Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 03:46:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Project Orbit (filehosting platform) - what does the community think of it?  (Read 465 times)
Matt_Orbit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 12:22:00 PM

Hello everybody, I just joined to get in touch with other bitcoiners  Cheesy

I want to talk about a porject that I work on with some other guys, called Orbit.
It started as a simple idea but has grown pretty big over the last few months.

The idea is to create a completely legal filehosting/video/streaming service that relies on Bitcoin.
Orbit works similar to any other file sharing system, but we added a twist. We only accept Bitcoin as a payment and we don’t offer premium accounts. Instead we charge small amounts for traffic usage and offer those traffic packages to everybody, not just the buyer.

This allows everybody to host and spread files for relatively small prices. Orbit is politically independent, ad-free, doesn't force you to download and doesn’t collect any user data. Thanks to Bitcoin, Orbit is discreet and can host various files, that might be unwanted at other places. Let us give a small example:

Since we're still in early access, we're happy about any feedback.
Snorek
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 01:19:16 PM

I love the idea of independent file hosting service powered by bitcoin. Is might have so much potential if played right.

I have some questions though:

1. I heard that Kim DotCom is going to release his Bitcache project in 2017. It will be file hosting/sharing service as well.
It is already well known project and is expected to rise BTC price. How exactly are you gonna marketing your service vs. Bitcache?

2. What about situation when someone will share copyright materials on your service? Site will be taken down?
Matt_Orbit (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 01:46:25 PM

Hi, thanks for your post and your interesting questions

1. I heard that Kim DotCom is going to release his Bitcache project in 2017. It will be file hosting/sharing service as well.
It is already well known project and is expected to rise BTC price. How exactly are you gonna marketing your service vs. Bitcache?
We work on this project since a bit more than three years now and of course we heard of DotCom's new service. The announcement shows that there will be other services pretty similar to us and we're happy about it. We never expected to be alone in this upcoming market, but we were a bit surprised that the new Megaupload 2.0 focusses on BTC only.

Marketing against Bitcache or Megaupload will be pretty though. Some say, DotCom's project is too big to run on BTC only and that's someting only time could tell. We want to market Orbit as an option to existing platforms and this idea wouldn't change even after the release of Bitcache or any other products surrounding it.

2. What about situation when someone will share copyright materials on your service? Site will be taken down?
We discussed this many times and it's a very thrilling question. We will not take the entire site offline, that simply wouldn't work. But we have an easy to use tool to report any abuse of our system and we check those flags frequently.

But the key is in preventing the system even before some copyrighted files will be placed. It matters what kind of people you try to reach and till this point, Orbit isn't attractive enought for pirates, because of our pay per use system and the lack of an affiliate program usually offered by sharehosts. We plan to monetize files in the future, but these uploads would be checked by us before they get green light. However, this is still work in progress - ideas are welcome.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: