Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:14:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Govcoin.  (Read 6492 times)
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 01:52:50 AM

Government hates everything that it cannot control.
Power hungry sickness.
Authority hungry sickness. ~fixed

You got to understand them : what would those guys do for a living if they had no-one to rule and to tax from ??

Having people work for them while they give stupid orders and pointless regulations, that's their job !  They are just defending it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonymous

November 02, 2010, 07:50:19 AM

Government hates everything that it cannot control.
Power hungry sickness.
Authority hungry sickness. ~fixed

You got to understand them : what would those guys do for a living if they had no-one to rule and to tax from ??

Having people work for them while they give stupid orders and pointless regulations, that's their job !  They are just defending it.

Thats why its silly to have a government. It attracts exactly the type of psycopath that enjoys those very things....and lawyers.
Bitquux

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 02, 2010, 08:12:14 PM

Does it even have to be a government to do this?
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2010, 09:25:53 PM

The OP was about forcing people to use a different fork. It's not going to happen, but any organization that could/would do that would be a government.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Anonymous

November 02, 2010, 11:46:15 PM

The government is the elephant in the room and if you think they would ever give up their monetary power to the slaves you are kidding... Smiley

Could a sufficiently large entity such as the state attach itself to the project and overwhelm it ?

bober182

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 01:11:53 AM

Maybe it still has to have 50%+1 processing power or force people to use its own client which would be quite hard. At most kill the businesses that sell products for bitcoins. Then we still have TOR. Its a really tit for tat fight cat and mouse between who will be able to control or undermine who.

Anonymous

November 03, 2010, 01:29:23 AM

Maybe it still has to have 50%+1 processing power or force people to use its own client which would be quite hard. At most kill the businesses that sell products for bitcoins. Then we still have TOR. Its a really tit for tat fight cat and mouse between who will be able to control or undermine who.

Fair enough. I laugh when people say bitcoin should be backed by metal when metal is easily confiscated....

I prefer my currency backed by cryptography. Smiley
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 01:50:38 AM

Fair enough. I laugh when people say bitcoin should be backed by metal when metal is easily confiscated....

Maybe one day gold will be backed by bitcoins.   Smiley

Anonymous

November 03, 2010, 01:53:05 AM

haha that would make the Austrian economists heads spin around.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 01:54:04 AM

LOL !

idev

Activity: 859
Merit: 1004

BTC OG and designer of the BitcoinMarket.com logo

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 12:36:49 PM

Or most likely the Bancor.
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 04:40:55 PM

It will be great! Cheesy

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 06:59:11 PM

No, not really.  Austrians don't have problems with double backing, which is what a gold currency with a fixed convertability into Bitcoin would be.  Austrians only have problems with currencies that arise in an unnatural manner, such as every fiat currency in the world.  A gold standard is better than an unbacked fiat, mind you; but the best answer is to remove the monopolies that 'legal tender' laws grant to a particular national currency and let the actions of the people determine what they naturally trust.

BTW, those of you who assume that others whom you interact with on an Internet forum think like yourselves, should try to remember that it's is highly likely that you are being offensive to the very people that you are trying to amuse.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 07:07:55 PM

BTW, those of you who assume that others whom you interact with on an Internet forum think like yourselves, should try to remember that it's is highly likely that you are being offensive to the very people that you are trying to amuse.

I don't understand this paragraph.  But I guess trying to be humoristic on Internet is even harder than I thought.

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2010, 07:26:50 PM

No, not really.  Austrians don't have problems with double backing, which is what a gold currency with a fixed convertability into Bitcoin would be.  Austrians only have problems with currencies that arise in an unnatural manner, such as every fiat currency in the world.  A gold standard is better than an unbacked fiat, mind you; but the best answer is to remove the monopolies that 'legal tender' laws grant to a particular national currency and let the actions of the people determine what they naturally trust.

Or the people getting offended could realize that the people whose posts they're reading think differently from them and are very likely not trying to offend.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 11:43:58 PM

I don't understand this paragraph.  But I guess trying to be humoristic on Internet is even harder than I thought.

Let me sum it up.  I'm an Austrian Economist.  I don't find the implication that my peers and myself would have our 'heads spin' to be humorous.  I see it as evidence that those who write such things don't understand the ideas of those they attempt to belittle, in addition to a general case of inmaturity.  I have no doubt that some found this joke amusing, but it was posted on a public forum, presumedly with the intent of amusing forum membership.  Since I identify with the butt of your joke, I find it mildly offensive.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 11:46:17 PM

Or the people getting offended could realize that the people whose posts they're reading think differently from them and are very likely not trying to offend.

That's irrelevent.  It's not like it's so bad that I'm never going to get past it, but it's still bad form to offend your readership, even by accident.

nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 04, 2010, 02:24:00 AM

That's irrelevent.  It's not like it's so bad that I'm never going to get past it, but it's still bad form to offend your readership, even by accident.

Common sense doesn't come cheap, and that little pair of words has very different semantics value for different people. I don't know anything about Austrian economics, so I didn't find it funny nor offensive.

I do, however, try hard not to be part of any 'group'. I find no particular group fits my exact thoughts or feelings because there are, you know, other people with opinions in them. Taking offense because a joke was publicly made referencing whatever group you consider yourself to be part of is slightly immature, but saying so out loud sounds like you are not completely comfortable with your beliefs and feel the need to justify yourself.

There, I can derail a thread too! :p

PS: None of the above describes my own thoughts or ideas, at least not anymore. I tend to change my mind a lot.
grondilu
Legendary

View Profile
November 04, 2010, 02:35:40 AM
Last edit: November 04, 2010, 02:49:32 AM by grondilu

Common sense doesn't come cheap, and that little pair of words has very different semantics value for different people. I don't know anything about Austrian economics, so I didn't find it funny nor offensive.

I'd like to say that I personnaly adhere to austrian economics school, and yet I've found this joke very funny.

Anonymous

November 04, 2010, 03:24:48 AM

Police brutality and the state's monopoly on force is offensive not something written harmlessly on an online forum. It is no secret that bitcoin is viewed that way ,at least every time its brought up on mises.org the next post will invariably be that it has no backing. Its almost as certain as bitcoin's law. In fact it could be bitcoin's law no 2. You could say its an inside joke amongst everyone on this forum so leave it to me to point out the obvious.  Smiley

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: