Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:31:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My contrarian conspiracy theories.  (Read 873 times)
EETanner (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 05:44:11 AM

My contrarian conspiracy theories.

Friday I drove up the east coast.  It was about a 5 hour drive with plenty of coffee.  However, my radio was broken and so my mind started wandering.  These are my contrarian BTC conspiracy theories.

The government will never outlaw bitcoins, transacting bitcoins, or mining.

The common wisdom is that the government will, at some point, step in and make this currency illegal.  While I agree that politicians lack creativity, they are advised (traditionally) by some very creative economists;  Ben Bernanke and Henry Paulson for example.  The following are ways in which a creative government could use the BTC network to it’s advantage.

1.  As a Federal Reserve tool

The federal reserve could use BTC to control key inflation rates by buying and selling BTC.  The traditional tool to combat inflation is to raise interest rates to pull liquidity out of the market -- making borrowing money more expensive.  With a common Forex style BTC/USD they could effectively make dollars “appear” or “disappear” from the system.  This could save our country from run-away inflation by something horrible -- say, printing 85 billion dollars a month to buy mortgage backed securities and treasuries on the open market.  I know, who in their right mind would do that?

Let’s get slightly more sinister.  They not only could use the system as a monetary tool by buying/selling.  They could also have miners set up around the country (or world) in which they mine or don’t mine, raising or lowering the hash rate, and reward for mining.  This would be manipulating the currency market.  It wouldn’t be hard to do with almost 900 billion military budget.

So.  Why can’t they do this with gold; buying and selling the GLD?  I would argue that most large countries _are_ manipulating their currencies with gold.  However, gold is no longer bought and sold as a physical commodity.  It is typically bought (by non-millionaire, non-government investors) using an index that tracks it’s price.  In the event of a crisis, investors/savers only have a piece of paper or number on a screen.  This piece of paper/number could easily fall prey to something like a net worth tax ala Cypris.  In addition, if you think that bitcoins are hard to buy and sell -- trying buying or selling a car with physical gold.  You need third parties to verify that the substance offered is actually the gold quality the sellers/buyers say it is.

2.  As a tool for currency war.

The international community has been very worried about this recently as everyone from China, to the US to Japan are in a rush to devalue their currency.  Why?  Because the lower the value of your currency the more of it you get when doing international trade.  While the value might not change, ask a stock trader if it matters that their company has grown it’s profits in the last year.  Buying and selling stocks of companies based on metrics of this type like the P/E (Price to Earnings) ratio raises the market in general and gives confidence to the system.

So how could the United States use BTC to wage currency war?

The simple answer is that making BTC more attractive to investors, reduces the value of fiat money in _any_country by definition.  The US can control the value of the Yen, by again injecting or removing BTC from the network.  As long as the US is in a better position to handle an increase or decrease in the dollar vs BTC, they can force this change on foreign countries currency as well.

3.  Let’s say they do...

Yes.  I the government does weird stuff that is counter intuitive all the time.  Let’s say my conspiracy theory is wrong and they do take action against BTC.  If they are creative, they will make owning more than a certain amount of hashing power per-miner illegal.  See Marijuana and Guns.  Why do this?  Because they could set up their own block chain where they control greater than 50%.  This would give them all the benefits of an alternative currency, combined with the backing of the “full faith” of the United States and they would still control the entire currency.  Could you imagine the effect of printing money to buy their “BTC” version on the national debt?  We could print to infinity to service our Bonds (debt vehicles) while never really losing any taxpayer value that was invested in a crypto currency.

4.  Ignore the ASIC behind the curtain.

Worrying about ASICS are out of the context of the macro discussion I believe.  However, for fun I came up with a Contrarian Conspiracy Theory for those.  Is it more interesting to believe that BFL sucks, or is mining the coins themselves?  Or, perhaps men in black cars drove up and the Govt. ordered them to delay so that the “J. Edgers” could position themselves better for the future.  Don’t mind me, just having some conspiracy fun Wink  The 3ffBee3y3 have recently, in my opinion, indicated not to worry much about BTC -- which makes the argument that the Govt. will use this as a tool even more solidified.

5.  Disclaimer:

I’m a just a guy.  I have no crystal ball.  I trade in the market in ETFs, Variable Rate Bonds, Stocks etc.  I am not an economist, tax professional, or professional trader/money manager.  None of this should be construed as financial advice.  I own ~.007 BTC Smiley  I simply am fascinated by it’s potential and like to play mental games with myself.  I lurk these boards a great deal as they are interesting, but haven’t bothered to ask to be let out of n00bie world.  I don’t have nearly as much to contribute as some of the informative things I’ve read here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smith88

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:09:52 AM

i like creative thinking.  it's wonderful for the soul.  my only caution do give (sorry, unsolicited) is be careful about your theories and don't dig too deep. you never know what you'll dig up. and trust me sometimes things are better left buried. cheers
IggySe7ven

Activity: 464
Merit: 29

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:12:36 AM

great post, kinda scary though, you bring up alot of point that i never thought about, but i do agree, even though i am no expert on bitcoin i do think that if the government find it to be threat they will go to great lengths to destroy it.
panoss

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:28:55 PM

Hello all.
Being a conspiracy theorist(not freak) myself i find this post as the perfect place to share an idea that formed in my mind the first time i read about Bitcoin .Thought my technical knowledge of BitCoin is rather low, i am a non proffessional Forex trader for 3 years so i have a pretty good knowledge about fiat currencies and believe me all signs show that the macro-future of all of them is not bright.
Combining that with the theory that the new world order wants a global goverment,global religion and global electronic currency and looking at Bitcoin i wonder:
Could it be a well developed plan to make everybody think he is fighting the big bad wolf but instead he is getting in his house?
I know this  sounds crazy but if i had told you 4 years ago that a "guy" named "Satoshi" will "create" a currency that will be worth  1USDx100 on April 1 fools day  what would you have thought?
EETanner (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 03:12:44 AM

Thanks for the comments.  I can see the U.N. sitting around a large table with all the countries saying

"We are all in way to much debt to get out of." 

Someone at the end of the table says "Fine, lets just make a new currency."

"Ok, how do we get people to adopt it?"

"We tell them we don't like it."

I guess the main argument against this type of thinking is that the source code is open and you can review it to find anything "shady".  These types of things are fun to think about though.

Forex trader eh?  I played with that with fake money for a while and realized it was too fast for me.  I try to ride the dividend train these days in the hopes that slow and steady win the race.

Thanks again gentlemen.
panoss

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:48:56 AM

Forex indeed is a Jason Bourne class assassin if you try to trade anything less than a 4H chart and that is after you have watched the Daily-Weekly.
Nevertheless we all are into Forex trading without even realising it.Our houses,cars,land are all assets(or liabilities)whose value is correlated to the currency they are traded.And is always a good idea to be paid a divident that's in a currency that apreciated through the period.
Give me BTCdividents!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: