Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 12:27:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Mine - SIA or LBRY with Claymore 7.0  (Read 5232 times)
Eyedol-X (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 09:01:47 PM

I've been mining SIA for a few weeks now on ally my rigs and decided to day to switch over to LBRY.

I noted, as other have, that LBRY caused the ETH hash rate to drop with Claymore's 7.0 miner. I lost about 4 ETH on my RX480 rigs and about 1.5 ETH on my R9390 rigs with the same -dcri settings I had been using for SIA.

For me I found to obtain the best ETH rate while still maintaining a good LBRY rate to use the following settings

RX480 - I find that -dcri 20 is best
R9390 - I find that -dcri 15 is best

Now this is just my experience but from my testing I see only a loss of ETH hash rate going higher than these values on my rigs. I do however see increased LBRY hash rate the higher I go.

I run my SIA configs with a -dcri of 32 for reference.

Now to my question -- this may be in another thread I already missed but what is everyone's thoughts currently on the below question:

SIA or LBRY? Which do you think is more profitable or will be more profitable in the future? Why do you think this?

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Q_R_V

Activity: 428
Merit: 250

Inactivity: 8963

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 09:59:47 PM

I would say SC, but it's just my wild guess. If you have higher hashrate with SC, then stay with SC.
SuchFlex.com

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 10:28:19 PM

The Claymore miner is pretty cool. Does anyone understand the details behind how the dual mining tech works? Seems like black magic.
sp_
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1087

Team Black developer

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:09:58 PM

Dual mining is slow and claymore is a lamer.

Team Black Miner (ETHB3 ETH ETC VTC KAWPOW FIROPOW MEOWPOW + dual mining + tripple mining.. https://github.com/sp-hash/TeamBlackMiner
Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:16:19 PM

The Claymore miner is pretty cool. Does anyone understand the details behind how the dual mining tech works? Seems like black magic.

I am new here too but even I know throwing things in the air and acting as if you dont know what happened will not help. Just ask how its done as this is what I gathered from your remark.

Dual mining isn't a new thing, it's just a newer way of doing it as Claymore has created a miner that does both in one miner.

To answer your question, you can "dual" or "multi-mine" by picking different coins and running their independent miners at the same time.

So for example you can use a CPU miner, a GPU miner, and a coin that can be mined on the memory of the GPU while not using the GPU threads for the process.

An example of this you could do the following 3 miners at the same time.
CPU - CryptoNote
GPU - SIA or Decred or LBRY
GPU Memory - Ethereum or another coin capable of being mined with the memory.

So if you want to take the time to manage multiple miners that may not work together well when ran all at the same time on one system to save yourself the 2% mining fee Claymore charges, you can do so or you can go with a "1 stop shop" miner.

Eyedol-X (OP)

View Profile
September 16, 2016, 11:58:40 PM
Last edit: September 17, 2016, 12:28:16 AM by Eyedol-X

I would say SC, but it's just my wild guess. If you have higher hashrate with SC, then stay with SC.

Well I may have answered my own question just now as I crunched some numbers

I lost about 15 MH ETH mining in total across all my rigs which is rougly about $32 USD a month.

However for that loss I can mine around 450 LBRY a month for the hash rate which is around $63 USD today

If mining SIA, I can mine around 143351 SIA a month which around $70 USD today worth

So in esscense, if I mine ETH ($32) + SIA ($70) I will make an extra ~$102 USD a Month.

So this all seems like SIA is the way to go right? That's what I thought...

If I calculate at the 30 day highpoint of LBRY's value, that same 450 LBRY is worth ~$121

...So yeah, depending where the values fall these are almost a toss up right now.

I'm going to mine LBRY for a while and see where it goes.

nerdralph

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 03:59:29 AM

With ethash, about half of the GPU compute resources are "wasted" waiting for memory accesses.  With AMD GPUs, it is possible to have the kernel code load data from RAM into a register and continue to execute other instructions that don't use the data from RAM.  A dual mining kernel takes advantage of that by a different algo during the dead time waiting for the RAM latency.
SuchFlex.com

Activity: 8

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 04:30:54 AM

With ethash, about half of the GPU compute resources are "wasted" waiting for memory accesses.  With AMD GPUs, it is possible to have the kernel code load data from RAM into a register and continue to execute other instructions that don't use the data from RAM.  A dual mining kernel takes advantage of that by a different algo during the dead time waiting for the RAM latency.

Thanks for your explanation, that's interesting. So this dual mining concept is specific to the core functionality of how EthHash works.
MinerosYV

Activity: 72

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 12:23:57 PM

Thanks for your explanation, that's interesting. So this dual mining concept is specific to the core functionality of how EthHash works.

Interesting, just wondering if you put the numbers for Decred too, would be nice to know.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: