Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 02:51:49 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EasyLTC--The Easiest Litecoin GUIMiner!  (Read 45335 times)
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1713
Merit: 1029

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 08:05:21 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 04:09:48 AM by Vorksholk

With the release of ASICs litecoin has a huge opportunity to grab up tons more hashing power, but may do so only if we make conversion as painless as possible. Therefore, I give you this. Smiley

New version calls home for statistical collection, the only info sent is the GPU you entered, trying to make sure people are entering the correct GPU names. I will update the source code download in the morning to reflect this! Smiley

Compiled Binaries (what you want if you aren't sure what you want): Compiled Binary
Source code: Source Code

This program also works on Novacoin (NVC) pools. Mine Litecoin though. Wink

Reliability: I have had it had this program running (2 instances, as I have two working cards) for over 2 hours so far, no problems. Will update as time goes by. Smiley

Hello! This weekend I decided to invest a bit of time and make a GUIMiner for Litecoin. Here are some screenshots to kick it off:

Tired of finding out GPU Concurrency information, or struggling to get cgminer to point to the right place, or don't even know what Thread Concurrency or shaders are? Maybe you just want to mine with your NVidia card. All you have to know is what GPU you have.

The GUIWrapper itself is written in Java, but as it relies on the core of a windows-compiled .exe binary of reaper, it will only mine on Windows.
Downloads are at the end of the post, for both source code and a compiled version. Remember, it is always good practice to decompile any random programs you get from the internet (though I promise I am doing nothing malicious), or even better: compile from source!

Planned Features:
-Multiple mining support in one window (optional)
-Miner will run a "server" and you will be able to control miners remotely: You could have 8 rigs all running this software and then your laptop could connect to them and control their settings and view their stats, or you could port-forward each one out of your network and manage them from school/work.
-Custom intensity, worksize, etc. settings for more advanced users
-NVidia lookup tables
-Cleaner interface
-Restart-on-crash, improvements for reliability
-Anonymous, optional statistical data (where on my website I would have a counter that shows the current hashrate ran by my program)
-Integration with large pools (and small pools, if you guys are interested) (Basically, I would make a special version for pools that are interested, and it would have all their settings and API pull data hard-coded in)
-Optional console output area (maybe replace the hashrate+meter area with a console when a box is checked?)

FAQ:

1.) How do I use it?
Simply download the program, and extract MinerGUI.zip to a folder. Then enter the folder MinerGUI that it extracts to, and double-click on Miner.GUI.exe.

2.) It's made in java, why am I opening a .exe?
You will notice that the .exe is the only file that appears in the folder (unless you have "Show hidden folders" enabled in Folder Options). The .exe serves two main purposes: Show it is a Windows-only program, and allow custom icons. If you show hidden folders you can run the LitecoinGUIMiner.jar instead if you prefer.

3.) It asks for a pool url and a port, where do I get those?
Simply go to any of the pools (litecoinpool.org, pool-x.eu, etc.) and sign up for an account. Under a place like "Help" should be all of this information.

4.) What all does the program do?
To get slightly technical, the Java program acts as a wrapper for reaper as well as GUI frontend to control an object which in turn holds a process object of the reaper session. AKA it mines. The wrapper itself doesn't do ANY network communication currently (may implement a feature in the future where it will send back statistical data about your current hashrate, and then display the total hash rate held by all instances of this program, but not today . . . )

5.) How do I mine with multiple GPUs, or dual-GPU cards?
You can mine with multiple GPUs or dual-GPU cards by launching the program multiple times. This is for two reasons: higher reliability (each process doesn't depend on a central process working correctly), and it was easier to implement. When it asks for the device number, just make sure to put device number 0 for the first card, 1 for the second (or second on-board card in a 5970, 6990, or 7990), etc.

6.) Can it mine with 7970s?
I wish I knew. It has the settings correct (I think), however I only have a 5970 and a 5850 to mine on, so I haven't been able to test the very fickle 79xx series Sad.

7.) Is it free?
Yes, like pretty much all other mining programs, it is free for your use. As well, you are free to recompile, change, and distribute it. I made it because I have a large investment in Litecoins and I would love to see them succeed both because I am heavily invested and because the currency in itself is a good idea. As well, I love free stuff.

8.) How reliable is it?
I have not done extensive testing, however it ran awesome in my limited tests.

9.) I found a bug! Where do I report it? Do you have a github?
I don't currently have a github or gist of this, simply post the bug below. If you propose a fix, please post that too, and I'll implement it (if it works). Smiley

10.) Eww why reaper?
I chose reaper as it was easier to wrap and parse its output, and I wanted to include support for NVidia cards.

11.) Can I mine with my NVidia card?
Yes! The program asks you for what card you have, so if you have a ATi5970, you would enter "5970". However, if you have a NVidia, just enter the thread concurrency you want to use instead of the GPU name. For example, if I was mining with a 560Ti, I might put in 6144 for the name, as since it can't find an ATI6144 it will just run with 6144 thread concurrency.

12.) Can I specify thread concurrency?
As explained above, if you want to do a custom number for thread concurrency, just enter that thread concurrency when it asks for the GPU name. For example, if I have a 5970 but I want to mine with 12288 Thread Conc, I would just enter 12288. Since the program can't find a card named 12288 in its lookup table, it defaults to using that for its Thread Concurrency.

13.) I looked through your code, and it's very messy, why?
I threw this together and there are parts of un-implemented features in the code that will be used later.

14.) Do you plan on integrating this into any pools?
If any pool owners want to get in contact with me about implementing this into your pool (aka have the host and port hard-coded in and pull API data to display alongside hashrate) I'm open to it. However, currently there is NO pool integration setup.

15.) Can I use this in a commercial environment?  
The nature of mining itself lends to a commercial setup. As well, this program is published under the creative commons license allowing redistribution (with or without changes) as long as derivative works are published under the same licensing. It also allows you to use the program for commercial profit. That being said, if you own a large farm you likely know what you are doing with more powerful miners without GUI frontends (such as cgminer), and wouldn't want to add another possible point of failure to your network.

16.) How much overhead does this use?
The wrapper uses very little overhead, and speeds are very similar to mining using only the commandline-based program. On my 5850, I usually get 310-312 kH/s on cgminer, with my wrapper I average 310kH/s, after it's had its warmup period (runs around 300 for 7 minutes then goes up to 310).

Video:
YouTube Video

More screenshots:

Downloads:
Compiled Binaries (what you want if you aren't sure what you want): Compiled Binary
Source code: Source Code

Extra: If one reputable (>1000 post) member who knows Java would decompile the compiled binary and confirm that it's safe to use, I'll send them 25LTC.

VeriBlock: Securing The World's Blockchains Using Bitcoin
https://veriblock.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 08:06:54 PM
Last edit: October 20, 2013, 11:52:31 PM by Vorksholk

<Reserved>.

cdog

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:18:39 PM

Cool, I will try it out and report back later. Looks promising.

TacoTime does some great work but this could make for a nice alternative.
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 10:24:34 PM

Great. More miners will - in the end - boost LTC.

Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 10:37:59 PM

Cool, I will try it out and report back later. Looks promising.

TacoTime does some great work but this could make for a nice alternative.

Yeah TacoTime's GUI is a bit less user-friendly but still a great option for mining, since it handles both cgminer and reaper.

elvisrene

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 11:09:00 PM

did everything program did not open
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2013, 11:12:36 PM
Last edit: April 01, 2013, 12:01:18 AM by Vorksholk

Are you on Windows with java and video card drivers installed?
Edit: check out the video I put up.
did everything program did not open

allthingsluxury
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 12:08:18 AM

Nice, good job.

Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 02:02:16 AM

Ran two GPUs for more than 4 hours solid on this program now.

kmsalex

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

Learn as you go...

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 02:20:02 AM

Considering its using java..... is it crazy to expect a Linux version anytime soon?
Will give it a show with wine later on.
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 02:42:21 AM

I may do a linux version soon, the only obstacle is having the program compile the reaper source code into linux binaries . . . Do you have knowledge on this you would be willing to share? Smiley

Considering its using java..... is it crazy to expect a Linux version anytime soon?
Will give it a show with wine later on.

LewiesMan

Activity: 384
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 05:44:28 AM

Great Tool! Will Surely Use It. Keep Up The Good Work!
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 01:11:07 PM

Great Tool! Will Surely Use It. Keep Up The Good Work!

Thanks!

bootlace

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

Justice as a Service Infrastructure

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:29:33 PM

I have a Geforce GTX570 how do I know what the Thread Concurrency is? I put 6144 after seeing you recommend that for the NVIDIA 560 TI, but that didn't work.

J U R      |      The Justice as a Service Infrastructure      |      JUR ALLIANCE                      ═════════════════
      SMART LEGAL AGREEMENT.  ESCROW.  DECENTRALIZED DISPUTE RESOLUTION.        ║  JOIN JUR PRESALE  ║     
 ●         WHITEPAPER         TECH PAPER         GITHUB         MEDIUM         TELEGRAM                 ═════════════════
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 09:53:28 PM

I have a Geforce GTX570 how do I know what the Thread Concurrency is? I put 6144 after seeing you recommend that for the NVIDIA 560 TI, but that didn't work.

I'm sorry, I have no idea Sad Try multiples of the number of shaders of the 570 Smiley

Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 09:55:56 PM

Updated program, added a very simple callhome feature that just sends my server what you entered for the card name. I'm collecting data to see what mistakes people are making with the card name they entered, and I will create a guide that shows people the common mistakes to avoid. The callhome feature doesn't send any more information than that, and runs when you start the program up.

I plan to add a better call-home feature in the future that will aggregate data from anyone who lets the program collect anonymous data (it will be a check box) that will send stuff like the hashrate so we can make some cool graphs and see the impact of this program on the network, but miners will be able to opt out of sending this data. Smiley

Neoresolution

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 10:07:33 PM

Doesn't load at all for me. I got Win7 with Java 7.17. At first nothing would happen, now I get an error: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" pointing to -> C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Temp\74D3.tmp\batfile.bat

Then i see b2e.exe running in my task manager till I force it closed, but no gui or applet.
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:11:54 PM

So this will detect and config up to how many gpus ?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Vorksholk (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 10:18:08 PM

It doesn't actually detect the GPU, it requires you to input the name of the GPU (5970, 6950 . . . ). If you have multiple GPUs, you can just launch multiple instances of the program. You need to know what device you have in which device order if your GPUs are different types. If all of your GPUs are the same type, it's real easy, just gotta increment the device number each time. Smiley

jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:36:47 PM

It doesn't actually detect the GPU, it requires you to input the name of the GPU (5970, 6950 . . . ). If you have multiple GPUs, you can just launch multiple instances of the program. You need to know what device you have in which device order if your GPUs are different types. If all of your GPUs are the same type, it's real easy, just gotta increment the device number each time. Smiley

Could you add a button that creates a collapsible screen instead of opening the program multiple times? And then possibly have it write the config so it can be put into a batch for auto startup?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: