Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:04:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does everyone think of litecoins  (Read 496 times)
servvs (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:35:06 AM

I know Bitcoins are getting fairly popular but I am curious as to what everyone thinks of litecoins. I honestly think they have a chance, and as someone else explained, they can co-exist just as visa and mastercard do. I have heard all of the arguments that litecoin can't be a silver and the only "advantage" (if you look at it that way) is that it has earlier confirmations. Well in reality what advantage does visa have over discover? or mastercard over visa? I think it has always been humanities liking to have choices, and litecoin does give another choice over bitcoin. Any thoughts?
kerodean

Activity: 11

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:39:49 AM

I think they're pretty cool, I've already started trying to mine them, its much more rewarding on a low power cpu to mine litecoins than bitcoins  Grin
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 03:40:27 AM

It's good to have a cryptocurrency that is not bitcoin and cannot be merged-mined with bitcoin.

Litecoin offers quicker confirmation times, is a good hedge against bitcoin without having to buy fiat, and is allegedly ASIC-proof, so can be GPU mined, minimizing the possible centralization effect of ASICs. So litecoin could really prove to be the silver to bitcoin's gold. None of us are anticipating $100 litecoins any time soon. $1 or $2, maybe.

It's a good 'coin, methinks.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
JTPROG

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:48:11 AM

It's good to have a cryptocurrency that is not bitcoin and cannot be merged-mined with bitcoin.

Litecoin offers quicker confirmation times, is a good hedge against bitcoin without having to buy fiat, and is allegedly ASIC-proof, so can be GPU mined, minimizing the possible centralization effect of ASICs. So litecoin could really prove to be the silver to bitcoin's gold. None of us are anticipating $100 litecoins any time soon. $1 or $2, maybe.

It's a good 'coin, methinks.

Agree, ASICS scare meh..
servvs (OP)

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:52:26 AM

Well I'm glad to hear everyone's thoughts on it. I am thinking about developing an auction listing site that will use litecoins and bitcoins. I know of bitmit but I think the general public will accept a site better that doesn't allow for adult or paraphanalia listings. I hope everything works out with litecoins because I will be investing a lot of time into them.
harrietubman

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 03:55:46 AM

I just started mining LTC, I mine them on my CPU while I mine btc with my GPUs. So far I like it I'm in pool-x.EU
AnonyMint

Activity: 518
Merit: 521

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 04:33:22 AM

Litecoin is an advance because in theory it can't be ASIC mined, but it doesn't address the threat of cartelization (I am not referring to an overt 51% attack rather a long-term cooperative takeover):

Bitcoin (and Litecoin): The Digital Kill Switch

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=160612.0

unheresy.com - Prodigiously Elucidating the Profoundly ObtuseTHIS FORUM ACCOUNT IS NO LONGER ACTIVE
kojak488

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 04:44:54 AM

I'm all for it.  I've only started mining (and I use that term VERY loosely) LTCs with a very old laptop.  As a first step into it with what I have lying around I don't mind my little 1.4kH/s.
Yogi2013

Activity: 15

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 04:55:33 AM

I tried mining btc on my laptop and gave that up fairly fast then switched to ltc my balance is chugging along. I also set up a gpu on another machine for ltc. The speed of the wallet is very nice. Updating my btc wallet is a daily chore . =/
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 04:57:15 AM

I'm thinking about getting a few myself Tongue  The prices is bound to jump like BTC's.

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 05:42:58 AM

With 21 mln Bitcoins vs 84 mln litecoins, you can do the math on LTC's potential.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: