Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:01:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: what is killing bitcoin by drastically deflating it?  (Read 3395 times)
aarreeaa (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 12

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:44:42 PM

Many bitcoin holders may feel like its a good thing that bitcoin -> $ value doubled within past few weeks,
but thats terrible news for people who sell stuff and would like to accept bitcoin...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:47:14 PM

Many bitcoin holders may feel like its a good thing that bitcoin -> $ value doubled within past few weeks,
but thats terrible news for people who sell stuff and would like to accept bitcoin...

It's a newborn for starters, and because there's a fixed supply and a forever increasing pool of adopters, the value is set to rise until everyone knows what Bitcoin is and has decided they want it or don't want it.

fractal5

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:55:30 PM

I'm not at all happy with the wild fluctuation either. The best solution may be to design trading algorithms that are designed to buy and/or short-sell during dramatic price swings. I hope to develop the technical expertise to do that over the next couple of years.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:01:05 PM

A few weeks ago a merchant that sold an item for $100 dollars worth of bitcoins got paid about $100 dollars worth of bitcoin.  If that merchant then used those coins for making purchases or cashed them out, that merchant got about $100 dollars worth of value from them.

Today a merchant that sells an item for $100 dollars worth of bitcoins gets paid about $100 dollars worth of bitcoin.  That merchant can then use those coins for making purchases or cash them out and that merchant will get about $100 dollars worth of value from them.

What is the difference for the merchant between the situation a few weeks ago and the situation today?

Now if you are saying the merchant may not want to hold bitcoins at this higher valuation because the risk of the exchange rate decreasing, then there are methods for merchants to hedge, such as buying PUT options or to sell futures contracts on ICBIT, so that the merchant can "lock in" at today's value yet still hold that value in the form of bitcoins.  

Ideally though, the merchant will have vendors, employees and investors to pay so that bitcoin revenues can be used for that spending rather than simply getting cashed out to fiat as part of each transaction.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

aarreeaa (OP)

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:34:16 PM

What is the difference for the merchant between the situation a few weeks ago and the situation today?
I guess, that would be frustration - more $ could be made by doing nothing.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 11:50:15 PM

I guess, that would be frustration - more $ could be made by doing nothing.

Huh     Huh

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

fractal5

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:40:56 AM

when the bitcoin economy reaches 100 billion there will be enough competition amongst trade exchanges etc that the price will steadily rise predictably, which will actually be good news for merchants.
Trading can only reduce volatility and never eliminate it because steadily rising prices causes people to make leveraged buys, which swings the price up. For example since the USD prime rate is 0.25% a major bank could push hundreds of billions of dollars into Bitcoin by borrowing from the fed at .25%. When they sell Bitcoins to pay back the loan it swings back down.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:48:59 AM

Now that someone was kind enough to write https://www.bridgewalkerapp.com/ we can finally put an end to this nonsense.

If you are "afraid" of the fact bitcoin keeps going up in value, you can use this app accept and spend BTC, while holding dollars. You will be 100% protected from the horrible "volatility" that every Bitcoin holder I know of is actually thrilled with.

I have to say, hats off to the author. I suspect hardly anyone will use it, but it's the best troll-killer ever.
ECore

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

https://ubikiri.com/

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 01:26:31 AM

Yes...I'm sure all the bitcoin retailers are just loathing the dramatic increase in the price of the bitcoins that they are receiving

Integrated Distributed Ledgers
A whole world of different blockchains living together in a single network based on DAG. No more gates, bridges, portals or special nodes connecting blockchains into a single whole. Only one p2p network, consisting of blockchains of various types: from private for state and corporate networks to public for crypto projects.
spacegoat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

We are connected. you are me I am you.

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:06:24 AM

Now that someone was kind enough to write https://www.bridgewalkerapp.com/ we can finally put an end to this nonsense.

If you are "afraid" of the fact bitcoin keeps going up in value, you can use this app accept and spend BTC, while holding dollars. You will be 100% protected from the horrible "volatility" that every Bitcoin holder I know of is actually thrilled with.

I have to say, hats off to the author. I suspect hardly anyone will use it, but it's the best troll-killer ever.

wow what a good idea.  troll-killer for sure

yeah baby yeah
Friend of a Friend

Activity: 7

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:21:46 AM

Until it finds its place in the economy and such, it is going to go through these wild fluctuations. What you can do is predict them and find out when they are going to occur, so you can do what favours you Smiley
brickhouse464

Activity: 33

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:26:39 AM

I wish the price would stabilize
Brutus I

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:31:12 AM

I have a feeling if it starts dropping it will go down as fast as it went up with people trying to lock in their profits.
sincitylife

Activity: 36

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 09:25:24 AM

BTCWhen do you think it will reach $100 USD?
Bugs123

Activity: 14

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:58:46 AM

soon i thinks  Smiley
puax

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:04:58 PM

Re: price swings and how they affect merchants - there's a menu cost. You need to change your price as BTC moves around since your inputs are likely denominated in your local currency, but your output is priced in BTC.
jwzguy

Activity: 868
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:18:26 PM

Re: price swings and how they affect merchants - there's a menu cost. You need to change your price as BTC moves around since your inputs are likely denominated in your local currency, but your output is priced in BTC.
Keep your menu price in local currency, use a BTC quote at time of checkout. It's not rocket science.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:19:45 PM

Keep your menu price in local currency, use a BTC quote at time of checkout. It's not rocket science.

But what if you put Bitcoin on a rocket and flew it to Mars?

Trace

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:45:28 PM

But what if you put Bitcoin on a rocket and flew it to Mars?

well the time of flight for light to mars is about 20min. so don't get your hopes up about mining for bits way out there. although transactions would still work perfectly fine supposing you had a downlink to an earth based station.

but coming out of the sci-fi scenario for a sec, depending on the business you do, having a script in place to adjust the sale price of an item to the bitcoin spot is trivial. and thanks to the nature of bitcoin one can even have the BTC amount sent to an exchange and traded without user intervention. For a merchant this would lower the currency risk substantially.

lets take this thought to its next logical step:  I see a current hole in the bitcoin economy for a brokerage like service to handle and simplify such an exchange. if a service could be built with enough liquidity it would open the market up to many more merchants as well remove a bit of volatility from the exchanges.
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:09:15 PM

Yes...I'm sure all the bitcoin retailers are just loathing the dramatic increase in the price of the bitcoins that they are receiving

Although a rapidly rising commodity brings smiles to all faces who are holding it, it also discourages people holding it for exchanging it for goods, services, and indeed Fiat currency. Now, this is when things are on the way up. On the way down, the volatility will destroy people using Bitcoin for real world economic transactions. Either way, the volatility cannibalises that which underpins the basis of the whole 'value' of Bitcoins.

Seems like there are a lot of smug types around here who think the whole Bitcoin universe's behaviour is running in accordance with their own personal simple world paradigm of how things should work. My word of warning to such people is that they should perhaps consider the possibility that perhaps they are not as smart as they think, and that perhaps they have merely got lucky, inadvertently hitching a ride on a dragons tail wings. True, that dragon may soar and spiral ever higher into the heavens, taking everyone with it along for the ride. But when that dragon dives, it will nose down right into the flames below, revealing to everyone, their false illusions regarding what is driving Bitcoins.

Do people forget what happens when market value far exceeds the underlying assets supporting it? Housing crash 2008 anyone? One thing that I could safely bet my own house on, would be that the market value of Bitcoins, is exceeding the underlying economy which supports it, by an order of several magnitude at the moment. For anyone to 'invest' in Bitcoin now for purposes of speculation, they would be doing so on the premises of 'greater fool theory' (a bigger fool than themselves will come along and pay even more than they did at some point in the future). As for the posts I have seen where people are discussing putting their pension funds into Bitcoin...OYF!  Shocked

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
Brutus I

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:13:36 PM

Although a rapidly rising commodity brings smiles to all faces who are holding it, it also discourages people holding it for exchanging it for goods, services, and indeed Fiat currency. Now, this is when things are on the way up. On the way down, the volatility will destroy people using Bitcoin for real world economic transactions. Either way, the volatility cannibalises that which underpins the basis of the whole 'value' of Bitcoins.

Seems like there are a lot of smug types around here who think the whole Bitcoin universe's behaviour is running in accordance with their own personal simple world paradigm of how things should work. My word of warning to such people is that they should perhaps consider the possibility that perhaps they are not as smart as they think, and that perhaps they have merely got lucky, inadvertently hitching a ride on a dragons tail wings. True, that dragon may soar and spiral ever higher into the heavens, taking everyone with it along for the ride. But when that dragon dives, it will nose down right into the flames below, revealing to everyone, their false illusions regarding what is driving Bitcoins.

Do people forget what happens when market value far exceeds the underlying assets supporting it? Housing crash 2008 anyone? One thing that I could safely bet my own house on, would be that the market value of Bitcoins, is exceeding the underlying economy which supports it, by an order of several magnitude at the moment. For anyone to 'invest' in Bitcoin now for purposes of speculation, they would be doing so on the premises of 'greater fool theory' (a bigger fool than themselves will come along and pay even more than they did at some point in the future). As for the posts I have seen where people are discussing putting their pension funds into Bitcoin...OYF!  Shocked

Spot on.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:27:03 PM

I just got this real crazy idea.

What if Bitcoin encourages people to stop spending more than they need to buy?  Since by holding BTC you're likely to become wealthier, thereby decreasing the need to spend frivolously, people would hold onto their coins and spend them only when they had to, such as for food, shelter, and the recurring payments of entertainment--and everything else would be only if they really mean to spend, as on their business ventures or schooling or whatever else.  On the other hand, with fiat, you're encouraged to get rid of it ASAP on whatever it is you need or want.  Capitalism seems to favor an inflating currency, as people are more likely to get rid of their cash by either buying or investing in something else (but average Joe seems to prefer to buy.)  Therefor, more money runs around, the economy (is supposed to) keep moving, la-de-da.

I think a society that's more focused on conserving their cash (and thus, their resources) is much better off than the society that must eternally spend and expand.  Maybe people won't waste their hard-earned money so quickly then, and won't be so easy to coerce into giving a bank for gambling purposes--I mean, investing.  This system seemed to work well when we needed to spend and expand, but now that phase is over, and the cup keeps spilling over.

Brutus I

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:31:23 PM

What if Bitcoin encourages people to stop spending more than they need to buy?  Since by holding BTC you're likely to become wealthier, thereby decreasing the need to spend frivolously, people would hold onto their coins and spend them only when they had to, such as for food, shelter, and the recurring payments of entertainment--and everything else would be only if they really mean to spend, as on their business ventures or schooling or whatever else.  On the other hand, with fiat, you're encouraged to get rid of it ASAP on whatever it is you need or want.  Capitalism seems to favor an inflating currency, as people are more likely to get rid of their cash by either buying or investing in something else (but average Joe seems to prefer to buy.)  Therefor, more money runs around, the economy (is supposed to) keep moving, la-de-da.

I think a society that's more focused on conserving their cash (and thus, their resources) is much better off than the society that must eternally spend and expand.  Maybe people won't waste their hard-earned money so quickly then, and won't be so easy to coerce into giving a bank for gambling purposes--I mean, investing.  This system seemed to work well when we needed to spend and expand, but now that phase is over, and the cup keeps spilling over.

Savings and capital accumulation is a benefit of a deflationary currency. But stability is important. Not going to have that this early in the game.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:56:49 PM
Last edit: March 31, 2013, 09:08:58 PM by odolvlobo

I think the following facts are convincing evidence against the claim that the rising value of BTC encourages hoarding.

Of the three, the bitcoin days destroyed metric is the best indicator of hoarding vs. spending. If 100% of the coins were hoarded, then the value would be 0. If the percentage of coins being hoarded were constant, then the value would be a constant fraction of the number of coins and the difference would be the number of coins being hoarded. If no coins are being hoarded, then the value would be 100% of the number of coins.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Alonzo Ewing
Legendary

Activity: 1040
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:11:42 PM

As you state, there are benefits of saving, something that modern economics overlooks.  Saving is prudent for most people.  It allows capital accumulation, something necessary for future investment. 

The current economy, based on inflation, forces everyone to speculate.  Even at 2% inflation, in a generation, savings are cut by half.  Why save?

The problem is not everyone is cut out to be a speculator.  Only a select few are.  Speculation should be their domain, not the domain of everyone.

The balance between saving and spending should be determined by a free market interest rate.  Unfortunately, none exists today.

In a bitcoin economy, the value of money would grow with time.  Only those who are cut out for speculating and investing would do so.  The average joe would be content to save, and they would be able to capture the growth of the economy through the rise in the value of bitcoins, not through speculation.

aarreeaa (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:03:55 PM

I see that most of you are trilled that bitcoin value quickly increases.
And that really is great for those that invest in virtual bit coins and intend to profit by selling (outexchanging) them later.

But bitcoin <-> real money exchanges usually make small (traditionally - ~2%-5%) profit per exchange.
With such deflation (~3-6% per day) exchangers actually lose by selling bitcoin, so fees should go up...

While bitconin's value deflates so fast, its very bad for buying/selling stuff & services.
WHY? The most obvious aspect: More and more people become hesitant to make purchase today and decide to wait few days to get it cheaper - bad for merchants (10-30% of potential sales are lost).
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:25:30 AM

WHY? The most obvious aspect: More and more people become hesitant to make purchase today and decide to wait few days to get it cheaper - bad for merchants (10-30% of potential sales are lost).
Yeah, and electronics manufacturers are going broke because everybody waits until the prices drop before buying. Sorry, your argument isn't supported by the facts.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
aarreeaa (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:32:05 PM

Yeah, and electronics manufacturers are going broke because everybody waits until the prices drop before buying. Sorry, your argument isn't supported by the facts.

Why did you quote mine and then strawman my position?
DataPlumber

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 08:20:57 PM

Why did you quote mine and then strawman my position?
I for one am unclear why that's a distortion of your argument.  People don't stop needing things just because holding on to money longer can mean you'll get more value for it tomorrow.

Every time I buy computer hardware, I know that if I wait another week/month/whatever, I'd get a better value for less currency spent.  But that doesn't seem to stop me from upgrading.

anabolic weasel

Activity: 9

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:34:01 PM

I think one of the problems with bitcoin to be implemented to buy and sell in commerces is this volatility, because the average seller doesn't want to be adapting its prices every 3 hours since their prices need to be sharp to compete.
OskarLoderr

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:35:01 PM

I wouldn't say deflation is killing bitcoin.

What it's doing is making people put off what they don't need to buy today. Yes, this will cost some businesses some of their profits for a while. But that will stop after the depreciation tapers off.

Granted, we're talking about MacroEcon, so there are always going to be exceptions. Just how many exceptions, I can't tell you because I haven't really seen any solid data on the subject. There isn't a BLS for bitcoin that I've seen.

Personally, I'm not spending right now anyway because I'm saving up for a second GPU to drop in my machine.
mickeyshrugged

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 08:58:48 PM

Roll Eyes You're talking about the price of Bitcoin relative to the dollar-- relative to a weakening fiat currency. Think about that. You're not actually talking about the price of Bitcoin in terms of something people would actually want to buy.

Once we start pricing Bitcoin in terms of gold, other commodities, or in terms of a consumer price index, volatility isn't even a meaningful subject.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 09:15:47 PM

But bitcoin <-> real money exchanges usually make small (traditionally - ~2%-5%) profit per exchange.
With such deflation (~3-6% per day) exchangers actually lose by selling bitcoin, so fees should go up...

Oh no.  We haven't lost money and our fees have actually gone down.  I must be doing something wrong.
Operatr

Activity: 798

www.DonateMedia.org

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 09:35:20 PM

As long as the Bitcoins reside in in-network, those Bitcoins will still buy that product will still be equivalent to how much it is worth retail. Today the buying power of a Bitcoin is about $100, any Bitcoin price would increase or decrease to reflect the change in how much a Bitcoin can purchase. If you can now buy $100 worth of stuff with a coin you bought much earlier at $10, you still gained $90 of buying power just for being an early adopter.

I think people are looking too short-term though. This growth will occur over years, don't worry about your coins but save some up, and spend some of them too to help the Bitcoin economy function.

The Bitcoin network is consuming bank accounts right now from broken systems, naturally its going to be a crappy looking graph while this goes on, this is just the beginning.

DGrandioseD

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 09:37:29 PM

It's a newborn for starters, and because there's a fixed supply and a forever increasing pool of adopters, the value is set to rise until everyone knows what Bitcoin is and has decided they want it or don't want it.

Yup, it'll continue to rise imo
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 09:50:19 PM

I think one of the problems with bitcoin to be implemented to buy and sell in commerces is this volatility, because the average seller doesn't want to be adapting its prices every 3 hours since their prices need to be sharp to compete.

A couple lines of code should fix that for online sellers:

RATE = {get current bitcoin price from mtgox.com}
PRICE = XXXX USD
BTCPRICE = (PRICE / RATE) BTC

Have this run when the buyer loads their page, and they will always have an up to date price.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
yvv
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 10:07:23 PM

Keep your menu price in local currency, use a local currency quote at time of checkout. It's not rocket science.

fixed

yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 10:11:56 PM

+1

yvv
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 10:41:13 PM

You observations are very good. But they don't tell anything about hoarding rate. All this would happen if number of bitcoin users increase, or number of hoarders increase.

To hoard a bitcoin you need to make a number of transactions. A miner should sell it because he needs to pay off his loan for mining hardware as soon as possible. He needs to transfer his bitcoins to exchange, then a buyer needs to transfer them to his wallet. And those who care about safety and anonymity would pass their btc several times to different wallets. From your plots, you do not know, what exactly happened with those bitcoins: where they spent for goods, or did they make their tricky way to offline saving wallets.

The use of bitcoins as currency definitely increases, you hear it on the news lately, but I strongly suspect that hoarding increases at much higher rate. I do not have any strong arguments for or against this assumption though, except conversations with friends who buy bitcoins and ASICs just to hoard.

aarreeaa (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 10:55:20 PM

I for one am unclear why that's a distortion of your argument.  People don't stop needing things just because holding on to money longer can mean you'll get more value for it tomorrow.
We arent talking about money in general. You can buy stuff online with creditcard, bankwire, paypal, etc... and decentralized, anonymous currency - bitcoin (good idea only as long as its stable and reliable payment option).
Obvious trend is: many who have bitcoins that become a lot more valuable with each passing week (compared to real money like $, EUR, whatever), do see it as an investment and are more and more reactant to buy stuff with bitcoin.
aarreeaa (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:11:44 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2013, 11:30:36 PM by aarreeaa

Oh no.  We haven't lost money and our fees have actually gone down.  I must be doing something wrong.
I have no doubt that most exchangers currently do make nice money by exchanging bitcoin.
And experts know actual buy/sell requests trend and will profitably adjust balances in buffer accounts :')
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:27:05 AM

We arent talking about money in general. You can buy stuff online with creditcard, bankwire, paypal, etc... and decentralized, anonymous currency - bitcoin (good idea only as long as its stable and reliable payment option).
Obvious trend is: many who have bitcoins that become a lot more valuable with each passing week (compared to real money like $, EUR, whatever), do see it as an investment and are more and more reactant to buy stuff with bitcoin.

People are only reluctant to buy using bitcoins if they think the price is going to keep going up like it has been. If I bout 10 dollars of bitcoins, and now they are worth 20 dollars, then I have no problem spending half of them to buy something, it is like getting it for free and I still have 10 dollars worth of bitcoins.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
HighInBC

Activity: 85
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:33:05 AM

With a payment service like bitpay you get your bitcoins converted to dollars instantly, so it does not matter what the price of bitcoins are. In fact when it goes up your customers suddenly have more money to spend.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: