Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:08:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Ratio Not consistent between coins  (Read 534 times)
kentoshi (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 25, 2016, 06:53:38 PM

I've been trying to figure it out. Google search for hours, but I can not find the answer.

When I GPU mine, my hash rates go from 400/hs to 2000/hs, depending on the coin. What determines this? Is there a calculation I can make per coin to predict what I get?

For then now the only thing I can do is actually start mining to find out the h/s.

Also, if I point a BTC miner to PPC, do I get the same h/s. So if an antminer is rate at 1/ghs for BTC, do I get the same for PPC?

Thanks in advance.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2016, 06:59:43 PM

I've been trying to figure it out. Google search for hours, but I can not find the answer.

When I GPU mine, my hash rates go from 400/hs to 2000/hs, depending on the coin. What determines this? Is there a calculation I can make per coin to predict what I get?

For then now the only thing I can do is actually start mining to find out the h/s.

Also, if I point a BTC miner to PPC, do I get the same h/s. So if an antminer is rate at 1/ghs for BTC, do I get the same for PPC?

Thanks in advance.

When you GPU mine, the hashrate is determined by the algorithm the coin uses for PoW. Monero hashrates are usually in H/s (a few hundreds) and Ethereum hashrates are usually in MH/s (millions of hashes a second), while bitcoin hashrates are usually in GH/s or TH/s.
A bitcoin miner (ASIC) can ONLY mine SHA256D coins. meaning the hashrate will be the exact same on all coins using SHA256D as the algorithm for POW. PPC (I assume it's Peercoin) is POS, meaning you cannot mine it, but only stake by buying the coins and keeping them in your wallet.
kentoshi (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2016, 07:33:43 PM

Thanks a lot man!

Do you know how I would calculate how effective my GPU would be for different scrypt coins?

Is there a calculation with difficulty?
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
September 25, 2016, 07:37:52 PM

Thanks a lot man!

Do you know how I would calculate how effective my GPU would be for different scrypt coins?

Scrypt? it's not profitable on GPUs for a long time already. the only coins worth mining on a GPU now are Ethereum and Monero.
Just Google "$coin mining calculator" and type your hashrate there, those sites make all the necessary calculations and give you the estimated profit for your GPU.
If you are looking for the hashrate on a particular card lookup the card on the web, something like "290X ethereum hashrate" would give you good results, you can start a miner and see the hashrate yourself.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 25, 2016, 07:42:13 PM

Thanks a lot man!

Go to http://www.whattomine.com/coins

There you can enter in your GPU's hashrate on various algorithms (coins) as well as your card's power usage and your electricity rate to get a ballpark figure of where you would end up with different coins.
kentoshi (OP)

View Profile
September 25, 2016, 10:04:30 PM

Thanks a lot man!

There you can enter in your GPU's hashrate on various algorithms (coins) as well as your card's power usage and your electricity rate to get a ballpark figure of where you would end up with different coins.

That's exactly one of my questions...

So on scrypt, my hashrate will be the same across all coins?

On X11, my hashrate will be the same across all coins?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 25, 2016, 11:00:24 PM

Your card should have the same hashrate on any coin that uses the same algorytm (like scrypt, X11, sha256, etc).

With a GPU though don't even bother looking at any SHA256 (Bitcoin/etc), Scrypt (Litecoin, Doge, etc) or X11 (DASH, etc) coin as all of those algorytms have ASIC miners aroudn in large numbers that blow away ANY GPU so badly the GPU just loses money.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
September 26, 2016, 08:50:28 AM

Thanks a lot man!

That's exactly one of my questions...

So on scrypt, my hashrate will be the same across all coins?

On X11, my hashrate will be the same across all coins?

Yes, each coin that falls under a single algorithm would have pretty much the same hash-rate across all the coins using it. So for instance Ethereum (ETH), Ethereum Classic (ETC), Expanse (EXP) using Ethash would all use the same hash-rate figure. Where it gets tricky is they all have vastly different "Network" hashrates, so the actual amount of coins you will produce will vary. This is why the comparison sites like What-to-mine work so well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: