Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:05:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why isn't bitcointalk.org neutral?  (Read 2578 times)
unindentified

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 25, 2016, 05:33:44 PM

This forum is owned by humans. Humans have points of view. Sticking to Core is their point of view. Nothing's neutral.

Hmmm, nice definition. I will rephrase:

1. Private forum without any rules
2. Person who does not wish to be publicly know, but he is
3. Person who controls bitcoin community is the same as in point 2.
4. Same person tried everything to discredit mentioned projects and to harm them.
5. Community is very centralized
6. Bitcoin community is very centralized, especially after cases like bitcoin classic.
7. Oh yes, this forum would like to centralize bitcoin, community should help.
8. Outside of dev threads on this forum, it is junk

No, humans have wishes and goals. Having point of view would mean they would share theirs and listen to other humans. This is not happening. I guess, greedy humans without any moral would be more appropriate.

@
Michael M.
Thanks for the spell checker on this forum, took you long to implement it

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
zimmah (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 09:14:48 PM

What matters are the consensus rules. To be Bitcoin, you must use the exact same consensus rules. XT, Classic, and BU do not use the exact some consensus rules. They have different consensus rules for a hard fork when certain bits in the version are set and a certain threshold is reached. Those are not the exact same consensus rules as defined by the reference implementation, thus they are an altcoin. It does not matter that they are compatible with Bitcoin, they are, by definition, not Bitcoin.

Don't forget, every soft fork changes the consensus rules. For instance we could soft fork to make the max block size 500kb. We can soft fork, to make it impossible for un upgraded nodes to validate transactions but have them still think they are valid.

exactly, Core is doing softforks only, but by doing so, they are the ones who make the change.

In a hardfork, you are least allow the nodes to vote.

A hardfork is better for the freedom and decentralization because it allows people to choice which fork to support.

A softfork does not allow that choice.

And yet, Core has made people believe a hard fork is evil and a soft fork is the way to go.

This forum is owned by humans. Humans have points of view. Sticking to Core is their point of view. Nothing's neutral.

Being the biggest forum they have a responsibility to stay as neutral as possible to keep bitcoin decentralized. And the only way to keep it decentralized is by having the discussion be neutral.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 10:58:39 PM

Why only have the link to bitcoin core at the top, and not classic, unlimited and XT as well?
Because those are altcoins, and this forum is called Bitcoin Talk.

Thanks for the informative reply. I wasn't aware that other Bitcoins were altcoins. Call me an idiot if you will, but would you be so kind as to point out here - https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/ - which coins are Bitcoin altcoins so that I can see their respective exchange rates? I'm sure they're listed because they have the venerable RateCoin listed, but I being the idiot that I am have failed miserably in finding just one Bitcoin altcoin, let alone the rest of them.

Thank you in advance.

~ BitcoinTalk's Number One Idiot
eshaal.khan

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 04:49:38 PM

Why only have the link to bitcoin core at the top, and not classic, unlimited and XT as well?

Can you tell me what is altcoins , please give me brief explanation about it and how we use it?
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 1968

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 04:53:35 PM

Can you tell me what is altcoins , please give me brief explanation about it and how we use it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gfntBEI3Aw

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
jstern

Activity: 368
Merit: 252

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 09:26:03 PM

Didn't the creator of Bitcointalk create Bitcoin. Then yeah, it makes sense for them to promote the latest version of Bitcoin, since they are promoting their own work.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 02:08:29 AM
Last edit: October 01, 2016, 04:50:01 AM by AgentofCoin

What matters are the consensus rules. To be Bitcoin, you must use the exact same consensus rules. XT, Classic, and BU do not use the exact some consensus rules. They have different consensus rules for a hard fork when certain bits in the version are set and a certain threshold is reached. Those are not the exact same consensus rules as defined by the reference implementation, thus they are an altcoin. It does not matter that they are compatible with Bitcoin, they are, by definition, not Bitcoin.
Don't forget, every soft fork changes the consensus rules. For instance we could soft fork to make the max block size 500kb. We can soft fork, to make it impossible for un upgraded nodes to validate transactions but have them still think they are valid.
exactly, Core is doing softforks only, but by doing so, they are the ones who make the change.

In a hardfork, you are least allow the nodes to vote.

A hardfork is better for the freedom and decentralization because it allows people to choice which fork to support.

A softfork does not allow that choice.

And yet, Core has made people believe a hard fork is evil and a soft fork is the way to go.

Bitcoin has never intentionally hardforked for a manner you describe.
If a hardfork is performed in the future, it will need preferably over 95% support.
A hardfork with a lower support threshold is a malicious hardfork.

Hardforks with two surviving chains are not a type of voting mechanism.
What you are describing is called a failure of consensus.

You are basically advocating a divide & conquer mentality, cloaked as democracy.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 02:45:31 AM

Didn't the creator of Bitcointalk create Bitcoin. Then yeah, it makes sense for them to promote the latest version of Bitcoin, since they are promoting their own work.

Satoshi did create bitcointalk. However, since his view on the blocksize debate is not known, we do not know which version of Bitcoin he will support.

The forum was started in 2009 by Satoshi Nakamoto, the original creator of Bitcoin. It is now managed by theymos, BadBear, and a dedicated team of moderators. Forum finances are managed by theymos.
Source: https://bitcointalk.org/donate.html

PS - Maybe it is time to include Cyrus on that page.  Smiley

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2016, 06:05:30 AM

Simple: Any coin or chain that is not Bitcoin. That said, your question is off-topic.

Hardforks with two surviving chains are not a type of voting mechanism. What you are describing is called a failure of consensus.
I have to agree with this, and this is one of the primary reasons for which such "implementations" shouldn't be promoted. AFAIK Bitcoin.com has BU as their "featured wallet", so they shouldn't be complaining that BTCT primarily has Core (hypocrisy?).

PS - Maybe it is time to include Cyrus on that page.  Smiley
Good catch, time to ping theymos!

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2016, 12:15:08 PM
Last edit: October 01, 2016, 02:18:09 PM by minifrij

Thanks for the informative reply. I wasn't aware that other Bitcoins were altcoins. Call me an idiot if you will, but would you be so kind as to point out here - https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/ - which coins are Bitcoin altcoins so that I can see their respective exchange rates?
XT and Core aren't altcoins like DOGE and LTC, however they still fall under the same definition. XT and Unlimited use different rules to Core which would eventually make one incompatible with the other, therefore they are alternate versions that couldn't work together - alt coins.

While Satoshi did make Bitcointalk, that isn't the case currently. theymos is currently the main admin, and since it is a private forum, the version of Bitcoin that he wants to promote will be promoted. Any versions that he doesn't want to promote, he won't.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: