Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:54:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 6x 480 GPU. H97. Detection issues  (Read 1061 times)
Lerrcey (OP)

Activity: 53
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 04:24:51 PM

The miner consists of:

H97 Anniversary
6x RX 480 4GB
     -1 16x riser
     -5 1x USB risers
1200W PSU
Win 10 Pro

So far, I can get all the cards recognized by Windows as RX 480's.
However Claymore software only works with 4 of the cards. The other 2 return issues. Mainly BSOD Video_TDR_Failure
The problem children are lanes PCI 1 and PCI 5.
I have disconnect PCI 5 altogether, for now, in the hope to get 5/6 working.

I am using PCI 1 contains GPU 5 however I am having a mix of issues

Sometimes it returns a "Code 12" not enough resources which is often cleared by a restart.
If I try to run the miner with these 5 connected; within approximately 1 minute it will BSOD. Video_TDR_Failure (Atikmpag.sys)
I am using the Radeon 16.9.1 Crimson Drivers.

I have tried fresh OS. I have tried Gen 1, 2, 3 within BIOS. I have tried uninstall/reinstall the specific card. I have tried uninstall/reinstall of all the cards. Including DisplayDriver Uniinstaller. I tried Catalyst 15.11.1Beta drivers. I have changed the card. I have changed the riser. I have changed the power cable. I have changed the USB. I have tried the 6xGPU mod. and I have lost a significant amount of hair in the process...

I realise this topic is more of an information dump - I am just hoping a fresh pair of eyes can make a suggestion to save my sanity! Please, for the sake of my sanity!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
navydude

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 04:30:26 PM

Watching closely because after several months i still have about 15 cards just sitting because of detection issues. Would be nice to get them all running. I have tried the h97 anniversary and BTC pro board. I dont know if you have updated bios but you may check that as well. I tried it on one board and it didnt cure my problem. It was a BTC pro board though. Just a thought.

FlensGold
Legendary

Activity: 1405
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 04:33:42 PM

I had the same problem, it only worked stable when only 5 GPUs (RX480) were connected.
I did not have this problem with the R9 380 GPUs.
xxcsu

Activity: 1498
Merit: 597

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 04:57:41 PM

The miner consists of:

H97 Anniversary
6x RX 480 4GB
     -1 16x riser
     -5 1x USB risers
1200W PSU
Win 10 Pro

So far, I can get all the cards recognized by Windows as RX 480's.
However Claymore software only works with 4 of the cards. The other 2 return issues. Mainly BSOD Video_TDR_Failure
The problem children are lanes PCI 1 and PCI 5.
I have disconnect PCI 5 altogether, for now, in the hope to get 5/6 working.

I am using PCI 1 contains GPU 5 however I am having a mix of issues

Sometimes it returns a "Code 12" not enough resources which is often cleared by a restart.
If I try to run the miner with these 5 connected; within approximately 1 minute it will BSOD. Video_TDR_Failure (Atikmpag.sys)
I am using the Radeon 16.9.1 Crimson Drivers.

I have tried fresh OS. I have tried Gen 1, 2, 3 within BIOS. I have tried uninstall/reinstall the specific card. I have tried uninstall/reinstall of all the cards. Including DisplayDriver Uniinstaller. I tried Catalyst 15.11.1Beta drivers. I have changed the card. I have changed the riser. I have changed the power cable. I have changed the USB. I have tried the 6xGPU mod. and I have lost a significant amount of hair in the process...

I realise this topic is more of an information dump - I am just hoping a fresh pair of eyes can make a suggestion to save my sanity! Please, for the sake of my sanity!

What bios do you have on that motherboard ? I had a similar issue with one of my asrock H97 Anniversary and 6 card setup under win 10 64bit and bios version 1.5.
What im done is after switched to new raisers , changed pci slots for my cards :
- updated the bios to 1.6 http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97%20Anniversary/?cat=Download&os=BIOS
- fresh installed win 10 with one card conected
- installed win 10 64bit / INF driver / and vga driver and nothing else
- set win 10 virtual memory to 16GB or larger , very important with 6 card setup Smiley there is how : http://ccm.net/faq/43000-adjust-default-virtual-memory-size-on-windows-10
- opened wattman with one card connected , if its open without any error , driver installed ok
- Turned off the pc , connected another 5 rx 480 ,
- Reboot
- After win 10 loading , you must to wait a few minutes anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes to let win 10 assign drivers for each card , during this time screen flickering is normal , maybe you will see a dark screen for a minute , dont force reboot or turn off your pc .. just wait ...
- Without reboot try to start wattman , if you can get wattman running all of your cards driver has been installed.
- Restart and start your favorite miner Smiley
let me know if its helped Smiley

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
If you like the answer you got for your question from any member ,
If you find any post useful , informative use the +Merit button.
rockyforever

Activity: 429
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 05:03:13 PM

As xxcsu mentioned, install each card individually. The computer should automatically find the new card after each restart. If you get a code 12, go into control panel uninstall gpu and  make sure to check *uninstall driver*. Restart computer and manually install driver to the card.

Hope this helps!

Botnake

Activity: 2856
Merit: 667

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 05:26:48 PM

In the motherboard bios, you can change the PCIE generation 3 to generation 1. I used that on the H81 ProBTC.

█████▄▄██
███▄█████
██▄███████▄
████████████████
███▀██████████▀
██▄████████████▄
░█████▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
████▀████████▀████
▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████████
█████▀███████▄████
███████▀▀▄▄▄█████
███████████████▀
████████████▀▀
OMBARD.com|.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██████░██░████░██
▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
██████████████
▄▄░▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀░▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀▀▀
██░██░██████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄░▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░▀▀░▀▀▀▀
PICK,
PLAY,
PROSPER!

██████
██████████
██████████
██████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
█████████████████   ██
PROVABLY
FAIR
1%█████████████████   ██
HOUSE
EDGE
100%█████████████████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS
  Play now  
Lerrcey (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 06:03:34 PM

I had already updated my BIOS to 1.6; forgot to mention that!
My page file parameters are 16-80GB
I had originally set up all the cards as pairs, with the PCI-Express as the primary. I will try them all as individuals instead.
I had been using Claymore to test for a crash - I will give Wattman ago

I had tried changing the Generations in the BIOS. I think I settled on 1 in the end, will confirm.

Thank you for the suggestions guys
I'm going to run some tests to rule out any possible hardware issues. Then  strip back and single card setup again lol
Lerrcey (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 07:23:57 PM

Please excuse the belt fed information: I kept a log this time as I was testing it all.

PCI1 connected only
      Blue screen clock_watchdog_timeout
      Possible faulty 1xRiser as it's returned two BSODs
     (clock_watchdog_timeout)
      (video_scheduler_internal_error)
      and some really bad graphical errors
Tried on a different graphics card
   -same graphical error
Replaced riser, works OK.

*random tangent* Scanned malware just to rule out - nothing found.

Individual card test: Boot up? Claymore work? Crash?

PCI 1 working with a different riser.
PCI 2 (express) working
PCI 3 working
PCI 4 eventually working - replaced the usb cable seemed to do it.
PCI 5 working
PCI 6 - no spare riser, so put the suspected DOA back in to test. No bad graphics.
          Took a few minutes and a couple of restarts to sort itself out. Get BIOS screen details and boot up but as soon as it goes to windows, it's goes black.
          Left it - within a minute restarted. Got back to the username screen, then black screen no signal.
          Left it a minute, it restarted again but this time booted to the recovery screen. Booted into safe mode. Goes to Desktop. Shows 480 in Device Manage so rebooted.  
          This time made it to the desktop! Wahoo... too early. Black screen "no signal". rebooted itself. BSOD Video TDR Failure (atikmpag.sys). Reboot. Recovery. Restart. BSOD Video TDR Failure.

Move Riser to CARD 4, remain in PCI 6. Boots to Desktop. Black screen, no signal. Must be a dead riser i thought
          Connected working riser; CARD 6 to PCI 6. Worked OK. Thank F
          Tried a new USB cable (long shot?) and it suddenly works  Huh

Most needed a minute to sorts itself out, then a reboot.

Now I'm going to connect cards 1-6 and test.
All display as working in device manager.
Successfully opened Wattman on all of them.
Miner test - All cards displayed. All cards hashing.

erh-ma-gerd... I don't want to start dancing too early... but it's looking promising

The 480's are hashing about 580-590 each (XMR) unmodified / factory settings. Anyone got a good flash/setting start point?
Lerrcey (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 09:44:54 PM

Can anyone recommend a good BIOS for the 480's / monero?
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 10:12:05 PM

If you asking for a custom bios you should share your VGA card model number , manufacturer , and ASIC quality from gpuZ reading , memory manufacturer can be help also ( Samsung is the best )  Not all bios is interchangeable. If you have a reference cards , there is some bios you can use in those cards .
non reference card bios roms are not interchangeable , you can brick ur card easy !

Learn about Merit & new rank requirements , Learn how to use MERIT , make this community better
Lerrcey (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 10:22:10 PM

If you asking for a custom bios you should share your VGA card model number , manufacturer , and ASIC quality from gpuZ reading , memory manufacturer can be help also ( Samsung is the best )  Not all bios is interchangeable. If you have a reference cards , there is some bios you can use in those cards .
non reference card bios roms are not interchangeable , you can brick ur card easy !

AH ok. Thanks dude, didn't realise.

Radeon RX 480 Asus Dual OC
Card 1 ASIC Quality 69.2%
Card 2 ASIC Quality 72.5%
Card 3 ASIC Quality 83.6%
Card 4 ASIC Quality 79.6%
Card 5 ASIC Quality 71.6%
Card 6 ASIC Quality 67.5%

RAM - HyperX Fury

Is that everything?
xxcsu

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2016, 10:30:54 PM

Yes :-) all those information will be helpful:-)
Now you just have to wait till someone get the same card , and creating custom bios :-)
If I'm u , I would start to play with Polaris bios editor ,and Ati flash,  for the start just copy 1750 memory timing to 2000 in polaris bios editor , save the rom and flash to your card with AtiFlash ! Beforeu do anything , save ur bios rom with gpuz or AtiFlash . It's easy . Switching memory timing can add 4 mh/s for ETH mining , I'm not sure about monero , but you can try and share the result with us :-)

Lerrcey (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 11:01:45 PM

Yes :-) all those information will be helpful:-)
Now you just have to wait till someone get the same card , and creating custom bios :-)
If I'm u , I would start to play with Polaris bios editor ,and Ati flash,  for the start just copy 1750 memory timing to 2000 in polaris bios editor , save the rom and flash to your card with AtiFlash ! Beforeu do anything , save ur bios rom with gpuz or AtiFlash . It's easy . Switching memory timing can add 4 mh/s for ETH mining , I'm not sure about monero , but you can try and share the result with us :-)

OK dude, thank you. I'll try and have a play Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: