Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:01:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bfl a scam?  (Read 6806 times)
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:48:22 PM

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:57:55 PM

Do you have documentation that your refund has been refused?

No. No answer to my mail, only silence!
willphase

Activity: 767

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:05:35 PM

they aren't a scam, they just appear to have totally underestimated the amount of time/skill/effort it takes to create an ASIC from scratch, and their timescales have been overly ambitious the whole time.  I don't think there is any malice in what they are doing though, just bad luck and hitting a number of issues they didn't forsee.

Hopefully there should be a video later tonight of the ASIC hashing for real.

Will

Frizz23

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:12:43 PM

I don't think there is any malice in what they are doing though, ...

Promise in September (2012) to ship in October (2012) when they had literally nothing (no ASICS, no prototype, not even a functional design), stringing people along month after month and make fun of the competition (that managed to deliver their products months ago) - you don't see and "malice" in this?

maqifrnswa

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:19:33 PM

I don't think there is any malice in what they are doing though, ...

Promise in September (2012) to ship in October (2012) when they had literally nothing (no ASICS, no prototype, not even a functional design), stringing people along month after month and make fun of the competition (that managed to deliver their products months ago) - you don't see and "malice" in this?

Hanlon's razor:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
Frizz23

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:45:28 PM

Hanlon's razor:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

OK.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:31:26 PM

If you haven't pulled your money by now, it is probably already too late....
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 11:44:36 PM

They promised me a product, a worst case delivery date, a refund rule and took my BTC. They missed the product spec, the date and did not pay the requested refund - it is a scam!

In addition they promised to pay 1000 BTC as charity donation if they miss the power goals. They admitted to miss the power goals but there is no sign of a 1000BTC payment as charity donation - it is a scam!

Plenty of people have received refunds.

The product is not yet finished - There are issues putting the power demand way over spec, which in turn means they have to crank down the current prototypes.
That's all it is right now -> A prototype.
One individual seemingly also has one of those prototypes, Luke Jr which has been well respected community member for quite some time now.

If you are making a pottery bowl, half way there it looks more like a vase, did you fail to make a bowl or aren't simply finished yet?

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
Detritus

Activity: 295
Merit: 98

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:47:59 PM

One individual seemingly also has one of those prototypes, Luke Jr which has been well respected community member for quite some time now.

Rspected by who?  Grin
PulsedMedia

Activity: 402

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 12:29:42 AM

Rspected by who?  Grin

You have been long enough lurking you should by now know who Luke Jr is ...

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 12:50:24 AM

Rspected by who?  Grin

Well...he has family, right?
Detritus

Activity: 295
Merit: 98

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:13:50 AM

Rspected by who?  Grin

You have been long enough lurking you should by now know who Luke Jr is ...

I didn't say I didn't know who he was, I said I didn't respect him.
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:15:57 AM

if anyone has any proof/evidence either way on whether or not bfl is a scam, id be interested since im thinking of ordering

They continue taking money for 3rd batches while they haven't delivered the first batch yet.
They claimed several shiping dates already but they still havent got a working product.
People invested in them last year because they promised to deliver last year. We are now past the first quarter of the next year and still no product. Meanwhile the difficulty has tripled since the time they originally claimed they would deliver.
So their advertising is pretty much a scam and their ASIC products, alstho still unreleased, are now worth a lot less than they were 6 months ago when they were supposed to be delivered.
mobodick

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:24:26 AM

They promised me a product, a worst case delivery date, a refund rule and took my BTC. They missed the product spec, the date and did not pay the requested refund - it is a scam!

In addition they promised to pay 1000 BTC as charity donation if they miss the power goals. They admitted to miss the power goals but there is no sign of a 1000BTC payment as charity donation - it is a scam!

Plenty of people have received refunds.

The product is not yet finished - There are issues putting the power demand way over spec, which in turn means they have to crank down the current prototypes.
That's all it is right now -> A prototype.

If you are making a pottery bowl, half way there it looks more like a vase, did you fail to make a bowl or aren't simply finished yet?

In case of BFL, they first bake the clay, then find out it's a vase and not a bowl, and that they are basically back to making the bowl again.
StringTheory

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

Making Sense of Things

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:38:02 AM

For the sake of network security I'm hoping it is not a scam, but what you really need to be considering is your place in line when these units start to ship.  Your order will most likely be in the tens of thousands, and I am predicting many hardware revamps and upgrades before all orders are filled which will likely cause a delay of some degree.  The low hanging fruit has been picked, and if you are looking for a quick way to earn BTC and exchange them for fiat, there is much you need to consider.

Successful Transactions: jayson3 +1
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:12:27 AM

It really depends upon your definition of a scam.

If I offer you a trip to the moon for $30k that would be an incredible bargain.

If I take 1 million $30k deposits and spend the money trying to build a moon rocket with 4 seats on it, is it a scam?  

If I promise that trips will start next week, every week for a year, is it a scam? 

If I advertise on google that you can buy your trip to the moon for 30k and overlook telling you that there are 250,000 trips ahead of you is it a scam?

This exactly.
thebaron

Activity: 434

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:30:58 AM

Pre-ordering a product that doesn't exist comes with an inherent risk of you never getting anything. You are nothing more than another name for an investor of a business that might fail.
xan_The_Dragon (OP)

Activity: 322

I AM A DRAGON

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 05:50:39 PM

The Bitcoin community is so tolerant of being ripped off, that if BFL delivers a Pet Rock with a SHA-256 base64 encoded stenciled on it, then BFL would not be considered a scam. The rock draws no electricity, and generates exactly 1 hash. Thus it could be argued that its Mh/J is infinite (or undefined). The ROI is sketchy tho...
lmao 1 hash

MfFMEpgL5Ma9C2yw6iSsSX4QcbSVzjm6iK
Evan

Activity: 507

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:08:14 AM

if anyone has any proof/evidence either way on whether or not bfl is a scam, id be interested since im thinking of ordering

They continue taking money for 3rd batches while they haven't delivered the first batch yet.
They claimed several shiping dates already but they still havent got a working product.
People invested in them last year because they promised to deliver last year. We are now past the first quarter of the next year and still no product. Meanwhile the difficulty has tripled since the time they originally claimed they would deliver.
So their advertising is pretty much a scam and their ASIC products, alstho still unreleased, are now worth a lot less than they were 6 months ago when they were supposed to be delivered.

There's a difference between fraud and breach of contract. Sometimes a breach of contract is fraud, but not all breaches of contract are fraud.

Common law fraud in this sort of case is divided into two categories: (1) entering into contracts without any intent to perform the contracts obligations in the future, (2) making misrepresentations about present or past facts.

We're likely only worried about (1).

So, the question is whether this apparently shitty business was taking orders without any intention to fulfill them. If so, that's fraud.

But (2) could arise. For instance, if they lied and told you your order was on its way when it wasn't in order to keep you from cancelling the order, challenging the order with PayPal, or to induce you to buy even more stuff, that would also be fraud.

There are also different varieties of statutory fraud (I'll ignore the federal mail fraud statutes and things like that). Most states have a consumer fraud statute that is easier to use than common law fraud. Generally under statutory consumer fraud statutes, you need to show that the seller made a misrepresentation or omission in the sale or advertising of goods and that you were harmed by misrepresentation or omission. Unlike in a common law fraud case, you generally don't have to prove whether you reasonably relied on the misrepresentation or omission.

I just don't know enough about the situation to know whether fraud has occurred, but the comments suggest that it's almost certainly breach of contract.

I am poor, but i do work for Coin Smiley
1PtHcavXoakgNkQfEQdvnvEksEY2NvwaLM
nathanrees19

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 07:58:30 AM

It's either an intentional scam or will end up being one because of the delusion/incompetence of the people running it.

There's no such thing as an unintentional scam. The concept is absurd.

What you're thinking of is a fuckup.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: