Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:01:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: We will have dollar parity all over again  (Read 2555 times)
Le Happy Merchant (OP)

Activity: 634
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:01:31 PM

When one Bitcoin hit parity with the dollar it was a big deal. I wasn't here to see it, but I have been looking through articles from back then, and old posts.

I just want to point out that we are once again approaching a dollar parity benchmark. One centibitcoin will (possibly) be worth $1.00 on open exchange.

I would like to suggest a gradual shift in the mentality of Bitcoin pricing. I feel that it is less daunting in the long run to denominate $1000/BTC as $10/cBTC.

While I have no proof to back this claim up, I believe this will ultimately lead to stickier prices. While this may not please speculators, it would lead to a healthier Bitcoin economy, and a better public image.

Thoughts, rebuttals?

You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dansker

Activity: 740

Hello world!

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:08:36 PM

Well I agree.

I would be better if we called 0.0001 bitcoins "1 bitcoin".

Then we'd leave space for future price-hikes too.

Rothgar

Activity: 374
Merit: 250

Tune in to Neocash Radio

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 07:12:35 PM

I think it should just skip right to milliBTC (mBTC).  Now, one mBTC is trading around 9.2 US cents.  I think this is a fine trading unit.

Visit http://neocashradio.com for the premier weekly bitcoin podcast.
Follow neocashradio on twitter.  https://twitter.com/NeocashRadio
ehoffman

Activity: 378

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:13:33 PM

Of course, it would be easier to use Bit-cents, but there already mechanism in place for milli-Bitcoins, in Bitcoin-qt at least.  I think we'll get there eventually.

With ordinary stocks, usually, when the issue occur, there is a "split", where each share is split in 10 shares each weighting 10 times less (for example... the number is arbitrary).  So, one day, you have 10 shares at 150$, the next you have 100 shares at 15$.  You have the same amount, but fur us, puny weekly minded humans, it's easier to "deal" with less-than-100$ shares.  So, I guess the same limit does apply for Bitcoins in our minds.  We think that >100$ is too high, not worth buying, etc.  But let's say tomorrow we have 0.1$/mBTC, then one could easily see the potential of mBTC raising to .15$, .2$, etc.

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
ryepdx

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 07:17:04 PM

True facts. Plus denominating the price in mBTC helps make the price swings seem less wild. Moving a couple cents up or down in a day seems a lot less unnerving than moving ten or twenty dollars in a day.

Personally, I'm looking forward to dollar parity with uBTC.
mumung

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:01:34 PM

Last week I stumbled over one question that I didn't have an answer for, maybe uou guys can help.
Let's assume one Satoshi at some point reaches dollar parity, let's assume further that
I want to purchase a cd worth $10 but with ten Satoshis.
Here is the question: What will be the transaction fee, if the Satoshis
aren't further divisible? If I had to pay one Satoshi for the transaction, that would equal
10% and would probably have me buying it somewhere else. So would the network only charge fees
over a certain transaction value to keep the percentage of the transaction low, or would it simply result in buying or transacting only larger sums in order to keep the transaction fee low.

thx.
chriswilmer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 08:05:29 PM

Last week I stumbled over one question that I didn't have an answer for, maybe uou guys can help.
Let's assume one Satoshi at some point reaches dollar parity, let's assume further that
aren't further divisible? If I had to pay one Satoshi for the transaction, that would equal
10% and would probably have me buying it somewhere else. So would the network only charge fees
over a certain transaction value to keep the percentage of the transaction low, or would it simply result in buying or transacting only larger sums in order to keep the transaction fee low.

thx.

My assumption is that if we reached that point (a very good problem to have!) we would all suffer through another hard-fork to add extra decimal places to the protocol. If we failed to do that, it would mean very good things for alt-currencies like litecoin.
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 08:07:17 PM

I think it should just skip right to milliBTC (mBTC).  Now, one mBTC is trading around 9.2 US cents.  I think this is a fine trading unit.

I also like mBTC.  It will be good for a while and many smaller things are price-able in it.  Larger price, then BTC.

Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:39:05 PM

don't you mean dollar parity with the Satoshi. I'm sure you did. Just clarifying it for others Cheesy

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 09:24:29 PM

thx.

My assumption is that if we reached that point (a very good problem to have!) we would all suffer through another hard-fork to add extra decimal places to the protocol. If we failed to do that, it would mean very good things for alt-currencies like litecoin.

This...a Satoshi would be like our current Bitcoin. We would just have Satoshicents, mSTS, etc.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:16:26 PM

I like thinking in mBTC. SealsWithClubs already does that.

So we can start using mBTC s the default when we refer to a quantity of "bitcoin", and then just use something like "kilo coin" to refer to the 100,000,000 satoshis quantity (1 full/current btc).

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:22:09 PM

Of course, it would be easier to use Bit-cents, but there already mechanism in place for milli-Bitcoins, in Bitcoin-qt at least.  I think we'll get there eventually.

Why so it does. I switched to mBTC and now instead of lamenting how few coins I have left, I am now overjoyed that I have thousands!

I know for a fact nothing has changed, but the chimp brain is strong in this one!

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:24:55 PM

I like thinking in mBTC. SealsWithClubs already does that.

So we can start using mBTC s the default when we refer to a quantity of "bitcoin", and then just use something like "kilo coin" to refer to the 100,000,000 satoshis quantity (1 full/current btc).

There are SI standard prefixes for a reason.  Arbitrarily changing kilo to mean a multiplier of 1/100000000 instead of a multiplier of 1000 would not be productive.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
jzcjca00

Activity: 263

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:54:38 PM

I recently did some research on Bitcoin units, and it seems that many Bitcoin users don't like naming every factor of 10.  The BitDime and BitCent are not popular names, perhaps partly because they are just USD units with "Bit" added as a prefix.  This is a global currency, so we need to listen to the opinions of those whose first language is not English.

The most popular subdivisions seem to be:

.001 BTC = 1 mBTC = 1 millibitcoin, a few have suggested nick naming it "BitMil".

.000001 BTC = 1 uBTC = 1 microbitcoin, a few have suggested nick naming it "BitMicro".

.00000001 BTC = 1 Satoshi.

I personally wish the original protocol had used 9 decimal places, because I like the name "nano" for the smallest unit.  It just sounds cool to me.  Maybe someday it will.

I recently started tracking my holdings in Quicken using their multi-currency feature.  They allow you to add currencies not in their list.  I set it up using BTC, but that didn't work when I needed to enter a transaction fee of BTC 0.0005.  Quicken only uses two digits past the decimal.

So now I'm tracking things in mBTC.  They required a 3-character code, so I used MBC.  It's working great so far, as the typical transaction fee is 0.5 MBC.  I'm looking forward to the day when I have to switch to UBC, not because some jerk sent me 1 Satoshi, but because ill be very rich when we get to that point!

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2013, 11:03:56 PM

I personally wish the original protocol had used 9 decimal places, because I like the name "nano" for the smallest unit.  It just sounds cool to me.  Maybe someday it will.

Sorry. Computers think in groups of 8. Just the way life is.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Aozora21

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:04:47 PM

I recently did some research on Bitcoin units, and it seems that many Bitcoin users don't like naming every factor of 10.  The BitDime and BitCent are not popular names, perhaps partly because they are just USD units with "Bit" added as a prefix.  This is a global currency, so we need to listen to the opinions of those whose first language is not English.

The most popular subdivisions seem to be:

.001 BTC = 1 mBTC = 1 millibitcoin, a few have suggested nick naming it "BitMil".

.000001 BTC = 1 uBTC = 1 microbitcoin, a few have suggested nick naming it "BitMicro".

.00000001 BTC = 1 Satoshi.

I recently started tracking my holdings in Quicken using their multi-currency feature.  They allow you to add currencies not in their list.  I set it up using BTC, but that didn't work when I needed to enter a transaction fee of BTC 0.0005.  Quicken only uses two digits past the decimal.

So now I'm tracking things in mBTC.  They required a 3-character code, so I used MBC.  It's working great so far, as the typical transaction fee is 0.5 MBC.  I'm looking forward to the day when I have to switch to UBC, not because some jerk sent me 1 Satoshi, but because ill be very rich when we get to that point!

i wonder how long it would be before we get there
jzcjca00

Activity: 263

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:30:11 PM

i wonder how long it would be before we get there

Hard to make an accurate prediction, as it basically depends on crowd think, and too many events we have no control over.

In one scenario I've imagined, the citizens of some country with a long history of unstable currency, like Argentina for example, decide to ignore the official currency and use Bitcoin.  Then maybe people from some other countries join in when their currency experiences hyperinflation.  Maybe we get some positive press about a thriving economy in various places where people are refusing to use the official national currency.

Maybe people everywhere start thinking of Bitcoin as a backup currency for when their national currency fails.

Then maybe the Eurozone collapses, and one or two countries just decide to do away with central banks and their old currencies, and just make Bitcoin their official currency.

As with the adoption of the metric system, the U.S. may be the last country stupidly clinging to their dollar when everyone else has already switched over.

That's just one possible scenario.

Tips much appreciated! 1PPJHDawPvjh6MEzsvXrMYLgpLmyAaNXUc
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:31:27 PM

+1, get ahead of the curve dont follow behind it.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 01:33:48 AM

microbits sounds nifty.

also used in some scifi/cyber-/cypherpunk novels afai remember. Quite prophetic.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 02:05:09 AM

I think you're thinking too much, one thing at a time...

The renaming is already planned for when 1 satoshi = 1$
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: