Bitcoin Forum
June 23, 2024, 12:51:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Bitcoin hasten the collapse of the US dollar?  (Read 2876 times)
GimpyPrime (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:10:10 AM

Will Bitcoin hasten the collapse of the US dollar?

Here are some facts about the USA economy to consider
1. More money is owed in debt than exists
2. The only way to liquidate debt is through bankruptcy
3. If the government defaults(Bankruptcy) on it's debt, it will basically destroy the currency value
4. To avoid defaulting on the debt they perpetually borrow money to keep paying down debt. At the same time interest on newly borrowed money causes even greater debt.
5. Each day the Federal Reserve prints approximately 4 billion dollars further devaluing the currency anyway.
6. There is no limit to the amount of money that can exist
7. It is a debt based monetary system.
8. Private Banks Control money supply
9. Money gets created every time you borrow money, not only when federal reserve prints it.

Basically the USA is in a situation where they are screwed either way.

Here are some facts about Bitcoin
1. A negative balance, or debt cannot exist in a bitcoin wallet
2. It has a finite amount of coins that can exist
3. No authority controls bitcoin

So those are the facts, now here is my heavily exaggerated but still possible future scenario. Starting with Bitcoins inception.

1. Decentralized currency experiment is started by some anonymous hacker
2. War on drugs forces traders to find more anonymous methods of transactions(Bitcoin). Further increasing its adoption.
3. As more investors flock to bitcoin, it reduces number of transactions in USD
4. Fewer transactions in USD reduce liquidity, causing deflation.
5. Governments will likely compensate with a printing run as usually, causing inflation
6. Increased money supply continues to devalue currency
7. All the while the value gap between Bitcoin/USD continues to grow farther apart.
8. Investor confidence continues to grow in Bitcoin, confidence in USD continues to drop
9. Initially bank runs ensue, people try to get their money out.
10. People begin using loans/credit to purchase untraceable Bitcoins, and then declare bankruptcy
11. Banks begin to collapse because Bitcoins are untraceable assets. Meaning no assets can be reclaimed from bankruptcy.
12. Trading Volume between BTC/USD is at all time low
13. At some point the banking elite begins to mass purchase bitcoins to hedge their losses. Some may be too late, some may not be too late.
14. Any bankers that get into bitcoin early to hedge their losses in effect will have contributed to its success
15. The War On Drugs now indirectly caused the collapse of Fractional Reserve Banking.

I'm writing this post mostly for amusement so I can get into the other forums. I need those 5 posts... Anyway I am still interested in discussing this though. I am a Libertarian if you couldn't tell.

zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:14:29 AM

We are working on it  Grin
GimpyPrime (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:30:57 AM

We are working on it  Grin

Chop chop!
Gab1159

Activity: 75

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:32:25 AM

Here are some facts about the USA economy to consider
1. More money is owed in debt than exists
2. The only way to liquidate debt is through bankruptcy
3. If the government defaults(Bankruptcy) on it's debt, it will basically destroy the currency value
4. To avoid defaulting on the debt they perpetually borrow money to keep paying down debt. At the same time interest on newly borrowed money causes even greater debt.
5. Each day the Federal Reserve prints approximately 4 billion dollars further devaluing the currency anyway.
6. There is no limit to the amount of money that can exist
7. It is a debt based monetary system.
8. Private Banks Control money supply
9. Money gets created every time you borrow money, not only when federal reserve prints it.

Basically the USA is in a situation where they are screwed either way.

Here are some facts about Bitcoin
1. A negative balance, or debt cannot exist in a bitcoin wallet
2. It has a finite amount of coins that can exist
3. No authority controls bitcoin

So those are the facts, now here is my heavily exaggerated but still possible future scenario. Starting with Bitcoins inception.

1. Decentralized currency experiment is started by some anonymous hacker
2. War on drugs forces traders to find more anonymous methods of transactions(Bitcoin). Further increasing its adoption.
3. As more investors flock to bitcoin, it reduces number of transactions in USD
4. Fewer transactions in USD reduce liquidity, causing deflation.
5. Governments will likely compensate with a printing run as usually, causing inflation
6. Increased money supply continues to devalue currency
7. All the while the value gap between Bitcoin/USD continues to grow farther apart.
8. Investor confidence continues to grow in Bitcoin, confidence in USD continues to drop
9. Initially bank runs ensue, people try to get their money out.
10. People begin using loans/credit to purchase untraceable Bitcoins, and then declare bankruptcy
11. Banks begin to collapse because Bitcoins are untraceable assets. Meaning no assets can be reclaimed from bankruptcy.
12. Trading Volume between BTC/USD is at all time low
13. At some point the banking elite begins to mass purchase bitcoins to hedge their losses. Some may be too late, some may not be too late.
14. Any bankers that get into bitcoin early to hedge their losses in effect will have contributed to its success
15. The War On Drugs now indirectly caused the collapse of Fractional Reserve Banking.

I'm writing this post mostly for amusement so I can get into the other forums. I need those 5 posts... Anyway I am still interested in discussing this though. I am a Libertarian if you couldn't tell.

GENIUS!
zeroday
Donator

Activity: 784

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:39:57 AM

GENIUS!

Sure. I guess Deutshe Bank will be a good option to start with.
GimpyPrime (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:11:05 AM

GENIUS!

Hopefully my bank doesn't read that Tongue
hiima

Activity: 112

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:17:13 AM

The future seems like a place where I will need my bitcoins.

Whiskey Fund BTC 1K2SG4amzNrB7gUwf5braHuExqnQ5nEKZp LTC Lgoz9gb7q39FMAmBz8odfkx4YFhLeofCpc
Friend of a Friend

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:01:36 AM

The future seems like a place where I will need my bitcoins.

Bitcoins are a definite must in the future.
Worldseeker

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:20:13 AM

That's a billion dollar question you've got on your hands
mothership

Activity: 13

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:45:49 PM

I doubt the dollar is involved in any sort of tipping point w/ bitcoin. More likely the Euro or Yen between what's happened in Cyprus and the BOJ's insisting on a 2% inflation target for the yen "at all costs"
puax

Activity: 17

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 12:56:10 PM

This is ridiculous.
By the way borrowing to buy bitcoin, hide them and then default is a fraudulent bankruptcy and would get you jail time in many countries.
TCollar

Activity: 56

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 02:01:29 PM

The Dollar will collapse just fine on its own.

But, that will increase, or has increased the value of bitcoin.  We owe some gratitude to the policies of Central Bankers around the globe and lots of thanks should go out to the EU and the Governments of Europe (Thanks Germany.  Thanks for screwing Cyprus to bail out Greece!)

Bitcoin:  How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love The Fed.

Eylrid

Activity: 24

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:23:47 PM

But, that will increase, or has increased the value of bitcoin.  We owe some gratitude to the policies of Central Bankers around the globe and lots of thanks should go out to the EU and the Governments of Europe (Thanks Germany.  Thanks for screwing Cyprus to bail out Greece!)

Bitcoin:  How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love The Fed.

Every nuclear fallout cloud has a glowing silver lining.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 03:26:46 PM

But, that will increase, or has increased the value of bitcoin.  We owe some gratitude to the policies of Central Bankers around the globe and lots of thanks should go out to the EU and the Governments of Europe (Thanks Germany.  Thanks for screwing Cyprus to bail out Greece!)

Bitcoin:  How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love The Fed.

Every nuclear fallout cloud has a glowing silver green lining.

Fixed that for you Wink Cheesy
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 03:44:42 PM

Good post OP.

I thought I would add this:  In the Jared Loughner shooting, imo, it was Judge John Roll who was the real target.  He adjudicated drug cases, and had ruled just days before on this one:

http://drkatesview.wordpress.com/2011/01/31/judge-john-roll-target-or-victim/

[...]

Confiscation of Savings

Judge Roll announced he was about to rule against the Obama administration in the case  U.S. v. $330,520.00 in US Currency and Saturn Aura XE 2007, filed in November 2010 and involving bulk cash smuggling into or out of the United States.   A jury acquitted the defendant but the United States still sought forfeiture of the funds, and this was the case upon which Judge Roll made the preliminary finding against the United States.

The Obama administration advanced its position that it could bypass Congress and rule through Executive Order, and cited FDR’s Executive Order 6102 which confiscated Americans’ gold in order to ‘fix’ the economy in 1933, and built upon the Acts of October 6, 1917 and March 9, 1933.

Judge Roll’s ruling would have prevented the Obama administration from seizing these funds and the property involved without demonstrating clear and convincing evidence of a crime being committed.

Here is the case: http://dockets.justia.com/docket/arizona/azdce/4:2010cv00703/568697/

So to expound on some of the very fine points in your post, indeed, the drug war can be said to be winning or losing, based on how much booty the agents of that war, collect.  Now, as to how bitcoin affects their end game of total US wealth confiscation, remains to be seen, but the very case they cite, FDR's gold grab, shows their intent.

And as you may know, in 2008, the only thing that kept the world economy afloat, was drug money.

So... Yeah.  In the end, confiscation is the final chess move that will alter the battlefield.  The Cyprus thing is that move, one could say that the US "wins this round" by having the EU (Germany and Rome) to have to make that first move, in the sense that each of the three blocs (US, UE and BRICs) is trying to force the other, to make their move first.  Like when a gunfighter says "draw"  ...Well, the EU has blinked first, and stole directly from one of their nations, and this will surely have results.  The only question is, at what time and place and under what code, will the US then make the same move.

I believe that any bank account in the US which has any bitcoin activity, places itself in the crosshairs for first-action for when the US decides to do the deposit "haircut" thing.  But Obama's handlers know that when they make this move, it will have serious consequences.  The body trail is growing behind this administration, and of course it relates to Bill and Hillary, who were drug runners out of Mena, AR and who have a huge body trail behind themselves as well.  So the top of the pyramid in the US is kinda showing their hand, but I doubt most Americans can see it.

One other point is that right before Obama won the nomination in 2008, it appears that Bill and Hillary tried to muscle him with (it is assumed) his legitimacy as to birth certificate and his history as a CIA asset.  This is evidenced from the fact that Democratic Party chairman Bill Gwatney was gunned down by a sleeper killer just a week or so before the nomination was given to Obama.  Gwatney was a long time friend of the Clintons, and so this was obviously a message from the Obama/Jarret/Ayres faction to the Whitewater/Mena faction that if they pushed Obama, more friends of the Clintons, would die.

So underneath all the day to day happenings, there is a subtle message of threats and death, which floats on the US trade of drugs.  The US is the largest consumer of drugs of course, and "freedom" demands that drugs remain available.  So the issues you raise, about drugs and bitcoin, are probably very true.  I am guessing that once Obama's handlers (Jarrett and Co.) make him drop the hammer and confiscate the bitcoin bank accounts and/or domains, shit will hit the fan quickly after that.

A further question would be, what banks are actually backing up sites like instawallet and blockchain?  They must have a bank behind them, don't they?  Or are these sites, which hold potentially millions of USD worth of BTC, are just databases, and have no banks behind them?  I think this subject is worth further discussion.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
lukestokes

Activity: 165
Merit: 102

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:48:57 PM

My question to these types of thought exercises is... when? Schiff said last year things would collapse the middle of this year. The bond market doesn't make sense. How much time do you think people have to make a move to something like Bitcoin, gold or silver?

Good OP though. Nice way to get out of noobie jail. Smiley

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:29:56 PM

The dollar collapsed in 1971 when Nixon default on the gold standard and ended Bretton Woods.

All that happened is they created a new Dollar.

Are they teaching your kids foreign language in school (Spanish/French)?
Is there a free trade agreement (NAFTA)?
Are there designs for a new currency (Amero)?

All this stuff happened just before the Euro was created too.  Wink

Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:53:54 PM

The US was declared bankrupt in 1933 by President Roosevelt and are still paying off the debt
Brutus I

Activity: 15

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:06:40 PM

The problem with the OP is it assumes the gov will just stand by and watch this happen with no intervention.
GimpyPrime (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:22:28 PM

The problem with the OP is it assumes the gov will just stand by and watch this happen with no intervention.

Everytime the government places restrictions on us we work around it through innovation. The latest example being Bitcoin...

The government will intervene, however the government can only fight back as long as they have purchasing power. Even as we speak Bitcoin as slowly eating away at their power, and every dollar the Federal Reserve prints only sets them back further.

The Government isn't the threat though, it is the Banks. They are the trillionaires of the world and stand to lose most. The ones who choose to fight back against Bitcoin will be a great threat to us and you are right, however people are greedy so there will be the ones who try to invest in Bitcoin to hedge their losses. These investors have been and will be the ones that make Bitcoin successful.

The ones who are late to the party can spend all their trillions on Bitcoin and still only end up as middle class.

This is a war on the currency monopoly maintained by central banks. We've fought for freedoms in the past, and we need to do it again.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: