Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 06:26:48 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: offline wallet security/accident-prevention doublecheck  (Read 661 times)
omnibusinc (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 07:52:46 PM

I want to move my BTC to an offline-only brainwallet, but before I do, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything, as I have recently heard some horror stories about people losing their BTC.
Here is the process I plan to use to execute transactions

Offline brainwallet address (obviously fake): aaaa01
aaaa01 balance: 10BTC

1. copypaste receiver address and transaction history of aaaa01 (from blockexplorer.com/q/mytransactions/aaaa01) onto usb stick from online machine.
2. plug usb stick into offline-only machine, and pull up the offline copy of StrongCoin's offlineTransaction.html page, pasting in aaaa01's transaction history and its private key (generated via offline copy of bitaddress.org where I enter my passphrase), and supplying the receiver's address, amount to send (say, 5BTC), and miner's fee.
3. Copypaste transaction from StrongCoin onto the usb stick, and move it back over to the online machine.
4. paste the transaction into http://blockchain.info/pushtx
5. Transaction gets confirmed

My concern is that I have heard people say that they have lost coins in situations like this, because when they send the transaction, the entire balance of their offline wallet is sent in the transaction, the receiver gets the amount that they are supposed to, and the remainder is either sent to a change address that they may not know, or is treated as a miner's fee.

If I execute transactions following the above method, should only the funds that I specify be sent to the receiver, and the rest kept in my original brainwallet?

Any suggestions for altering the process I'm considering are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
omnibusinc (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:26:56 AM

bump
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4759

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:04:22 AM

I just use Armory so I don't have to worry about things like this.

+1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: