Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:45:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How aren't Bitcointalk ads blocked by ad blockers like ABP ?  (Read 979 times)
Jiuks (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 01:06:11 AM

How is that possible ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 01:25:49 AM

Because the forum needs money from the majority of people who can't do basic programming to avoid those ads.

You can inspect it, and see what's up. (Because I won't tell you.) I keep my AdBlocker off on BCT, though. The ads are fairly non-intrusive and are only fillers between posts, so what's the big problem?

Jiuks (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 02:14:40 AM

Because the forum needs money from the majority of people who can't do basic programming to avoid those ads.

You can inspect it, and see what's up. (Because I won't tell you.) I keep my AdBlocker off on BCT, though. The ads are fairly non-intrusive and are only fillers between posts, so what's the big problem?

I have an ad blocker activated even on bitcointalk but I still see those ads. I'm not angry at all ! My question is: how do they do that ? How can they bypass adblockers ? Shocked
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 07:13:33 AM

My question is: how do they do that ? How can they bypass adblockers ? Shocked
A lot of sites are bypassing the standard AD blocker (ad block plus), or they're are able to detect them and tend ask you to turn it off in order to continue exploring the website. It's a kind of a 'constant battle'. I do remember reading about an "AD-Block blocker" and a "anti AD-Block killer".

Apparently, there are a few services that offer 'solutions' to detect AD-Block, block or mitigate it. However, experienced users are able to use advanced blockers and modify their filtration lists. You can find more information here.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Jiuks (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 08:22:18 AM

Yes, these type of asks are often used now.

But here I'm more asking about how BCT ads are not detected or considered as ads by ad blockers
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 08:43:04 AM

But here I'm more asking about how BCT ads are not detected or considered as ads by ad blockers
AFAIK theymos is the only one who can specifically answer that. However, I don't see why they should.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
poptok1

Activity: 1638
Merit: 756

Bobby Fischer was right

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 09:04:30 AM

AFAIK theymos is the only one who can specifically answer that. However, I don't see why they should.
Isn't it a case of those adds not being actual ads at all? They are chunk of code.
They consist mostly of BBcode and HTMLcode, no pictures, no flash or Java...
that's why blockers threat them as a part of the webpage, that's why no blockade.
I would allow them anyway, as a form of appreciation. Best adds IMO, light weight and sometimes really complicated and creative. I have made few of those and I must say that this should be web-standard.  

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 10:19:15 PM

The code of the ad is disguised to look like a post. Ad blockers aren't yet smart enough to tell the difference between a post and an ad on bitcointalk, so the ad blocker can't block the ads without blocking posts too.
DarkStar_
Legendary

Activity: 2758
Merit: 3282

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 10:36:46 PM
Last edit: September 19, 2016, 11:42:18 PM by DarkStar_

The code of the ad is disguised to look like a post. Ad blockers aren't yet smart enough to tell the difference between a post and an ad on bitcointalk, so the ad blocker can't block the ads without blocking posts too.
Wrong. Posts look like this, with a <div class = "post">

Ads look like this, which uses a <div class> of random stuff[1], which is probably how it gets bypassed. If it keeps changing, a program will have a hard time reconizing it.

[1] Page refresh shows something else: https://i.imgur.com/L9jdF00.png

taking a break - expect delayed responses
NyeFe

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 10:44:29 PM
Last edit: September 20, 2016, 09:07:39 AM by NyeFe

Ads are blocked by ad blocker - but not with its default settings/configurations. After reading this post, i actually blocked all the ads on the forum.

I want tell you how i did it, because its a good source of revenue, but Theymos uses random dynamic id per/ad, which is added to an element, within a group of table rows... so when you block this ad, only a single instance of this ad should be blocked, and every other ads should be visible. if you try anything else, you'll end up blocking every post. Very smart.

Another thing with blocking ads, is that the forum ends up being more boring, less energetic. I personally use the ads as a source of crypto news for new services, so I'm going to disable ad-block for bitcointalk anyways.

MicroDApp.com—Smart Contract developers. Lets build a decentralized future!
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12865

View Profile
September 20, 2016, 02:54:33 AM
Last edit: September 20, 2016, 03:17:41 AM by theymos

ABP's matching capability is limited. The forum's ads are structured so that it is impossible, within the limits of ABP, to block ads in general without blocking posts. Additionally, a carefully-designed ad will itself be impossible to block without blocking posts, but most advertisers don't bother to make ads in this way, so their specific ads can be blocked.

I've long wondered why the major Web advertisers like Google haven't pursued this sort of thing. In my research of how to accomplish this I even figured out a way to generically defeat ABP on most browsers using some JavaScript, assuming the ad is all inline (though this technique isn't what the forum does). I guess inline ads are difficult, though you'd think that it'd be possible with at least the most major websites.

I'd appreciate it if people not try to block ads. They are by far the forum's largest source of income, and they should not be at all annoying, since there's only one ad per page and I reject ads that are too flashy. I also recently adjusted the ads so that they should in no case be taller than ~50px, even on small screens. Plus, the ads are uniquely targeted to Bitcoiners, so you might find something interesting in the ads -- I've learned of several interesting services through forum ads.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Jiuks (OP)

View Profile
September 21, 2016, 06:15:52 AM

Theymos, how do you manage to have statistics on your ads ?
MyBTT

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 11:43:23 AM

It seems like the ad divs are encrypted, from DarkStar_'s post. I'm on mobile currently... (Screw you Google I want to use Dev tools)

Theymos, how do you manage to have statistics on your ads ?

Simple PHP logging every time either the server receives a GET request of the ad? Some sort of logging.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║