Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 10:44:50 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A possible solution for cheap hosting  (Read 630 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
brontosaurus (OP)

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 02:19:54 PM

I don't know how many of you have been following the post from Great North Data, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1512967.0, it's essentially
their blog of setting up a new data centre in Labrador, Canada and it makes for very interesting reading, not just about the centre but about life in
Labrador. It's very well written.

A lot of the questions from forum users are about power costs, not surprising since this has a major effect on mining profitability. There is an awful
lot of misinformation on the forum about real world power costs but the bottom line is that there are a lot of countries and locations in the world that have
expensive electricity, and so profitable mining there is impossible. Hosting services can be used of course, but they are very much geared towards
users with multiple miners, for instance the GND guys look for a minimum of 10kW (7 S9's) and they are not alone, there are no good solutions for
someone with a single mining system.

This is a problem I've been thinking about for a long time, there is no easy fix but I feel there is a good commercial opportunity to set up a hosting
centre where there is abundant low cost power to serve single (and multiple) unit users by exploiting economies of scale. From my research the best
location by far is Iceland, basically because they have the ideal combination of low temperatures, very cheap power and a truly first world business
attitude and legal system. To access the best rates you need to be taking a load of about 50 - 70MW, ie 2.5x Bitfury's centre in Ukraine and I'm guessing
from the weight of their power transformer that GND have about 8-9MW. The cheapest way to construct a data centre with this level of power would be to
use containerised systems - they are much cheaper than permanent buildings ($15 per square foot versus around $170) and to expand you can simply
add new units. They are also usually exempt from the health & safety regulations that apply to permanent indoor sites and will be easier to get
planning permission as they are not permanent structures.

The setup costs for such a secured data centre site with a 63MW main power transformer, 16 distribution transformers (2 per container), cabling,
switching, protection and 8 containers (with inbuilt 12v supplies) each capable of hosting 2100 s9 sized miners (or equivalent volume) would run to around
$3.9 - $4.2 million, the main transformer runs at 80% of full load and is capable of powering 16 containers. At this scale it's entirely possible to offer
power to single unit (1.5kw) users at around 4.5 - 6 cents per kWH, if there are enough of them ie around 16,000. The rates include 2 x 10Gb/sec leased line
internet connections and 2 technicians available 24/7, the data centre would take 9 months to reach operational status. Assuming difficulty increases at 2%
per month and that the bitcoin price remains at $600, an S9 installed in the centre in July 2017 at a network rate of 2250PH would pay for it's purchase price
($1600 - no power supply would be needed) in about 15 months at 6 cents per kWH and 13 months at 4.5 cents. I know there's shipping, import duty etc but
I'll cover ways to minimise that later.

Financing such a venture is another matter altogether although there is a good opportunity here for a forward looking company thats willing to swap margin
for volume. This centre could host older equipment that been paid for and extend it's working life, there's also the possibility that miners could buy into
a contractual agreement that gives them a long term guarantee that power will be available for them at a fixed amount above the actual cost price.

Comments?

Sierra8561

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 05:43:40 PM

I've looked into Iceland and they do have many perks to setting up a mine there. One problem, I've never been able to obtain a price from Bitfury for a containerized miner. 2nd you'd have to be a citizen of Iceland, the process seemed very difficult for me as a American citizen to go open shop in Iceland. But you are definitely onto something that a group or someone very wealthy could accomplish.
brontosaurus (OP)

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 06:16:02 PM

I've looked into Iceland and they do have many perks to setting up a mine there. One problem, I've never been able to obtain a price from Bitfury for a containerized miner. 2nd you'd have to be a citizen of Iceland, the process seemed very difficult for me as a American citizen to go open shop in Iceland. But you are definitely onto something that a group or someone very wealthy could accomplish.

Thanks for the input. I realise that I didn't do a good job of describing a 'containerised' setup, what I meant was simply using a modified container as a building, it wouldn't have its own mining capacity, just a pile of racks, switches, sockets and 12V psu's to support customers mining systems.

As for opening an Icelandic company it's very easy for an EEC citizen and they are very welcoming to hi-tech industries. As far as I'm aware they view the US in much the same way as they do the EEC so you may just have been unlucky with the person or people you spoke to. It may be different if you actually want to live and work there but it's like every other country - bring jobs/wealth and you're in. If you are still interested in setting up there I would suggest opening a dialogue (if you haven't already done so) with someone in one of their US embassies or missions. Good luck!
Sierra8561

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
September 30, 2016, 06:51:03 PM

Thanks for the input. I realise that I didn't do a good job of describing a 'containerised' setup, what I meant was simply using a modified container as a building, it wouldn't have its own mining capacity, just a pile of racks, switches, sockets and 12V psu's to support customers mining systems.

As for opening an Icelandic company it's very easy for an EEC citizen and they are very welcoming to hi-tech industries. As far as I'm aware they view the US in much the same way as they do the EEC so you may just have been unlucky with the person or people you spoke to. It may be different if you actually want to live and work there but it's like every other country - bring jobs/wealth and you're in. If you are still interested in setting up there I would suggest opening a dialogue (if you haven't already done so) with someone in one of their US embassies or missions. Good luck!

Definitely something to look into. Thanks for the clarification.
NaraAzimova

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 23, 2016, 08:59:44 PM

i think GreenGeeks a Good Web Hosting Provider in 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPCrAxYS8hg
SMSabuj

Activity: 602
Merit: 251

I am a professional Web Designer and Developer

View Profile
October 26, 2016, 06:11:39 PM

i think GreenGeeks a Good Web Hosting Provider in 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPCrAxYS8hg
I think www.namecheap.com/‎ is best for Cheap Rate Hosting.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: