Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:25:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] PEEPCOIN / PCN: CLASSIC COMMUNITY, SINCE 2016  (Read 46129 times)
circlenick

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 02:43:50 AM

Disclaimer: I want to start by saying that you should probably buy DAPS because you're going to make a lot of money off of ignorant people that will FOMO just because CoinMarketCap shows green numbers next to the coin. Need proof? Look at the DAPS discord where everyone is having orgasms over the increase in price despite the fact that it has extremely low volume, and thus, is being manipulated by few players. People don't pay attention to these things, they just see green and buy. For this reason, buy cheap and take profits from the ignorants. Also, I'm not a financial advisor, so there's that.

Now, with that disclaimer out of the way...

Let me get this straight, you're premining 50 billion coins initially, keeping 1 billion coins upfront, and then collecting 5% reward per 1 minute block time? You've taken premining scams to a whole 'nother level.

The roadmap is honestly a pathetic attempt at trying to look like you guys have any clue as to what you're doing. It's supposed to take an entire year to roll the coin out, create a website, swap everyone's coins, advertise, and list it on exchanges? Really? And for that you get a massive premine and infinite block rewards? According to the DAPS twitter, some type of website is supposed to be released this week, so there goes some items off Q2. What a joke.

You guys are literally winging it as you go with some grandiose mixture of ideas that don't even go with each other. You're trying to be a privacy coin, but also a masternode coin, and somehow a charity coin, and on top of that some type of payment network? Can you make up your mind, or is this all part of the overall scam?

Michael Larry, a.k.a bitcoinbabys, advertised the DAPS project as some type of company, where's he's the CEO. That's interesting, because he's also the person running StrongHands, another scam coin that has recently gone into a bit of a funk after some people called him out on the StrongHands reddit. I message'd those people on reddit based on their claims, and they said they have already placed an inquiry with the CFTC, so good luck with that if they end up getting to it after all of the ICOs that they're cracking down on. In the meantime, there's a lot of scam money to be made, so I'm sure you guys will relish that opportunity.

Peepcoin-DAPS is a community ran project. Bitcoinbabys is the leader of the community as selected by the group, and there is no "head leader" of Peepcoin or DAPS. I would be referred to as the coordinator of many aspects of this project, as I saw the idea for DAPS from their discussions at the beginning and turned it into a true project with the ability to actually happen. I make my role in that clear, in my personal disclaimer on the transition thread. We are working to turn this into a professional project and I appreciate your interest in protecting the investors and community of both past Peepcoin investors and future DAPS community members, so there are alot of aspects that are being worked on to make this into a truly sustainable project long term.

We are rolling out an initiative called DAPSCORE with the website release. This is inspired directly by the structure of Bitbean's BEANCORE program, which I believe was integral to the quality and pool of people they had consistently for years working on their project, as a team. This DAPSCORE program is up to the decision of the community first and foremost. What will this mean for us? That there will be a "structure" setup for this coin and that it's known nobody is "the" leader of this project, or organization therein. We're a defacto volunteer operation and I have tried to shift the branding to match that (no CEO titles, etc). If you'd like to envision more about how this future structure of community-ran governance will look like, I suggest you read this http://www.bitbean.org/beancore.html as it will give you a relatively good idea of what we want to emulate with it.

I believe long term that helping people should be our goal, even if it's a privacy coin, there can still be an organization of volunteers who work with and for charities and such. It's an idea in development, and I want to see it work. The work of actual code and technical progress can be handled by DAPS Core team, while the DAPS Foundation can handle aspects such as checking on airdrop participants, ensuring that people who swap are taken care of properly if anything happens, outreach, and any number of tasks. Do you think it's a bad idea? Please tell me why. I think that having a foundation setup shows that we're not here to enrich ourselves long term. It also dovetails into the long term airdrop management. If you have better ideas tell me, I just don't think people will want us to stay private and the team who brought it up to stay in the shadows forever.

On top of that, we have secured many very good coders to our project, and we have two groups. One is working on the wallet upgrades in a unified trunk for Peepcoin, as DAPS is being worked on currently. It will be a very ambitious project in terms of chain features and community organization, but I believe we have alot of the critical parts in place for that to work including a highly motivated core of community with various talents that are offering, with more showing up by the day. I make it clear this is everyone's project, not mine, yours , or anyone's. I believe that your fears over this issue will be gone when you see us upgrading the wallets and releasing, but I don't have a timeline for that. Probably about 4 weeks.

And on the idea of the premine or terminology of it, that's something that we're not decided yet. For bitcore, it was a full 100% premine, yes, and the coins can in theory still be used by the devs to dump. What I envision is an automated method that does not allow any developer or otherwise interaction with said swap fund.

What I will not allow, is the coin 'premine' (mostly just a virtual fork of the Peepcoin supply, technically), which will be a 1:1 mirror of the current Peepcoin supply at the moment it launches, to be used for ANYTHING BUT swapping, and then when the period is over, a burn, a hard snapshot, something. This is an idea that is still being worked on right now. The implementation of the swap itself is the most important part for the exact reason you stated: it looks like a premine, because it "is", even if it won't be in the control of the people who actually run the genesis block. The only coins in the developer fund will be the 1 billion. That's it. The other will be secured in a way that ensures no outside interaction is possible outside of swapping coins. I promise this with all my personal honor. I have never been in this industry to scam anyone, nor to let a project bleed and become irrelevant. I hope I can prove to you that we're sincere with my post here, but I just implore you to ask me more. We have the actual roadmap coming out this week with the website, a culmination of a lot of really hard thinking and decisions about long term health of coins. We will make sure that there is a trustless system to prove that this fund is not in any way ours or usable. I will ensure this, thanks to your concerns.

On the topic of the 5% founder fee, I do agree I wish it wasn't needed. But unfortunately in recent crypto era, development simply needs a war-chest to get listed on anything but the lowest-tier exchanges. And that is an unfortunate thing since I remember when it cost less than 2,000$ to list on cryptopia. I think it's a fair balance as the premine from the previous developer is being nullified and replaced with a development payment scheme that actually incentivizes long term value creation as opposed to dumping and running. I've been here a while, I know exactly what you're talking about man. I have helped mould this project into what could be an all-star idea by avoiding alot of the pitfalls previous coins in this area have made (development staking a premine, being a huge thing, that will not be done!)

What I hope is that this coin can show that no matter what community it is, that if you have an idea and work hard on it, that you can do it. If you have any concerns or want to nitpick this post go ahead, I'm being as honest with you as I can. I wouldn't stake my reputation on a project like this if I wasn't as sure as I am about it helping people. Please let me know if I actually helped your concerns or didn't.

I activated self moderating and a new thread at the request of the people who made the idea for DAPS so that we could address the issue of people exploiting such a transition to phish posting fake links, like happened here before. I hope that's reasonable.

Here's the problem, this bombastic idea that you're laying out is just a copy of PIVX and BitBean.

You're copying BitBean for DAPSCORE, and you're even copying BitBean's supply of 50 billion. You're copying PIVX for the zerocoin protocol, as well as the masternode and the see-saw mechanism. You didn't even create a brand new coin, but instead took PeepCoin to leverage its community and convert them over to your project. Just like StrongHands is a worse version of Peercoin, DAPS is gunning to be a worse version of PIVX and BitBean.

There's nothing original with what you're trying to do, and on top of that you've admitted what was already obvious from that lack-luster roadmap which is that barely anything has been concretely determined with DAPS yet. I would have been embarassed to even post that graphic as a roadmap, and you better bet that whitepaper of yours is going to be compared against the PIVX, Bitcoin, and other relevant whitepapers for plagiarism, since everything to this point appears to be stolen, from PeepCoin to all of the DAPS ideas.

You want to know how ridiculous that premine and 5% developer fee sound like? Bean Cash is selling for 1 cent a coin right now. If you had a billion Bean Cash you'd have over 10 million dollars; 5% block rewards net you over 27 million coins a year, or roughly $270,000/year.

Like I said, people will buy because they want money and they don't know any better, but you're doing a disservice by associating yourself with the same team that disgracefully took over StrongHands. You sound like a logical person, and no one on that StrongHands team could make half the post that you just made, so I'm assuming you aren't a part of that project.

People have created scam coins where the website itself admits to being a scam and people still buy the coin, so don't mistake that as some type of success, because people will buy anything in this market.

Also, bitcoinbabys has implied that DAPS is a company from the start, and he just might end up being your downfall: https://i.imgur.com/U9myi3G.png

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheKingInYellow

Activity: 546
Merit: 257

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 03:07:54 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2018, 03:54:45 AM by TheKingInYellow

Here's the problem, this bombastic idea that you're laying out is just a copy of PIVX and BitBean.

You're copying BitBean for DAPSCORE, and you're even copying BitBean's supply of 50 billion. You're copying PIVX for the zerocoin protocol, as well as the masternode and the see-saw mechanism. You didn't even create a brand new coin, but instead took PeepCoin to leverage its community and convert them over to your project. Just like StrongHands is a worse version of Peercoin, DAPS is gunning to be a worse version of PIVX and BitBean.

There's nothing original with what you're trying to do, and on top of that you've admitted what was already obvious from that lack-luster roadmap which is that barely anything has been concretely determined with DAPS yet. I would have been embarassed to even post that graphic as a roadmap, and you better bet that whitepaper of yours is going to be compared against the PIVX, Bitcoin, and other relevant whitepapers for plagiarism, since everything to this point appears to be stolen, from PeepCoin to all of the DAPS ideas.

You want to know how ridiculous that premine and 5% developer fee sound like? Bean Cash is selling for 1 cent a coin right now. If you had a billion Bean Cash you'd have over 10 million dollars; 5% block rewards net you over 27 million coins a year, or roughly $270,000/year.

Like I said, people will buy because they want money and they don't know any better, but you're doing a disservice by associating yourself with the same team that disgracefully took over StrongHands. You sound like a logical person, and no one on that StrongHands team could make half the post that you just made, so I'm assuming you aren't a part of that project.

People have created scam coins where the website itself admits to being a scam and people still buy the coin, so don't mistake that as some type of success, because people will buy anything in this market.

Also, bitcoinbabys has implied that DAPS is a company from the start, and he just might end up being your downfall:

It's not a copy! It's inspiration! It's about using good ideas that have been used before and implementing them in a new system. I admit that alot of the details aren't up to snuff with what we would consider the level of other teams, atleast not yet. That's what trying to get people to the project is about, to draw minds and create a culture that wants to deliver something with honesty at it's heart. Many things are up to modification because it hasn't been thought of in a way that I think gives the ideas a proper service. I think that open, honest, frank discussion is best for any coin and it's development. If you think things here need a shakeup let's do it, I'm all ears, I love the constructive criticism because it means that you care enough about communities to even mention it.

There is obviously no corporate structure in any way to any of the Peepcoin or DAPS development, it's open source, free and volunteer. I made it clear that changing that was important so as to not give that impression.

And you are correct in assuming that I am not a part of stronghands, I am not. Never was, never will be. I don't like coins with the massive supply it has, to be completely honest with you. I was originally interested in Peepcoin primarily because it has 50 billion coins. Then I learned it has a solid codebase, that being libzerocoin. I also learned along the way that the community is passionate, if not the most professional group of people. I think this is a sensible, real, progressive project that may help push the boundary on things and help spread outreach of cryptocurrency as a whole. You have to remember that all of what we do and will do is open source, free for anyone to partake in, and the licenses are all preserved as such. There is no copyright on the idea of blockchain protocols (atleast the ones we're using in these circles..), they invite people to use and modify them, and even build on it!

On the topic of Bitbean and the premine, etc, Bitbean has 2.5 billion coins, not 50 billion. They had an issue with the original developer scamming but he ended up not holding Beans by the end of the period when they truly took hold. That's a bit different with Peepcoin, as there is the "what if" of the old dev returning and using his wallet. The Fork-swap is a stopgap measure to try to make it even harder for him to destroy value if this project truly does have legs in the future. I don't know any other way to address it, but if you have ideas I'm once again willing to listen.

The maximum Peepcoin possibly that could swap is 50+ billion, as of right now. The "new" premine would be 1 billion, compared to current Peepcoin's 39 billion. It addresses a couple of things like the inflation and the chain being extremely bloated and also allowed to upgrade the whole system to a modern privacy system. The idea is to create value for Peepcoin holders longer term than what the original developer ever did here.

I dunno. Maybe I am a dreamer, too ambitious, and I see this as an honest project out of naivete. But I invite you to please give me more input. I enjoy it. I want to help these guys on the path to success, like other community-led revivals like PIE and Bitbean accomplished. A mind for criticism is a mind that I like. You can probably tell by a lot of my skeptical posts on this forum in the past of other similar projects like what I'm involved with here. I love this community and the idea of pushing the threshold for other coins.

Also if the dev fund was ever worth that much I would be surprised, honestly  Cheesy I plan to have no direct role in the actual DAPS Core or Foundation, if that assuages any fears you have of me being misguided in what I'm doing here. I am simply a large holder of Peepcoin who wants to see this coin evolve and thrive. I consider myself an adviser and a coordinator of some aspects like the fixing of the "corporate" image which was very obviously created with zeal in mind and thought second along with handling social media to make it all follow a set of guidelines so things aren't pumpy. This project isn't about that.

Also, I'm sorry I forgot to mention it in all of this, but the DAPS whitepaper (if you so wish to call it that, more of a "what we plan to try to implement" paper) will be available for peer review tonight. I want people to look at it and judge it on it's face. It's hard to find people in the know, so if you're an engineer or some sort of crypto-expert, contact me, I'll send it to you, you can laugh at me, it'll be a great time. We don't wanna put out the whitepaper without the website so I wanna let it get bounced off some minds before it's live.

I hope you have time to send me personal messages, because I think a lot about the problems that face a lot of the coins today.

DAPS Project, anonymizing assets for the world. Controlling your financial sovereignty is your right, join now!
DAPS (Decentralized - Anonymous - Payment - System)
Zero-Knowledge Proofs - Revolutionary Proof-Of-Audit algo - Masternodes - PoSv3 - Worldwide community
almightyruler (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1092

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 03:29:21 AM

[...]I think that open, honest, frank discussion is best for any coin and it's development. If you think things here need a shakeup let's do it, I'm all ears, I love the constructive criticism because it means that you care enough about communities to even mention it.

I find you speaking like this very disconcerting, because you seem to see-saw between rational discussion, and childish attacks on those who question your opinion. There's a lot more of the attacking in this thread.

Here's a capture of our very first conversation on Discord, where despite me trying to have a calm and rational discussion, you repeatedly belittled me with condescending, petty insults. You're eloquent, and obviously very intelligent, but the asshole level was way up this time. Certainly not the professional approach you would expect from someone involved with a coin team.

What did I ever do to you?

https://pastebin.com/Mu8U5Hf1
TheKingInYellow

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 03:35:58 AM
Last edit: March 21, 2018, 03:56:48 AM by TheKingInYellow

[...]I think that open, honest, frank discussion is best for any coin and it's development. If you think things here need a shakeup let's do it, I'm all ears, I love the constructive criticism because it means that you care enough about communities to even mention it.

I find you speaking like this very disconcerting, because you seem to see-saw between rational discussion, and childish attacks on those who question your opinion. There's a lot more of the attacking in this thread.

Here's a capture of our very first conversation on Discord, where despite me trying to have a calm and rational discussion, you repeatedly belittled me with condescending, petty insults. You're eloquent, and obviously very intelligent, but the asshole level was way up this time. Certainly not the professional approach you would expect from someone involved with a coin team.

What did I ever do to you?

https://pastebin.com/Mu8U5Hf1

You allowed attacks on my personal character without even bothering to challenge it. I find that disconcerting, as all I am trying to do is bring ideas to the table! You pretend as if updating the wallets and trying to have a fork-swap is going to destroy value for peepcoin as opposed to create it. It's obvious there's interest in the ideas that are floating about, so why not work with them? You simply have acted the way you do for so long that I find a malice in your actions. Am I wrong? Do I simply misunderstand your reasoning? Maybe I'm petty just for wanting you to apologize for allowing slander and libel on me directly to go unchallenged, since I care about this coin as much if not more than anyone else here.

Also, did you know the wallet bootstrap is causing issues with people syncing? Atleast mac users specifically are reporting issues often using it. I think we need to do a remake of it and test it a bit and re release (also the chain is about 40 MB bigger now). We could get that handled pretty easily, man, and I know you are interested in supporting the project as you were involved recently until I guess I pissed you off again being me. I admit I'm not a professional corporate character. Simply an enthusiast, and love the ideas that were eventually decided to be put into action.

(edit: I repeat turns of phrase when I'm tired)

DAPS Project, anonymizing assets for the world. Controlling your financial sovereignty is your right, join now!
Zero-Knowledge Proofs - Revolutionary Proof-Of-Audit algo - Masternodes - PoSv3 - Worldwide community
almightyruler (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 03:59:48 AM

You allowed attacks on my personal character without even bothering to challenge it.

What does this even mean? I'm not a moderator and since this is not self-modded I have no control over this thread. I have no idea who you really are, and my own experiences with you have been very unpleasant, so I'm not going to jump in if someone says something "bad" about your character here. That's up to you to sort out, like anyone else. I'm sure you're quite capable of taking care of yourself.

You've done plenty of your own attacking, BTW.

I find that disconcerting, as all I am trying to do is bring ideas to the table! You pretend as if updating the wallets and trying to have a fork-swap is going to destroy value for peepcoin as opposed to create it. It's obvious there's interest in the ideas that are floating about, so why not work with them? You simply have acted the way you do for so long that I find a malice in your actions. Am I wrong? Do I simply misunderstand your reasoning?

It's good you seem to be willing to discuss this now, but what about the previous few weeks? There's the drilling down you gave me when I asked about the changes in Discord ( https://pastebin.com/Mu8U5Hf1). You've consistently shouted down anyone who asks difficult questions. You've repeatedly spammed the DAPS thread URL and claimed this thread is no longer valid. Anyone can browse the past few pages of this thread and see your erratic behaviour for themselves.

As for my reason for becoming involved with Peepcoin? I've explained it before: I've been mining it since day 1. I had a lot of fun with this coin because of the friendly antics between regulars in the original thread, but I also spent some time exploring where funds went, and exposing the original dev's lies. When he threw a hissy fit and asked a mod to lock and move that thread, I started this one. I simply wanted to keep the coin and community alive. That's all. How is that malicious?

I've been running a dedicated 24/7 Peepcoin node since launch, and added another two 24/7 nodes when I released the new client (with those nodes hardcoded) on 1st September 2016. I have supported this coin in one way or another since day #1.
TheKingInYellow

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:13:55 AM

I've been running a dedicated 24/7 Peepcoin node since launch, and added another two 24/7 nodes when I released the new client (with those nodes hardcoded) on 1st September 2016. I have supported this coin in one way or another since day #1.

Then step up, and let's work together to make this coin great (or -er, if you so please). I want to push a unified trunk for all Peepcoin wallet releases, probably under the "Peepcoin1" github in an updated branch obviously, so even old holders may see it one day.

And I try not to shout, if I may seem a bit sarcastic.

The part I mention about malice is towards me and something regarding more development on this coin. I'm glad you've opened up to the idea, but we have alot of people at hand who want to tackle the task too. You're welcome to join them. I've tried to be a lot more reasonable about criticism, I understand where a lot of it comes from, but I just don't like being called "a scammer and group of scammers" because I... am not..  Sad Being called that hurts my damn feelings, to be honest with you. You can clearly see that with the coins I've been involved with in the past that I haven't ever tried to do badly by the communities I've entered. Just maybe offer criticism that seems harsh. I have done that with this project too, and have lots more of it to give. I'm keeping a grip on myself from now on, if that makes you feel any better. I just think this transition would be healthier conducted in a thread where any links to imposters or fakes will be pruned as soon as they happen instead of it being able to be exploited.

I've also made it clear that you were the main supporter of the coin while it was dormant, I just think you need to look at what we're doing and improve it instead of continue this strange limbo. With the website launch will be an opportunity to host things on there, so let's see what you can do. We have in house web development happening right now that you can be a part of to improve the backend of Peepcoin.

plaincoin

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:18:20 AM

@theyellowinking @bitcoinbabys
Forget the swap . You are not fooling
Anyone with the swap plan.

If you really want to do something for
The peepcoin. Host a node or document
Any fixes we need to make or any upgrades

And yes , let’s do all this in the open
Forum of bitcoin talk .
Not behind closed doors of disco rd app
TheKingInYellow

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:19:38 AM

@theyellowinking @bitcoinbabys
Forget the swap . You are not fooling
Anyone with the swap plan.

If you really want to do something for
The peepcoin. Host a node or document
Any fixes we need to make or any upgrades

And yes , let’s do all this in the open
Forum of bitcoin talk .
Not behind closed doors of disco rd app

It's not behind closed doors. It's open to the public and anyone can join anytime. It just happens to be a good place to have a "community" it seems. I try to get info posted when it's important on BCT, since I'm obviously a long time user.

plaincoin

Activity: 25

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 04:25:43 AM

Any conversation about peepcoin needs to be
Disentangled from daps.

No mention of that in Peepcoin thread obviously.

Let’s be clear on that . It’s peepcoin we all care
About right ?. Then let’s keep it that way.

Significant decisions about peepcoin need to be
Discussed and vetted in this thread, which I see has furthered
Peepcoin cause more than anything .
manov32

Activity: 38

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 10:59:31 PM

add the peepcoin.conf and also try syncing wallet to new location with the --datadir=c:\newlocatio option

I checked the other things and created the peepcoin.conf file but nothing. Only option is this one but I'm not sure how to do it? Than you for your support!
manov32

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:00:56 PM

Why would I want to change my Peepcoins for DAPS? For what end? At least I know Peepcoin is working, even tho I need to fix my wallet problem one of these days. I bought Peepcoin just for fun and I don't want to swap/change it to other coin.. My 2 cents on the matter Smiley

Peepcoin is working? Yet you can't even access the personal wallet?  Huh You're aware we're the ones who will be updating the wallet, so you can even use your Peepcoins, correct?

The wallet was working just fine.. Just the electricity failure f.. it up. I wouldn't change it or swap to be honest.
TheKingInYellow

View Profile
March 21, 2018, 11:46:18 PM

add the peepcoin.conf and also try syncing wallet to new location with the --datadir=c:\newlocatio option

I checked the other things and created the peepcoin.conf file but nothing. Only option is this one but I'm not sure how to do it? Than you for your support!

Follow this:

WINDOWS CONFIG FILE:
Have 0 connections? Place pre-made Peepcoin.conf (located below) in %appdata%/Peepcoin (folder should read something like C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Peepcoin)  and run wallet

http://anonfile.com/a8k1S1d5bf/peepcoin.conf

It should connect and begin syncing.

manov32

View Profile
March 22, 2018, 03:54:24 PM

Follow this:

WINDOWS CONFIG FILE:
Have 0 connections? Place pre-made Peepcoin.conf (located below) in %appdata%/Peepcoin (folder should read something like C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Peepcoin)  and run wallet

Thank you. I will try this tonight and let you know if it works.
almightyruler (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:14:30 AM

Coding update regarding bootstrap / initial sync

I've been looking at the LoadExternalBlockFile() function, which is used for importing blocks from the bootstrap file, and it's very inefficient. The Bitcoin protocol is designed for a "noisy" channel (with potential corruption) which is something you may have expected on a 2400bps modem link in 1985, but not when transferring data via TCP or from disk in the 2000s. The main thing that sticks out is that the code loads in 65536 bytes worth of data from disk just to look for a 4 byte message start header... for every single block. Modern OSs cache disk data but it's still a lot of copying of extraneous data. I'm trying a minor tweak to see if it makes much difference, then I'll consider refactoring it so that it only hunts for a header if the next block is not located immediately after the previous one (which I think would only happen if the bootstrap was corrupt). When this code was originally written, the blockchain for that coin (Bitcoin?) was probably small enough that you wouldn't notice if the computer took a few extra milliseconds to load each block from the bootstrap, but with many coins now having hundreds of thousands of blocks, or even millions, that per-block inefficiency really adds up.

I also found a minor bug in the code that calculates the median value of a list of numbers. If there's only a single value v in the list, it returns v/2 instead of v. If you are syncing from a single peer then the estimated blocks reported by the QT client will display exactly half of the actual amount. I checked 30+ other coins and they have the same bug. It's an obscure edge case to be sure, but it does demonstrate that there can still be undiscovered bugs, however minor, lurking in code which was written years ago.
TheKingInYellow

View Profile
March 23, 2018, 05:53:35 AM

Coding update regarding bootstrap / initial sync

I've been looking at the LoadExternalBlockFile() function, which is used for importing blocks from the bootstrap file, and it's very inefficient. The Bitcoin protocol is designed for a "noisy" channel (with potential corruption) which is something you may have expected on a 2400bps modem link in 1985, but not when transferring data via TCP or from disk in the 2000s. The main thing that sticks out is that the code loads in 65536 bytes worth of data from disk just to look for a 4 byte message start header... for every single block. Modern OSs cache disk data but it's still a lot of copying of extraneous data. I'm trying a minor tweak to see if it makes much difference, then I'll consider refactoring it so that it only hunts for a header if the next block is not located immediately after the previous one (which I think would only happen if the bootstrap was corrupt). When this code was originally written, the blockchain for that coin (Bitcoin?) was probably small enough that you wouldn't notice if the computer took a few extra milliseconds to load each block from the bootstrap, but with many coins now having hundreds of thousands of blocks, or even millions, that per-block inefficiency really adds up.

I also found a minor bug in the code that calculates the median value of a list of numbers. If there's only a single value v in the list, it returns v/2 instead of v. If you are syncing from a single peer then the estimated blocks reported by the QT client will display exactly half of the actual amount. I checked 30+ other coins and they have the same bug. It's an obscure edge case to be sure, but it does demonstrate that there can still be undiscovered bugs, however minor, lurking in code which was written years ago.

You wanna push this out on Peepcoin1 source so people can see there's something actually on there and don't compile from the old one? We'll use that as the base of the upgrade if you do

NickCrypto

Activity: 266
Merit: 101

View Profile
March 24, 2018, 10:01:23 AM

PeepCoin price alert
https://bitscreener.com/coins/peepcoin/price_alert

manov32

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 03:31:22 AM

Follow this:

WINDOWS CONFIG FILE:

Is it possible that my wallet.dat file got broken? I tried a lot of things with no success. Every time I start the wallet it just go directly to no responding state. Even if I delete the folder and start the wallet it goes to no responding immediately. I left it for the night to see if it is like a false no responding, but nothing changed. I downloaded the wallet on another pc and sync it and try to move it to this one, but no success. Any more ideas?
almightyruler (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 05:16:50 AM

Is it possible that my wallet.dat file got broken? I tried a lot of things with no success. Every time I start the wallet it just go directly to no responding state. Even if I delete the folder and start the wallet it goes to no responding immediately. I left it for the night to see if it is like a false no responding, but nothing changed. I downloaded the wallet on another pc and sync it and try to move it to this one, but no success. Any more ideas?

Make a backup of your existing wallet.dat, then try starting the client with -salvagewallet commandline option.

For example, from a command prompt:

peepcoin-qt.exe -salvagewallet

This will sift through your wallet file and pull out the private keys, then create a new clean wallet with the keys it has recovered.

Note that salvage may also take some time as it needs to rescan the blockchain.

Do you remember your balance? If the salvage recovers all your funds, then you can move on. If not, we'll have to figure out something else. Smiley
manov32

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 02:36:16 PM

Make a backup of your existing wallet.dat, then try starting the client with -salvagewallet commandline option.

For example, from a command prompt:

peepcoin-qt.exe -salvagewallet

This will sift through your wallet file and pull out the private keys, then create a new clean wallet with the keys it has recovered.

Note that salvage may also take some time as it needs to rescan the blockchain.

Do you remember your balance? If the salvage recovers all your funds, then you can move on. If not, we'll have to figure out something else. Smiley

I will try this. I see my balance when I use the files from the original wallet.
almightyruler (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2018, 06:39:24 PM

Further update on speeding up the bootstrap

The changes I made above didn't really make a lot of difference to import time.

I've since realised that much of the per-block verification is superfluous when importing a bootstrap, because the hardened checkpoints should ensure the chain of blocks we're importing is valid. I've updated the code to skip much of the 'expensive' verification during a bootstrap, such as checking every transaction in every block.

Currently testing a new build of the client to see how much it improves performance.

I'm also revamping my coin building system with updates to libraries (eg latest openssl) and cross compilers.

I'll be uploading the source to my github account and releasing a new Windows client once I've done more testing.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 »
  Print  

Jump to: