Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:25:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FirstBits.com - remember and share Bitcoin addresses  (Read 26186 times)
John Tobey

Activity: 481
Merit: 529

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 06:12:57 PM

Hi, I recently implemented firstbits for Abe.

What do you propose to do if/when a previously unseen address appears in a multisig output or (horrors) a script-hash input?

Neither Abe nor BlockExplorer recognizes multisig scripts, but bitcointools decodes them into addresses, which blockchain.info displays: example.  That site also displays firstbits of script-hash addresses: example.

The addresses I've looked at all appeared earlier in the chain in "normal" pubkey or single-address outputs, but nothing's to prevent someone from sending to a multiple-signature destination that includes a new address.  Would that allocate a new firstbits?

I'm tempted to say "no" out of laziness and because Firstbits are for published addresses, whereas multiple-signature transactions are more for self-transfers.

Can a change to the best-chain criteria protect against 51% to 90+% attacks without a hard fork?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 12, 2012, 06:27:03 PM

The "escrow" address (as labeled by blockchain.info) is not added as a firstbits address at this point in time.  All other addresses involved in a multisig transaction would be added as firstbits addresses.
John Tobey

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 06:35:31 PM

The "escrow" address (as labeled by blockchain.info) is not added as a firstbits address at this point in time.  All other addresses involved in a multisig transaction would be added as firstbits addresses.
Would you consider defining "appears" on http://firstbits.com/about.php to exclude appearances in OP_CHECKMULTISIG outputs?

Can a change to the best-chain criteria protect against 51% to 90+% attacks without a hard fork?
FreeMoney (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2012, 07:38:06 PM

Would you consider defining "appears" on http://firstbits.com/about.php to exclude appearances in OP_CHECKMULTISIG outputs?

I can't tell what is best, but we should all do it the same and be clear.

Want to see what Piuk thinks and then lock it in 'officially'?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
John Tobey

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 02:37:54 AM

Request sent.

piuk

Activity: 910

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 11:21:13 AM

I have excluded M-Of-N (Escrow) transactions from firstbits calculations.

P2SH addresses (http://blockchain.info/address/3N6RjoL4Z93c2VFpqpwJNCUsy5MFikzBWr) get a firstbits with the prefix 3 so as not to collide with old style addresses.

Anything you would like me to change?

John Tobey

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2012, 03:21:54 PM

I have excluded M-Of-N (Escrow) transactions from firstbits calculations.

P2SH addresses (http://blockchain.info/address/3N6RjoL4Z93c2VFpqpwJNCUsy5MFikzBWr) get a firstbits with the prefix 3 so as not to collide with old style addresses.

Anything you would like me to change?

I am happy with these rules.  I suggest something like the following to define "appearance" in the chain:

A pubkey output is a transaction output with a script of the form:
Code:
<pubKey> OP_CHECKSIG

An address is said to appear in a pubkey output when its version byte is 0 and its key hash equals the 160-bit hash of the output script's push operand (pubKey).

A pubkey hash output is a transaction output with a script of the form:
Code:
OP_DUP OP_HASH160 <pubKeyHash> OP_EQUALVERIFY OP_CHECKSIG

An address is said to appear in a pubkey hash output when its version byte is 0 and its 160-bit key hash equals the output script's push operand (pubKeyHash).

A script hash output is a transaction output with a script of the form:
Code:
OP_HASH160 <scriptHash> OP_EQUAL

An address is said to appear in a script hash output when its version byte is 5 and its 160-bit key hash equals the output script's push operand (scriptHash).

An address is said to appear in a block when it appears in one of the block's transactions' pubkey, pubkey hash, or script hash outputs.

In particular, output scripts not matching the above three cases can not affect whether an address appears in a block, nor can input scripts.  For example, a script containing OP_DROP or OP_NOP can not match the cases, but the push operand in a pubkey output may have any length.

foo

Activity: 409
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 10, 2012, 01:48:17 PM

A couple of bug reports for firstbits.com:

The email address listed on the site doesn't work:

<webmaster@firstbits.com>: connect to firstbits.com[108.171.201.215]:25: Connection refused

2. (What I tried to email to you.)

When I enter the address from the genesis block (1A1zP1eP5QGefi2DMPTfTL5SLmv7DivfNa), firstbits.com prints:

Your firstbits address: %s

I know this because Tyler knows this.
grazcoin

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 21, 2012, 10:27:16 AM

Hi, I recently implemented firstbits for Abe.

What do you propose to do if/when a previously unseen address appears in a multisig output or (horrors) a script-hash input?

Neither Abe nor BlockExplorer recognizes multisig scripts, but bitcointools decodes them into addresses, which blockchain.info displays: example.  That site also displays firstbits of script-hash addresses: example.

The addresses I've looked at all appeared earlier in the chain in "normal" pubkey or single-address outputs, but nothing's to prevent someone from sending to a multiple-signature destination that includes a new address.  Would that allocate a new firstbits?

I'm tempted to say "no" out of laziness and because Firstbits are for published addresses, whereas multiple-signature transactions are more for self-transfers.

I would be happy to try your patch for Abe. Is it online?
Are you able to show something like http://blockchain.info/fb/3g2 already? (it has a 2of3 signature).
It doesn't work on firstbits as well as on "vanilla" Abe.

John Tobey

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2012, 01:02:27 PM

I would be happy to try your patch for Abe. Is it online?
Are you able to show something like http://blockchain.info/fb/3g2 already? (it has a 2of3 signature).
It doesn't work on firstbits as well as on "vanilla" Abe.

Sorry, I have not implemented this address type for Abe.  Everything I've done is checked in. Smiley  The rules I proposed above got no reply, and I lost interest.  Abe does not follow them exactly; for example, it ignores trailing OP_NOP when processing an output script.  I have not taken the time to find test cases to determine how firstbits.com and blockchain.info handle nonstandard and newer script types.  Here is the latest on Abe's implementation: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22785.msg965329#msg965329

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 05:04:43 AM

Just wanted to report that when I visit FirstBits.com now it gets stuck on the sealswithclubs.org advert and FF keeps trying to contact that web site. Even after 20 seconds or so I never get the entry address field.

Seems to hang the page indefinitely. Tried over and over, same result.

FreeMoney (OP)
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 05:53:46 AM

Just wanted to report that when I visit FirstBits.com now it gets stuck on the sealswithclubs.org advert and FF keeps trying to contact that web site. Even after 20 seconds or so I never get the entry address field.

Whoa, sorry. Let me look into this.

Anyone else getting that?

It paused for about one second or less for me before displaying the blank which it has never done before.

FreeMoney (OP)
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 05:56:24 AM

And in the meantime if you don't know you can use blockchain.info to look up firstbits. Just put the address or firstbits in the search field there.

FreeMoney (OP)
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 06:00:24 AM

I think I fixed it, it seems to load instantly for me now.

It's odd because I hadn't changed a thing in months.

Please tell me if it works for you now Bkk.

BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 07:21:32 AM

Yup. Seems to be ok now. I'm deep in the rice fields of SE Asia so whatever caused it to be slow was exacerbated ten fold here.

FreeMoney (OP)
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 07:44:52 AM

Yup. Seems to be ok now. I'm deep in the rice fields of SE Asia so whatever caused it to be slow was exacerbated ten fold here.

Cool. Thanks a bunch for letting me know and following up.

Tisko

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 06:48:14 PM

Free, is firstbits.com discontinued or just temporarily down? Thanks.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 08:04:46 PM

It's discontinued by him, but I plan to continue it at firstbits.net (and .com if I can get a hold of the domain).  In the meantime, there's this website: http://bitcoinfirstbits.com/.  I forgot who runs it.  Lookups can also be done at blockchain.info.
FreeMoney (OP)
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 08:08:34 PM

It's discontinued by him, but I plan to continue it at firstbits.net (and .com if I can get a hold of the domain).  In the meantime, there's this website: http://bitcoinfirstbits.com/.  I forgot who runs it.  Lookups can also be done at blockchain.info.

That's right. I'm going to give the domain to Spike if I'm able.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 06:25:51 AM

Alright, I quickly put firstbits.net up, but right now it just reads from blockchain.info's API.  I need to rewrite the engine for calculating them, because the original one was simply too slow.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: