Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:22:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Polaris bios editor parameter info  (Read 5161 times)
brizio71 (OP)

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

Blockchain Just Entered The Real World

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 03:05:35 PM

Hello,

I'm playing with the bios of my XFX RX470 4GB, what is need the TDP and TDC parameters on Powertune Tab ?

thx

▄▄███████▄▄       ▐█     █▌         ██          ▐██████▄▄       ▐██████▄          ██         ▐█▄        █▌    ███████▌
 ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄     ▐█     █▌        █▌▐█         ▐█   ▀▀██▄     ▐█   ▀█▌        █▌▐█        ▐███▄      █▌       █▌   
▐██▌        ▐██▌    ▐█     █▌       ██  ██        ▐█      ▐█▌    ▐█   ▄█▌       ██  ██       ▐█ ▀██▄    █▌       █▌   
███          ███    ▐█     █▌      ██   ██       ▐█       ██    ▐██████▀       ██   ██      ▐█   ▀██▄   █▌       █▌   
▐██▌   ██▄   ▐██▌    ▐█     █▌     ██████████      ▐█      ▐█▌    ▐█▀██▄        ██████████     ▐█    ▀██▄ █▌       █▌   
 ▀███▄▄ ▀██▄ ▀█▀     ▐█▄   ▄█▌    ██       ██     ▐█   ▄▄██▀     ▐█  ▀██▄     ██       ██    ▐█      ▀███▌       █▌   
   ▀▀█████▀██▄        ▀██████▀    ██         ██    ▐██████▀▀       ▐█   ▀█▌   ██         ██   ▐█        ▀█▌       █▌   
           ▀▀▀

A Blueprint for Mapping Decentralized Data

Telegram             Twitter             Medium             LinkedIn
██
██
██
██
██

Data Stamping
Constellation Creation
Enriched data and services
██
██
██
██
██

With Quadrant, any form of

Data can be Authenticated.
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
janos666

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 08:05:05 PM

I personally prefer to eradicate the power limiters (set them high enough to always be a no-op). This is how I run my 480 8Gb cards:

(and you can't see that on this screenshot but I copied the 1626-1750 timings to the 2000+ strap)

It would be nice if I could resize the window so that I could always see every items and their full content in every sub-window.
brizio71 (OP)

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

Blockchain Just Entered The Real World

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 10:21:42 PM

I personally prefer to eradicate the power limiters (set them high enough to always be a no-op). This is how I run my 480 8Gb cards:

(and you can't see that on this screenshot but I copied the 1626-1750 timings to the 2000+ strap)

It would be nice if I could resize the window so that I could always see every items and their full content in every sub-window.

In order to have less power drain is better decrease the TDP and TDC value ?

▄▄███████▄▄       ▐█     █▌         ██          ▐██████▄▄       ▐██████▄          ██         ▐█▄        █▌    ███████▌
 ▄███▀▀   ▀▀███▄     ▐█     █▌        █▌▐█         ▐█   ▀▀██▄     ▐█   ▀█▌        █▌▐█        ▐███▄      █▌       █▌   
▐██▌        ▐██▌    ▐█     █▌       ██  ██        ▐█      ▐█▌    ▐█   ▄█▌       ██  ██       ▐█ ▀██▄    █▌       █▌   
███          ███    ▐█     █▌      ██   ██       ▐█       ██    ▐██████▀       ██   ██      ▐█   ▀██▄   █▌       █▌   
▐██▌   ██▄   ▐██▌    ▐█     █▌     ██████████      ▐█      ▐█▌    ▐█▀██▄        ██████████     ▐█    ▀██▄ █▌       █▌   
 ▀███▄▄ ▀██▄ ▀█▀     ▐█▄   ▄█▌    ██       ██     ▐█   ▄▄██▀     ▐█  ▀██▄     ██       ██    ▐█      ▀███▌       █▌   
   ▀▀█████▀██▄        ▀██████▀    ██         ██    ▐██████▀▀       ▐█   ▀█▌   ██         ██   ▐█        ▀█▌       █▌   
           ▀▀▀

A Blueprint for Mapping Decentralized Data

Telegram             Twitter             Medium             LinkedIn
██
██
██
██
██

Data Stamping
Constellation Creation
Enriched data and services
██
██
██
██
██

With Quadrant, any form of

Data can be Authenticated.
janos666

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 06:14:06 AM

In order to have less power drain is better decrease the TDP and TDC value ?

Some people often argue they can squeeze out a few Watts decrease by finding the lowest possible PowerLimit (which is an offset applied to the TDP, so you can ignore/disable the PowerLimit offset when you have direct control of the TDP itself), although I think even if such a thing is real (but I think it's just a false perception due to the finite precision and accuracy of their measurements and tuning iterations because TDP ultimately controls [throttles or not] the core clock and very few if anything else, especially under heavy graphic or computing loads when you can't shut down computing blocks) it's not worth worrying about.

If you want the optimal settings I suggest you disable / work around the arbitrary limiters (like TDP) and:
- find the best memory clock + timing pair (not easy but the potential profit is high)
- find the lowest GPU core clock which is sufficient for that memory setting (not too hard but meaningful and thus profitable)
- try to under-volt the GPU core (I didn't manage to do that with the 480 yet, it's not the easiest part in practice)
(Keep in mind that AMD often uses hardware level dynamic voltage scaling since around Hawaii (R9 290X), so the voltage you think you modify is usually an offset for a target.)

Now you probably want to try and create another configuration which allows for lower voltage (loose timings, lower core clock, lower voltage), then compare the perf/Watt of these two configs and decide (or divine a third iteration).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: