Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:08:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Formatted harddrive  (Read 456 times)
Ofiller (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 09:12:41 PM
Last edit: September 25, 2016, 06:36:53 PM by Ofiller

**** EDITED !! I got my bitcoin BACK! Thank you all so much for your help. Here's what the problem was (for other newbs). Apparently the newest version didn't work for retrieving my wallet. I went to **** EDITED!!
**** electrum and downloaded an older version, and BADABING my password worked for retrieving my lost wallet. So I didn't have to find my wallet file or anything, I only needed my password.           ****

Hi guys,

I formatted my hard drive on my laptop, and I thought that the seed was a way to recover my wallet?
I backed up the wrong files apparently (I didn't know about the appdata at the time)
- I know my seed by heart and got it written down as well. But I can't recover my wallet.

I have read tons of threads but found none with this specific problem.

Got no wallet file - so the question is, can I recover the wallet file on my formatted laptop?
Or can I recover my bitcoin with my seed somehow ? (I think it is a 2-factor wallet)

Thanks for reading - my best regards- Ofir

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 22, 2016, 09:45:39 PM

Yes, the seed will recover your wallet. Why aren't you able to recover it? Any errors?

As for the file itself, if you didn't touch that hard drive after formatting, and didn't erase all data completely, there's a remote chance you may still be able to recover the file.
serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 12:02:42 AM

Install recuva to recover your deleted files. Or any other software that is for recovering files.

Let it scan your HDD and if you can find the files then you can save them to a location you want!

Wink

Space for rent if its still trending
unholycactus
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1023

View Profile WWW
September 23, 2016, 12:35:09 AM

You know the 12 words by heart? Or are you thinking about something else?
The fact that you haven't been able to recover your wallet simply with your seed is cause to worry.
You should stop using that hard disk and try to recover the %appdata% folder if you care about the funds.
Ofiller (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 05:53:14 AM

wow thx for replying,

well, Yeah I used memo techniques for memorizing, and even wrote it down.

But when I install electrum and choose recover wallet. If I choose 1-factor and recover by seed, I am unable to open the program afterwards. (it just loads and then stops doing anything when I try to open)

If I choose 2-factor, and I am writing the seed, I am unable to click next. Because I think it wants me to upload a file (wallet?)

So the only possibility is to recover appdata from my formatted laptop ?
And how would I go about this, I have trying looking for help on the internet, but that has only gotten me more confused..
altcoinhosting

Activity: 896
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 05:57:16 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2016, 06:09:16 AM by altcoinhosting

~snip~
But when I install electrum and choose recover wallet. If I choose 1-factor and recover by seed, I am unable to open the program afterwards. (it just loads and then stops doing anything when I try to open)
~snip~

It sounds to me like you were able to restore your wallet, but the wallet hangs when generating addresses or syncing... Altough there's no guarantee you've used the correct seed tough... Since the wallet hangs before you could confirm anything.

Are you sure you waited long enough, installed an electrum version that is more or less the same as your old version, your OS is ok,... ?

All in all, it's good advice to stop using the harddisk just in case you need to recover the files tough!

serje
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 08:53:37 AM

wow thx for replying,

well, Yeah I used memo techniques for memorizing, and even wrote it down.

If I choose 2-factor, and I am writing the seed, I am unable to click next. Because I think it wants me to upload a file (wallet?)

So the only possibility is to recover appdata from my formatted laptop ?
And how would I go about this, I have trying looking for help on the internet, but that has only gotten me more confused..

Like I already told you! Search for any file restoration programs or install recuva! I used it and it worked for me!
P.S. If you keep using that HDD then it is possible to lose the shadow copies and you might not be able to recover anything!
Good luck.

Space for rent if its still trending
PantminerS7

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 08:55:31 AM

Reinstall electrum and see if it works.

I assume electrum worked before you wiped your HDD. Did you make any upgrades to your PC, like changing OS or hardware?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 09:36:35 AM

how many words are in your seed? For a 2fa wallet it should be a 25 word seed. Is that what you have?

BTW choosing 2fa as the wallet type when restoring the wallet is the correct approach for a 2fa wallet.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: