Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:46:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie questions about Bitcoin  (Read 408 times)
philm001 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 05:04:08 PM

Hello all,

I am new to mining Bitcoins and doing it for so for fun. I see that the ASIC is the way to go but I don't have the money to drop 400 on this. So, I am using my Radeon HD6850 card for mining.

I downloaded cg miner 3.73 from this site: http://k-dev.net/cgminer/

I was reading around and seeing that 3.7.2 is the one to go for mining on GPU. However, I can't seem to find a version of 3.7.2. And when I do, I am pointed to the link that I posted above. Would this be a correct version to mine on GPU? I am assuming so because it recognizes the GPU and it has a has rate of 171.4 Mh/sec so it looks right!

Now, I connected to slushpool and I am mining Bitcoins right now (go me!) However, my earnings is frightfully low! Like, I am getting 0.00000001 BTC. Over a period of 4 days, I have earned 0.00000017 BTC. Is this reasonable for a GPU? I understand that ASIC is the way to go and that GPU underperform ASIC by alot. But could it really be that low? Or do I really need to reconfigure my settings a little bit in cgminer? Or is it something completely unrelated? Should I switch pools and just solo this sucker? On slush pool, it will take 1611 years to reach 0.1 BTC YIKES!

At any rate, I have also read around that mining on the gpu can cause your computer to run much slower (because the gpu is being used, alot). However, I am noticing 0 change. In fact, I am able to watch 1080p 60 fps video on youtube while mining bitcoins!

I am wondering, should I create more workers and instances of cgminer to run on the gpu? OR would that break the hash speed up? Or, is there a way to create more threads on the gpu while not suffering from the drop in the hash rate speed

I have also been looking into mining other coins such as Novacoin and Litecoin because I heard that these were better for the gpu mining. And I can exchange them for bitcoins. However, I have been experiencing difficulty on mining these two with cgminer.

For example, for novacoin, when I connect to the pool, I see on the site that my hash is 3 kH/sec. And on cgminer, it is still 171.4 Mh/s. Why is there such a large discrepancy between these two numbers? I thought that mining would be "faster" then directly mining bitcoins. I have also noticed that I am not consistently getting blocks of data with cgminer. I have noticed that on the pool site, the hash rate drops to 0 every so often. I am not entirely sure why. CGMiner says that I am connected but why would the hash rate become 0? Does that mean I am not mining anything? I am assuming that I am not having a connection issue becuase I can connect to slush pool fine. But, I am not ruling out the possibility.

Also, for litecoin, I created an account on give-me-coins.com. So far, I have not been able to mine anything. Again, cgminer reports that I am connected but I am not receiving any information about getting blocks of data. I am not sure what this means??
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 05:14:59 PM

I'm afraid you are about 4-5 years late for GPU mining.
This is what a bitcoin mine looks like now:

Pool mining may be very unprofitable also. You need to calculate your electricity cost and the cosdt to replace your GPU, which will be under heavy stress. It is more likely that you will profit from buying and spending bitcoin than mining. Still, you may learn some things about bitcoin by mining. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
philm001 (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 06:00:32 PM

Wow,

ok then, I think that I will not be able to compete.

Well, this is mainly for educational pruposes. Just learning about it.

So when you refer to Bitcoin, is that also including the other cyptocurrencies such as Novacoin and Litecoin?
Jhanzo

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

Thank satoshi

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 07:22:45 PM

Wow,

So when you refer to Bitcoin, is that also including the other cyptocurrencies such as Novacoin and Litecoin?

Those are altcoins.  Most altcoins uses different algorithm (Bitcoin uses SHA256, Litecoin and Novacoin uses scrypt).  AFAIK Scrypt already have ASICs so it's probably not profitable mining them anymore, however there are many more mining algorithm out there that still allows profitable GPU mining.  There are also some CPU-only algorithm.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 07:26:23 PM

Wow,

If u want to profit from GPU mining, mine ETC and hold till ETH turns into PoS.

European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 07:29:09 PM

https://whattomine.com/

check here. this'll give you options for alt coins to mine with your gpu that you can swap for bitcoin if you want. there are a ton of them so make sure you choose a good one. you can figure that out by looking at coinmarketcap.com which tells you daily sales volumes and so on.
philm001 (OP)

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 08:18:54 PM

Hello,

Tahnk you all for the replies.

I do have a better question,

for mining altcoins, are the hash rates different for mining bitcoins? For example, in a bit coin mining, I ma getting has rates of 170 Mh/s. But when I mine novacoin, I am getting 3 KH/s (supposedly?Huh That is what the network site is reporting. CGMiner says it is still 170 MH/s)
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 08:56:30 PM

Stop right now GPU mining died a long time ago............... Cry
Jhanzo

Activity: 798
Merit: 506

Thank satoshi

View Profile
September 19, 2016, 09:10:58 PM

Hello,

Tahnk you all for the replies.

I do have a better question,

for mining altcoins, are the hash rates different for mining bitcoins? For example, in a bit coin mining, I ma getting has rates of 170 Mh/s. But when I mine novacoin, I am getting 3 KH/s (supposedly?Huh That is what the network site is reporting. CGMiner says it is still 170 MH/s)

It's normal.  You get much lower hashrate when mining Scrypt coins than when you mine SHA256 coins.

Trusted an exchange that climbed to the top 3 in just under 2 years with your money? you are fucking stupid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: