Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:04:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: dropped phone in toilet  (Read 941 times)
Justin00 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:30:48 AM

so for what ever reason.. as I was peeing last night I was holding phone (had a few to many drinks) and naturally it fell in the toilet...
Its a samsung s3. I then of course did the worst thing possible and kept trying to turn it on etc etc.

Its sitting in some rice atm which will apparently get rid of the moisture. Anyways.. when I turn it on the screen works for abit, flashes, works.. then goes a wierd purple color which blank lines everywhere, then if you touch again it works and basically repeats cycle. Also the 2 buttons at the bottom don't seem to work anymore either.

The screen going purple is the part the concerns me.. i don't think a little bit of water damage that could dry can cause that ? I would imagine something is probably majorly screwed right ?

I'll take it to a repair place on tuesday but they are going to know its water damaged Sad

Would it hurt to try dissemble it a little and spray contact cleaner basically everywhere ?? I know they have water damage stickers they will have activated so its to late for that, but would the contact cleaner make things worse ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:39:55 AM

Get it dried out thoroughly first before turning it on again. Hairdryer can help.

As for will they know its been down your toilet, depends how wet and smelly and disfunctional it is. Probably yes. Its a pretty common occurrence.
karasu

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 10:34:23 AM

Would it hurt to try dissemble it a little and spray contact cleaner basically everywhere ?? I know they have water damage stickers they will have activated so its to late for that, but would the contact cleaner make things worse ?

I had some luck with reviving water dropped electronics using IPO baths. Contact cleaner contains propane which is barely solluble in water, while IPO mix with water in all proportions. Nice IPO bath followed by some time in dry, moderately warm spot, surrounded by paper towels or silica packets will dry up most/all humidity from under the components and ICs.
Liam W

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:01:04 PM

Put some tip-ex over the water damage sticker  Roll Eyes
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:18:23 PM

Kitty litter. Bury the phone in clean litter for at least 48 hours. If at all possible, remove the battery. If you don't have litter, you can use rice, but obviously, that ruins the rice.

This will dry the phone out completely. Hopefully, it should be fine, after.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Sword Smith

Activity: 406
Merit: 286

Neptune, Scalable Privacy

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:19:15 PM

You should dry it in the microwave oven and then tip me for my great advice!!1

Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:24:15 PM

You should dry it in the microwave oven and then tip me for my great advice!!1

I think he'll be in hospital due to an exploded microwave...
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:24:56 PM

Kitty litter. Bury the phone in clean litter for at least 48 hours. If at all possible, remove the battery. If you don't have litter, you can use rice, but obviously, that ruins the rice.

Unless the circuits have already been damaged due to the water... Then drying it wont really help.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:31:31 PM

Unless the circuits have already been damaged due to the water... Then drying it wont really help.

True, but if the circuits are damaged, there's not much you can do. Once the magic blue smoke gets out of the chips, they don't work anymore. You'll have to get new chips, with the smoke still locked inside.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:37:09 PM

True, but if the circuits are damaged, there's not much you can do. Once the magic blue smoke gets out of the chips, they don't work anymore. You'll have to get new chips, with the smoke still locked inside.

Magic blue smoke...
myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:39:04 PM

Magic blue smoke...

Oh, you're not familiar with the "smoke theory" of Electronics?

Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:40:12 PM

Magic blue smoke...

'fraid not Wink

myrkul

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:43:06 PM

Magic blue smoke...

'fraid not Wink
I found a web page that explains it... in much the same way as my electronics instructor explained it to me:
http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfun_writings_smoke.htm

Liam W

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 06:54:27 PM

Magic blue smoke...

'fraid not Wink
I found a web page that explains it... in much the same way as my electronics instructor explained it to me:
http://www.peizhang.com/forfun/forfun_writings_smoke.htm

I'll be sure to read all that Wink
Justin00 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:16:02 AM

gave it a good clean..
made it worse :p
now screen is really dim.. and there is a huge permanent stain (like when you poke an LCD) in the corner.

I'll just demand they fix it.. for free.. I'm good at that sort of thing.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: