Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:22:27 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ZCash: What's the point?  (Read 3776 times)
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 05:01:59 PM

A master key and the fact that some of the developers have done work for the Israeli government are somewhat troubling.
Also, aren't there rumors that they may have received some government funding on the project?
(Not sure if that is true but people have mentioned it before. I don't think anything was ever proven, just speculation based off the work people had done in the past.)

I need to do more research about this 'master key' and what it really does before I make up my mind I guess...

electronicash
Legendary

Activity: 3122
Merit: 1052

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2016, 05:10:26 PM

A master key and the fact that some of the developers have done work for the Israeli government are somewhat troubling.
Also, aren't there rumors that they may have received some government funding on the project?
(Not sure if that is true but people have mentioned it before. I don't think anything was ever proven, just speculation based off the work people had done in the past.)

I need to do more research about this 'master key' and what it really does before I make up my mind I guess...

really? thats something to look forward to. 
But if its true don't you think they need to put it on their ANN thread as well? this should help them gain more support.  but then again it all has to impress the community by its features.

█▄       ▄                                            ████     ▐███▌                                                 
    ▐████▄ ▄██                                           █████     ████▌
    ▐█████████▌                                          █████     ████
▄▄▄▄▄███████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄                                   █████    █████                                 █████
  ▀█████▀▀  ▄██████████▄                   ████     ▄██████████████████████                             █████
    ▀▀  ▄▄██████████████                  █████     ██████████████████████                             ▄█████
    ▄██████▀██▀█████████     ▄██████   ▄██████████      ████     █████          ▄████████    ▄██████▄  █████  █████
    █████▀▀ ▀▀ ▀██████    ▄███████████ ███████████     ▐████     █████       ▄███████████  ██████████  ██████████████
    ███████ █ ██████    ▄█████▀ ▐█████  ▐█████         █████     █████      ▄██████▀ ████ █████▀  ▀██  ██████████████
    █████▄  ▄ ▄▄██████▌ ██████████████  ██████    ██████████████████████▄ ▄█████    █████ ████████     █████    █████
   ▐██████ ██ █████████ ████████████    █████▌    ▀██████████████████████ █████    ██████  ██████████ ▄████▀   ▄█████
   ████████████████████ ██████          █████          ████     █████     █████▄  ███████      ██████ █████    ██████
   ██████████████████    █████████████  ████████      ▄████    ▐████▌     ██████████████  ███████████ █████    █████
   ████████████████▀      ██████████     ███████▀     ████▀     ████▌      ████████▌ ███  ▀████████   █████    █████
|
  Bet on Future Blocks & Earn a Passive Income
         Supports Bitcoin, Ethereum, EOS and more!   
   🎰 Play Lottery
🎲 Play Dice
🍀Get Referral Bonus
    ▄████████▄
  █████▀█▀██████
 ████▄  ▄  ▀█████
██████▌ ▀▀▀ ▄████▌
██████▌ ███  ████▌
 ████      ▄▄████
  █████▄█▄█████▀
    ▀▀██████▀▀
    ▄▄███████▄
  ▄█████████████
 █████████▀ ▀▀███▄
▐███▌   ▀    ▐████
▐████        █████
 █████▀    ▄█████▀
  ▀█████████████
    ▀▀███████▀
   ▄▄███████▄▄
 ▄█████████████▄
▄████████▀▀   ███
████▀▀  ▄█▀  ████
██▄▄ ▄█▀     ████
▀█████      █████
 ▀████▄███▄ ███▀
    ▀███████▀
c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 08:42:21 PM
Last edit: September 29, 2016, 09:00:50 PM by c789

Monero just implemented RingCT with full implementation scheduled for January...and no trusted setup is required.

EDIT: RingCT info here: https://getmonero.org/2016/09/19/monero-0.10.0-released.html

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
sui_generis

Activity: 243

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 08:53:02 PM

Monero just implemented RingCT with full implementation scheduled for January...and no trusted setup is required.
But what if I don't want to send a transaction instantly? What if I want to wait 5 + minutes? Zcash takes a nice, long time to generate a transaction. I also like that it requires 8GB+ of memory, making it effectively impossible to use on any mobile device.
c789

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 08:58:54 PM

But what if I don't want to send a transaction instantly? What if I want to wait 5+ minutes ? Zcash takes a nice, long time to generate a transaction. I also like that it requires 8GB+ of memory, making it effectively impossible to use on any mobile device.
I have to admit that it took me a few seconds to catch the sarcasm...well done  Cheesy

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 09:03:59 PM

Wait, what?
It requires 8GB of memory?
I haven't heard that.
If so that would mean it can't run on mobile devices, tablets, and many computers...
I see dozens of laptops and PCs every day that still come with 4GB of memory installed.

sui_generis

Activity: 243

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 09:11:08 PM

Wait, what?
It requires 8GB of memory?
I haven't heard that.
If so that would mean it can't run on mobile devices, tablets, and many computers...
I see dozens of laptops and PCs every day that still come with 4GB of memory installed.
That's what I've heard from those who tried out the testnet. Not certain whether that's something they can optimize.
mogrith
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1001

Use Coinbase Account almosanywhere with Shift card

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2016, 09:14:04 PM

Yeah, inherently zero-knowledge is superior to anything else but if you investigate Zcash its like a bitcoin sidechain with zerocoin, they even copied the bitcoin core, nothing evil about that but this means you have 2 systems: one with the trusted-setup to generate anonymous transaction (which take several minutes and need 8 GB RAM or more btw) and the transparent bitcoin system, also 20% of mining goes to the founders. I will wait for the future if some smart guy figures out how to make this without trusted setup and without the transparent bitcoin core.

Take a look at NAV
navcoin.org
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=679791.0

Merge mine BLC+PHO+ELT+XDQ+BBTC+UMO+LIT pool is open http://la1.blakecoin.com tips: 1MogRiTHpQZ7bkpq49cSVWADrTt7Jrghp
c789

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 09:22:05 PM

Yeah, inherently zero-knowledge is superior to anything else but if you investigate Zcash its like a bitcoin sidechain with zerocoin, they even copied the bitcoin core, nothing evil about that but this means you have 2 systems: one with the trusted-setup to generate anonymous transaction (which take several minutes and need 8 GB RAM or more btw) and the transparent bitcoin system, also 20% of mining goes to the founders. I will wait for the future if some smart guy figures out how to make this without trusted setup and without the transparent bitcoin core.

Take a look at NAV
navcoin.org
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=679791.0

I just checked out that link. In part, it says under the WHY OUR TECH IS PRETTY COOL section, "Nav Coin is the first cryptocurrency to be fully anonymous."

How do they explain this?  https://chainz.cryptoid.info/nav/#!rich

Compare that to Monero's Rich List:  http://moneroblocks.info/richlist

LiberOptions

Activity: 412

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 08:05:55 PM

Wut??? I hate those Israeli Sionist Bastards. Working for Israel is no good thing I tell you. Of course that not every israeli think alike and many are against their governement ideology. But, if the guys got funded from the Israeli governement I'm out...
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 08:16:20 PM

Saw a reddit advertisement for ZCash recently that only announced it as a crypto that has appreciated 5x in value. That's enough for me to never ever invest. No thanks.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 09:21:48 PM
Last edit: October 27, 2016, 10:25:27 PM by Bitcoinorama

zcash is will be everything bitcoin is not.  

• zcash will have a blockchain that cannot be audited which means there is no way to find hacks or track the true circulation.
  • zcash will charge a tax on miners to pay investors - 2.1 million coins across 4 years
  • zcash is a corporation with share holders in the company - what will happen when the corporation needs more money and needs to pay investors?
  • zcash is a privacy focused currency with known knowns based in the privacy friendly US

Bitcoin's blockchain was revolutionary in that it solved an issue that plagued digital currencies; trustless verification to prevent double spending. Without this one needed to trust centralised parties not to deceive or be coerced.

With Zcash you need to trust Zooko and co not to deceive you to increase the money supply (you wouldnt know otherwise) and not to be coerced (for instance by government), bearing in mind the company Zooko moves with (look at his investors and advisors - the who's who of alt pump and dumps) trust is crucial.

Fact is Zcash is a privacy orientated digital currency that requires complete trust.

Bitcoin is a digital currency where privacy can be incorporated and it trustless.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
25hashcoin

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 27, 2016, 10:56:21 PM

Zcash is a complete scam. Plain and simple. https://medium.com/@yobanjo/zcash-founders-might-make-60-million-in-first-year-2c9658b2dc5d#.9f2ot0y2h

Bitcoin - Peer to Peer Electronic CASH
LiberOptions

Activity: 412

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 03:34:53 PM

zcash is will be everything bitcoin is not.  

• zcash will have a blockchain that cannot be audited which means there is no way to find hacks or track the true circulation.
  • zcash will charge a tax on miners to pay investors - 2.1 million coins across 4 years
  • zcash is a corporation with share holders in the company - what will happen when the corporation needs more money and needs to pay investors?
  • zcash is a privacy focused currency with known knowns based in the privacy friendly US

Bitcoin's blockchain was revolutionary in that it solved an issue that plagued digital currencies; trustless verification to prevent double spending. Without this one needed to trust centralised parties not to deceive or be coerced.

With Zcash you need to trust Zooko and co not to deceive you to increase the money supply (you wouldnt know otherwise) and not to be coerced (for instance by government), bearing in mind the company Zooko moves with (look at his investors and advisors - the who's who of alt pump and dumps) trust is crucial.

Fact is Zcash is a privacy orientated digital currency that requires complete trust.

Bitcoin is a digital currency where privacy can be incorporated and it trustless.

Meaning that Bitcoin is still far better than Zcash. I wouldn't trust my money to invest in zcash at this point, it is all becoming too fishy. beware guys.
Eroina

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 05:11:32 PM

Because nobody believes in this idea, developers also have solved pump it
Only the great idea will be able to draw attention of people.
For example have acted wings and Waves this way
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1310

Get your game girl

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 06:53:18 PM

From what I've read, Zcash (formerly ZeroCoin) generates a masterkey that the devs have access to, that allows access to the complete blockchain, so you are trusting that the devs don't take advantage of this and delete the masterkey.

How retarded is that? Who would trust such technology?
-Where are you getting this information from ? Mind linking me to the source ?

-If somehow your information is true,aren't they being hypocrites for doing exactly what they promised not to?After-all,the hype is all about making the transactions anonymous as possible.
c789

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 07:06:52 PM

https://blog.okturtles.com/2016/03/the-zcash-catch/   and see the comments section at the bottom. The Zcash team repeatedly gives half-answers and refuses to completely answer questions.

http://weuse.cash/2016/06/09/btc-xmr-zcash/

FruitBucket

Activity: 286

View Profile
October 29, 2016, 08:10:11 PM

The technology behind ZCash is revolutionary. And while some argue it is new crypto ZK-snarks have been peer reviewed for some 5+ years now by the best security researchers.

I agree with the general sentiment that the trusted setup could have been more detailed, open and document and also should have included more people. Why would you only use 6 people for key generation - this is a very small sample and it is quite easy to collude here. More info here: https://github.com/zcash/mpc

dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 05:42:02 AM

Why would you only use 6 people for key generation

At 3000 BTC/ZEC, the temptation not to throw away that key must be tremendous !
densuj
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
October 30, 2016, 05:49:43 AM

For today ZCash is just for trading altcoins on poloniex and making profit or making lost into it, still there are no clear of point from the developer of ZCash, we must wait until there are updating from developers because it is new coin. There are no people know is it will be survive on markets or not.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: