Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 08:29:47 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many Bitcoin Users?  (Read 567 times)
AgeraS (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:48:47 PM

I already know about bitcoincharts and the stats at blockchain.info but...
Are there any stats on how many people are actually using bitcoins?
In other words, how many people total have bought bitcoins?

Gimpeline

Activity: 555
Merit: 507

View Profile
March 31, 2013, 09:55:05 PM

Don't think there is any way to know how many.
I guess it could be possible to somehow find out how many wallets have been created, but one person can have more than one.

RobbieClarken

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 02:11:29 AM

I wonder if we could come up with a sort of Drake equation to estimate it. I suspect there are too many unknowns but perhaps the median of estimates from a number of sources (wallets, exchange accounts, forum subscribers, ...) could give order-of-magnitude precision.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4759

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 02:35:27 AM

I wonder if we could come up with a sort of Drake equation to estimate it. I suspect there are too many unknowns but perhaps the median of estimates from a number of sources (wallets, exchange accounts, forum subscribers, ...) could give order-of-magnitude precision.

You could come up with an upper bound, but it would be difficult to determine how far lower than that bound the real number falls.

For an absolute upper bound, you could start by counting the number of unique addresses that currently have unspent outputs associated with them.  The maximum of individual entities that have complete control over any amount of bitcoin can't be any higher than that.

From there you'd have to start making some assumptions about how many addresses each unique entity controls.  Some are publicized (such as satoshi dice), others could possibly be inferred by linking addresses that show up together signing inputs to a single transaction (especially if they show up together signing inputs in multiple transactions).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: