Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:07:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-03-31; TheVerge.com; Total Bitcoin value passes $1 billion  (Read 1155 times)
WiW (OP)

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:19:55 PM

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/30/4164634/total-bitcoin-value-passes-1-billion

I'm dying to make it first to these articles just to make the first comment something like,
"New rule: if you didn't read the white paper, understand the basic concepts including but not limited to the POW system, the blockchain, p2p technology, open source communication protocols, hashing algorithms, public key private key cryptography, etc., you are NOT allowed to comment. Thank you!"

What can you expect...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 01:58:40 PM

The drop in the reward subsidy haven't affect the price of bitcoin even one lick.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 3160

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 06:18:52 PM

The drop in the reward subsidy haven't affect the price of bitcoin even one lick.

Probably more than one lick but certainly less than two. It has a small affect on the supply for sale, but not a lot.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
tjohej

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Magic Staff

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 08:28:36 PM

The article is wrong.
as the exchange rate for each individual unit of the encrypted digital currency rose above $92.
There's no damn encryption used in Bitcoin. My opinion is similar to WiW's, but not the same.

That for journalists to get the honest opinion of doing "good journalism" they must do an effort to understand what they are talking about.

This is bad journalism! We use cryptography, but that is NOT the same as encryption. Theverge probably have always dealt on the topic of cryptography with ignorance, they are not a tech magazine, are they?

There may still be hope for the 1st decentralized cryptocurrency which is Bitcoin. How to approach different subjects is key to progress.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:36:35 PM

There's no damn encryption used in Bitcoin.

You are correct when referring to the Bitcoin protocol (which was the context of that excerpt).

But just to clarify your statement, in the Biticoin-Qt/blitcoind client (and most others) there is encryption.  For example:
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet_encryption

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:48:44 PM

Signing is a subset of encryption, so it's not correct to say that no encryption is used in the protocol.
streblo

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:54:10 PM

Signing is a subset of encryption, so it's not correct to say that no encryption is used in the protocol.
Is it not fair to say that signing is a subset of cryptography, just like encryption is a subset of cryptography? Wikipedia says (to me) that signing is not encryption: "In cryptography, encryption is the process of encoding messages (or information) in such a way that eavesdroppers or hackers cannot read it, but that authorized parties can." Encryption, per se, seems to be the opposite of how the blockchain works (everybody sees every transaction).
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:03:21 PM

Is it not fair to say that signing is a subset of cryptography, just like encryption is a subset of cryptography? Wikipedia says (to me) that signing is not encryption: "In cryptography, encryption is the process of encoding messages (or information) in such a way that eavesdroppers or hackers cannot read it, but that authorized parties can." Encryption, per se, seems to be the opposite of how the blockchain works (everybody sees every transaction).

Last time I checked. It is pretty hard to verify a message without the public key. Sounds like an authorized party to me. IMO

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:07:19 PM

That is not a good definition, encryption is basically just a mathematical function that takes plaintext and a key as inputs. With public key cryptography you have two keys and what one key encrypts the other key decrypts.

What we call encryption means using a public key to convert a message to cyphertext. Signing is the exact same mathematical function, except the private key is used and the data which is encrypted is the hash of a message instead of the message itself.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: