Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:29:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: are the feds buying bitcoins?  (Read 1268 times)
XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:27:44 AM

Ok so I have this thought that maybe the feds are buying up a lot of bitcoins.

as you all know the Federal Reserve Bank has NOTHING to do with the federal government, they are a wholly separate entity that makes these pieces of paper (dollers) in exchange for the governments little pieces of paper (bonds) and these bonds are a promise of repayment WITH interest. so this small groupe of people known as the fed res are in control of the money supply. government doesn't really like it but I wont get in to that here, they do like taxes though. so im thinking (obviously) that the feds do not like this new money, they hate it actually, so they get a couple hundred people and there job is to buy up a lot of bitcoins. but not all at once. maybe a few hundred thousand here and a few thousand there, do this for days and days and weeks and make a few dumps along the way but soon enough they will have an incredible amount of coins and they will dump sell them so fast it will cause a panic sell. they will keep doing this till everyone want out of this horrible up down market.

Just a thought. - they know about bitcoin, they dont like bitcoin, they are doing something right now about bitcoin, they will stop at nothing to destroy bitcoin.

what do you think- how else might this play out?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
makairamazara

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:36:38 AM

I've seen this brought up a number of times on the forum as well as /r/bitcoin, and while it's theoretically possible I doubt the Fed even knows what Bitcoin is at the moment. It's still a fringe currency. While the scenario you've set forth might theoretically work, I imagine a $1 billion market cap currency is too small to consider a threat from their perspective.
BitzMD

Activity: 421

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 12:38:41 AM

There was a newspaper article I came across mentioning Al Gore's semi-endorsement of Bitcoins. I thought that was somewhat interesting.

XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:42:27 AM

I could try to find the link, but i saw this youtube video that showed a hearing on bitcoins to the feds asking them to not mess with the bitcoin market and allow the market to figure it self out.

they know! make no mistake of it, they know

XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:46:02 AM

There was a newspaper article I came across mentioning Al Gore's semi-endorsement of Bitcoins. I thought that was somewhat interesting.

very! wow!!!  Shocked    can you post link for everyone to see?

what happens in a world that bitcoins are the currency? how will they be taxed?

the government has all ready announced that they should receive taxes on bitcoin exchanges.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:46:12 AM
Last edit: March 31, 2013, 01:10:13 AM by Gator-hex

The Treasury has a $550bn fund called the Exchange Stabilization Fund to manipulate currencies against the dollar.
http://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/fedpoint/fed14.html

The Fed is also printing new money through POMO/TOTO at rate of $14-112bn per month to buy assets too.
http://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/tot_operation_schedule.html

CIA is reported to be investing in the Bitcoin project through http://www.iqt.org/ after a couple of Bitcoin founders went to see them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-Q-Tel

Bitcoin CIA Connection Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5VC58gjnjY#t=3m33s

XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:55:42 AM

The Treasury has a $550bn fund called the Exchange Stabilization Fund to manipulate currencies against the dollar.
http://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/fedpoint/fed14.html

The Fed is also printing new money through POMO/TOTO at rate of $14-112bn per month to buy assets too.
http://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/tot_operation_schedule.html

thank you!!! ill look more into this.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:59:23 AM

Oh and CIA's investment arm In-Q-Tel (added to my previous post)  Wink

itsunderstood

Activity: 364

American1973

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:14:06 AM

Considering its easier to buy blow on SR, than to drive into crappy DC neighborhoods, I assume many politicians are users of bitcoin.  To endorse it openly, is another thing entirely.

MANBEARPIG DEMANDS AN ANSWER:  How soon until DC madams and brothels accept bitcoin?  Or will LiteCoin snap up the snatch market first?!

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
CypherPunk

Activity: 6

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:25:28 AM

as you all know the Federal Reserve Bank has NOTHING to do with the federal government, they are a wholly separate entity that makes these pieces of paper (dollers) in exchange for the governments little pieces of paper (bonds) and these bonds are a promise of repayment WITH interest. so this small groupe of people known as the fed res are in control of the money supply. government doesn't really like it but I wont get in to that here, they do like taxes though. so im thinking (obviously) that the feds do not like this new money, they hate it actually, so they get a couple hundred people and there job is to buy up a lot of bitcoins. but not all at once. maybe a few hundred thousand here and a few thousand there, do this for days and days and weeks and make a few dumps along the way but soon enough they will have an incredible amount of coins and they will dump sell them so fast it will cause a panic sell. they will keep doing this till everyone want out of this horrible up down market.

Just a thought. - they know about bitcoin, they dont like bitcoin, they are doing something right now about bitcoin, they will stop at nothing to destroy bitcoin.

I'm not sure the Federal Reserve really cares about Bitcoin yet (although the Cyprus situation might change that) but you can bet that agencies like the FBI and CIA do. Because of the potential for anonymous exchange, it's the perfect currency to pay informants. Additionally, it wouldn't surprise me if governments are using it to pay double agents. Again, the potential for anonymity makes it perfect.

So yes, I believe the feds are buying Bitcoin. Maybe not to destroy it but to use it to their ends.
solomon

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:12:36 AM

It would make quite a few of us super wealthy. If the fundamentals of bitcoin are still intact, ie the only thing difference being the price, there will still be a significant number of people that would only see the low price as an opportunity to buy more, never intending to sell.

bitcoin price ticker | bits.so
XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 04:46:36 AM

I'm not sure the Federal Reserve really cares about Bitcoin yet (although the Cyprus situation might change that) but you can bet that agencies like the FBI and CIA do. Because of the potential for anonymous exchange, it's the perfect currency to pay informants. Additionally, it wouldn't surprise me if governments are using it to pay double agents. Again, the potential for anonymity makes it perfect.

So yes, I believe the feds are buying Bitcoin. Maybe not to destroy it but to use it to their ends.

a positive spin on it? nice, I love to look at all angles and possibilitys of situations.
GimpyPrime

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:30:19 AM

I would bet no, at least not in large quantities.

I hope I am wrong though, because if they are investing then they are only giving it credibility. Also, it is very unlikely that they would destroy the bitcoins. They run the risk of losing a huge investment if they fail in crushing it. Bitcoin is also not the only decentralized currency, and they can't single out every one. If they want to stop decentralized currencies in general they will need some major deterrents.

Let's look at the USA track record, it is always about controlling the people and them always failing... They privatize banking and bankers maintain a monopoly for 100 years, they implemented income tax for 100 years, they wage a war on drugs so far has been failing for 40 years, they wage a war against P2P file sharing and are failing for approximately 10 years. Entrepreneurs sick of government attempts to control create decentralized currency and now government starts losing monopoly on banking/taxing.

The only battle against freedom the US Government/Private Elite has ever really won was controlling people with debt/taxes. Now they are at risk to lose it all. The future inability for the government to print money means they won't be able to wage war, and banks won't be able to fund them with fresh money off the press. Nothing they can do to stop it now, so they better get used to it.

EETanner

Activity: 28

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:55:58 AM

I've been thinking about this as well:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=162438.0
smith88

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:06:05 AM

another certain funded group.... (i didn't want to use their acronym for many reasons) is actively pursuing btc and sr.  i won't post anything else here.  from what i've gathered they don't care about btc but only sr stuff and channels.....
XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:31:35 PM

I've been thinking about this as well:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=162438.0

I like your link, I can see you have given it some thought.
EETanner

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 06:49:34 AM

Wish there was a "like" button Smiley  Thanks it' intriguing stuff.
buddhacoiner

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:12:11 AM

Bitcoin cannot be shut down unless the entire internet infrastructure is removed.  So, in the meantime, yeah....government and federal reserves are definitely going to get involved in some way. hmmmm..
discopete

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:43:11 PM

hey, at least we can all go and buy some tin foil to make hats out of with the profit we've made in the last month :-)
XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 08:10:55 PM

hey, at least we can all go and buy some tin foil to make hats out of with the profit we've made in the last month :-)

yes some profits, but this topic should be taken seriously, this little idea of bitcoins is not so little any more and the ones in control of the money...actually physically making the money and charging intrest for using this money are not just going to sit back and do nothing. these people dont work, they let there money make them more money.  these people think its funny that we work three months out of the year for free. but now with a monetary system that cannot be tracked then there are no taxes or no need to print more money or at lest less of it and less intrest paind back to them. so you may joke about tinfoil hats but we need to keep an open mind about what could what is and what may allready be happening.

untill you have bought somthing and own it or transfered your coins into actual cash you realy truly have nothing but the possibility of that welth. it could go to ten buck tomorrow or less and all that money you spent on tinfoil makes you look kinda dumb.

dont count your chickens untill they hatch. dont count your chips while at the poker table. etc etc etc. 
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: