Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 03:41:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offline Transaction & Change Address  (Read 1164 times)
SomeWhere (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:27:52 AM

Hello.

I've started using Armory recently and ran into a big question, to which I hope you can give me an answer that will not make me want to shoot myself.

I did an offline transaction with Armory, which worked just fine. I created the transaction on the online client, signed it on the offline client and broadcasted it on the online client. I used an amount that was present exactly on one address, assuming that Armory would use that input, as it wouldn't require a change address.

Instead, Armory used the first address with BTC in the list, which had more BTC present than the transaction volume. A certain sum was transferred to a change address. My question now is: how do I get access to this change address?

The transaction gets broadcasted on the online client, which has a read-only copy of the wallet, so obviously, I won't be able to access the change address there. However, my offline client does not contain the change address, either.

Where is the private key for the change address? How is this supposed to work with the entire offline transaction logic?
SomeWhere (OP)

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 01:35:50 AM

Hello once more.

I guess you can close the topic.

Here was the issue:

The offline back-up of the wallet is kept in an encrypted container and I didn't back-up the new version of the wallet after signing the transaction. When I loaded the wallet again from the back-up, of course the change address wasn't there yet.

The online version of the wallet had the change address in it, as expected, in read-only form. I remembered that Armory addresses are deterministic, so I just clicked "Receive Bitcoins" on the offline client to create a new address, and sure enough, it was the same one as the change address on the online client.

Problem solved. Note to self: back the new version of the offline wallet up after signing transactions to avoid confusion.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: