Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 04:05:12 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [2016-09-26] Gavin Andressen: Ethereum to replace bitcoin  (Read 1734 times)
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 12:13:15 PM

Don't forget that the whole ethereum network was nearly taken down by a single bit of code.

During their big hype-conference in China, no less. Something like 85% of the mining nodes dropped off the network. Is that something you want to jump into?

I sure as hell don't. But as others have mentioned, there are other fundamental problems with ETH besides their mining nodes.

I think Vitalik is your classic young programmer -- he thinks the world can be solved with code.

What he's missing is the real-world elements of greed and corruption will doom his idealistic frameworks. After all, the big ETH heist was a legal bit of code that someone unethically decided to run. Vitalik doesn't understand that, or he comes to that conclusion way after the thieves have plundered the bank.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2016, 01:50:00 PM

I don't know the impact of number of nodes on a network, but if Gavin based is opinion on Ethereum having more nodes than Bitcoin I don't think the fundamentals is solid enough, unless it is a personal attack on the Bitcoin core developers for dethroning and reducing his influence

first of all ethereum does not have enough full nodes and everybody is using online wallets and exchanges to keep their coins an other methods nobody is contributing to the network and that is your answer about the impact of number of nodes. if there were lots of nodes like what bitcoin has they couldn't have hard forked the coin this easily just the same way they can not fork bitcoin easily.

I don't know the impact of number of nodes on a network, but if Gavin based is opinion on Ethereum having more nodes than Bitcoin I don't think the fundamentals is solid enough, unless it is a personal attack on the Bitcoin core developers for dethroning and reducing his influence

It's purely because it's mined with GPUs. If it was still possible to mine Bitcoin with them there'd be thousands more Bitcoin nodes than there are these days.

i doubt that even miners are running full node.
most of them are doing pool mining and receiving their payment in their exchange address and dump just as fast.

--looking for signature--
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4368
Merit: 3656

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 02:48:42 PM

most of them are doing pool mining and receiving their payment in their exchange address and dump just as fast.
i used to mine to an exchange but now run mist and use it to receive eth from mining. not running it full time but once every few days i will run it just till it syncs and i can see my payments, then its shut down. so much for being a node, even a chintzy one, full time, not worth it.

i do this mainly so i can have a minimum amount of eth for the long term and the lulz, the rest i sell as soon as i mine em. probably 1/4 i keep and 3/4 i sell.

bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1454

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 05:43:15 PM

Gavin believes a lot of things.

He believed a con-man was satoshi.

He believed that Mike Hearn was a trustworthy contributor.

And now he believes some garbage about Ethereum.

I'll give him A's for being consistent, at least.... what a joke.

Gavin is loosing it. He is too emotionally attached in bringing bitcoin core down and that is affecting his judgement. He is now being viewed by the community and his peers as a joke and his real motive is now showing.

i seriously doubt these two.
especially about him backing ethereum. my guess is that he was paid to say these things and support Ethereum and we know that ethereum foundation does anything to pump the price and they have nearly unlimited funds to do that from all the pump and dumps they have done from the start with all their premined coins.

That is more doubtful. Maybe he was accumulating ETH and now he feels his wallet amount is good enough so now he thinks he can start to hype the coin. I also doubt the Ethereum foundation has "nearly unlimited funds".

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
September 28, 2016, 06:31:09 PM

Gavin believes a lot of things.

He believed a con-man was satoshi.

He believed that Mike Hearn was a trustworthy contributor.

And now he believes some garbage about Ethereum.

I'll give him A's for being consistent, at least.... what a joke.

Gavin Andresen is a troll and a sellout, he will defend whatever is putting money on his pocket. The Ethereum Foundation, as the disgusting piece of shit mafie that it is, pays a lot of "bitcoin celebrities" to FUD Bitcoin and shill Ethereum.

At the end of the day, Ethereum is a mess and Bitcoin remains the solid number 1.
bbc.reporter
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1454

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 02:39:05 AM

@thejaytiesto. Even Nick Szabo? I believe he switched his support to Ethereum classic after the hard fork. He expressed hos support thru a subtle tweet. Then I just read that he is on the advisory board of Lykke. That project will be built on Ethereum I believe. So maybe he did not really severe his ties with Ethereum?

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 03:33:40 AM

first of all ethereum does not have enough full nodes and everybody is using online wallets and exchanges to keep their coins an other methods nobody is contributing to the network and that is your answer about the impact of number of nodes. if there were lots of nodes like what bitcoin has they couldn't have hard forked the coin this easily just the same way they can not fork bitcoin easily.

It's purely because it's mined with GPUs. If it was still possible to mine Bitcoin with them there'd be thousands more Bitcoin nodes than there are these days.

Freaking Ethereum Wallet is still not stable after 20-30 releases...
In the last 2 weeks I had to delete/download the blockchain twice...
The chain got corrupted (a) standard Win7 memory maxed out and (b) standard Win7 power outage.

Ethereum Wallet is just not ready for prime time and ordinary users...
I've spent so much time fucking around with various ETH wallets in the past year that it's a joke....
Only the 1000% gains have made it worthwhile.

But still, if just one of their cool vapor-apps takes off... look out...
It's got the only cultish ecosystem to rival Bitcoin's...
And probably leads Bitcoin in terms of Devs on board...
(Ethereum + Solidity is a perfect combination for undergraduate college courses in blockchain or hackathons).
RoommateAgreement

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

Bazinga!

View Profile
September 29, 2016, 04:03:35 AM

screw that guy.
i don't think anybody cares about that he says and does anymore. he has made a lot of mistakes in the past with his classic, xt and finally satoshi scandal.

Freaking Ethereum Wallet is still not stable after 20-30 releases...
In the last 2 weeks I had to delete/download the blockchain twice...
The chain got corrupted (a) standard Win7 memory maxed out and (b) standard Win7 power outage.

this what we call crappy code.
ETH is only good to make profit from trading it. that is all its good for!

Buying the dip...
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: