 09:43:09 PM

Ok. So kindly explain to me where bitcoin's design became reckless there. Because all I see is your FBI story that does not prove or show the recklessness of the design and it only shows how the FBI could harass and embarass you.

Already told you in the text you edited out

twitter.com/erikledgers
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:52:32 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2016, 03:00:54 PM by Spoetnik

@Azael
All your logic & reasoning here is a Fail-Train.

You have as much chance of being accused of that scenario with Bitcoin
..as you do with FIAT.

So your analogy is dog shit bud LOL

What if i wind up with money that passed through a drug dealers hands i am going to get busted ?
Not bloody likely.
Maybe once exception.. a Bank's Die pack from a robbery.

I see you're trying but i don't see it working with us all.
Laws exist for a reason.
I don't see pushing the anon coin route then bragging about dark market activity as a good thing.
Monero was doomed and they simply stepped up the time frame now.
Rather than working on being more compliant they went the opposite way with it.
This is not going to help adoption.
I don't see how anyone could think it could either.

Keep trying Monero shill.
I seen you popping up occasionally with these topics before.
I can tell you are on a mission and most likely one of the other Monero shills we know well.
I would not be surprised if you were FEBO.

FUD first & ask questions later™
bbc.reporter
Legendary

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 07:16:22 AM

You mean this?

In the ideal world you describe this design is not reckless but it is not an ideal world so it is reckless.

It does not even say or prove anything. It only says bitcoin's design is reckless according to your statement and according to you. So what if the world is not ideal, it does not make it automatically mean that bitcoin's design is reckless.

.Duelbits.
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Azael (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 11:58:17 AM
Last edit: September 17, 2016, 12:15:57 PM by Azael

You mean this?

It does not even say or prove anything. It only says bitcoin's design is reckless according to your statement and according to you. So what if the world is not ideal, it does not make it automatically mean that bitcoin's design is reckless.

If the world was ideal there wouldn't be any tainted coins nor any criminals. But it's not ideal and there are tainted coins and criminals.

You can read about these problems for others here https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/4v28jl/how_have_fungiblity_problems_affected_you_in/

Let's say you have a crossroad with no stoplights. And for arguments sake it is the deadliest crossroad in the US where people collide on a monthly basis. Well you as an architect take no responsibility for this crossroad and insist that the design is not reckless and refuse stoplights.. it is always the drivers fault. And who can prove anything else it is not the absence of the stoplights that is killing them but another car! Right?

Come on man.

twitter.com/erikledgers
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:39:56 PM

The problem with Monero is simple - it has no future as many would think. They only way for cryptocurrency to grow bigger and evolve is market acceptance.
Every serious cryptocurrency should be have its use. What is the point of totally anonymous coin when no one accept it and with current legal framework no one ever will.
Unfortunately there is no place for fully anonymous coins as regulation is name of the game for any crypto aiming to be considered valid FIAT replacement.
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 01:15:49 PM

All anon coins have one huge problem:

People cant buy and/or sell greater amounts of coins anonymously.
You have to use a third party service like an exchange or similar.

The only way would be to mine it and just buy on dark markets.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
Azael (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 02:16:56 PM

The problem with Monero is simple - it has no future as many would think. They only way for cryptocurrency to grow bigger and evolve is market acceptance.
Every serious cryptocurrency should be have its use. What is the point of totally anonymous coin when no one accept it and with current legal framework no one ever will.
Unfortunately there is no place for fully anonymous coins as regulation is name of the game for any crypto aiming to be considered valid FIAT replacement.

Give it some time Monero is starting out the same way Bitcoin did. Physical stores usually accept cash so why can't compliant e-commerce accept e-cash?

twitter.com/erikledgers
Azael (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 02:53:35 PM

I would not be surprised if you were FEBO.

Sure I can be whoever you want me to be. The rest of your post is already adressed so not gonna beat that dead horse.

twitter.com/erikledgers
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 03:09:50 PM

The dead horse is Monero..

As Snorek said..
You are not drinking the water no matter how many times we lead you to it.
But hey saddle up and ride into the bright Monero sunset if that is what you want.

These guys have made some very fair and honest criticisms of Monero i think though.
I say that from my own neutral perspective.. i don't have a dog in the race though.

I think some of you ..all the FEBO's out there are blinded by the mystical razzle dazzle of smooth & crew.
They seem to have some of you worked up into a frenzied fever pitch..
Liemz OMGZ Da Moneroz are the Futurez !!!!!111ONE

Well good luck with that..

And yeah that last analogy was pittiful.
Give 'em up ..you are not good at them.

@Azael

And i also take offense to your incessant comparisons to Bitcoin.
This offends my beliefs  Angry

FUD first & ask questions later™
Azael (OP)

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 03:23:08 PM

All anon coins have one huge problem:

People cant buy and/or sell greater amounts of coins anonymously.
You have to use a third party service like an exchange or similar.

The only way would be to mine it and just buy on dark markets.

Monero ATMs doing cash to e-cash and vice versa might solve the entry problem. What do you think? Seems a step up from cash to e-cash transaction by meeting a person.

twitter.com/erikledgers
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: