Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:56:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: wild and unsubstantiated speculation about BFL's power woes  (Read 6315 times)
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:01:34 AM

it is entirely possible they did not even use a 65nm processor node, just something to think about.

...BUH...BUH...BUT...that would be dishonest!?! I'm sure Sonny V would never head up a company that would do such a thing. Just keep the lottery tickets away from him.

Anyway JZ says they're 65nm full custom unicorn blood superchips and we all know what *his* word is worth.

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:05:54 AM

Wheres Josh and his rebuttals?  I miss Josh the troller.

He sure liked to smack-talk Avalon. Now that Avalon has shipped quiet a few units, and BFL power usage has skyrocketed while performance has plummeted, Josh has sure been quiet. Come on, Josh. Make fun of all those Avalons cranking out 5 BTC/day.

Buy & Hold
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 03:21:29 AM

it is entirely possible they did not even use a 65nm processor node, just something to think about.

LMAO!
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:29:44 AM

he spend all day in his pied piper shout box...    very hopeless there, like cancer ward they sufferers try to smile in the pain

they wil turn into walking dead zombies soon

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:47:40 AM

One of the few things that argues against the hypothesis that BFL is 100% scam (in my mind) is that they managed to fool the you guys.  It would be kinda funny if it turned out that the Avalon guys were in a foot-race against exactly zero other vendors this whole time.  Very sweet for Avalon customers though.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:17:21 AM

One of the few things that argues against the hypothesis that BFL is 100% scam (in my mind) is that they managed to fool the you guys.  It would be kinda funny if it turned out that the Avalon guys were in a foot-race against exactly zero other vendors this whole time.  Very sweet for Avalon customers though.

And I think icing on the scam cake is that BFL used many preorder $$$ to buy Avalons

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:20:09 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 10:49:27 AM by eldentyrell

and their first prototype is educating them on why you don't go whole hog and order the parts to mass produce a product before any testing is done.

Actually six wafers is the minimum order at every foundry I've worked with.

The only way to get less than six wafers worth of chips is to join an MPW, but those masks can't be reused (or even modified to fix bugs) so if your ultimate goal is to be in production rather than some sort of research project it just doesn't make sense.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:26:08 AM

Could you please speculate wildly on why the idle power usage is so high?
Originally advertised values for a Single SC: 40 Watt while hashing (at 40GHash/s). Actual values for this little prototype board (with unknown hashrate): 42 Watt idle (!!), 160 Watt when hashing.

I'm guessing "idle" means the clock is still running, so all the gates are still switching.  In other words, it isn't actually idle.  My Spartan-6 firmware is like this -- unless you stop the clock it consumes the same amount of power as when doing useful work.  Not much reason to put clock-enables on a mining chip.

It reminds me of ECL or linear analog designs.

I think we'll see current-mode logic (MCML) mining chips pretty soon.  If the device is going to be powered on and running full speed 24x7x365 anyways a lot of the power advantage of voltage-mode CMOS goes away.

No, I don't think BFL is using CML.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:39:10 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 10:58:53 AM by eldentyrell

It is pretty obvious now that they don't know what they are doing...  like the first season of Gold Rush

BFL probably filmed the past 10 months and will be on the next season of that show

Whoever photoshops Josh's face onto Todd Hoffman's body is my hero.  Bonus points for goatee.

-- elden "Dakota" tyrell

eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:42:16 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2013, 10:53:46 AM by eldentyrell

ever know how many potential legit ASIC suppliers were scared away by BFL's promise, leaving only the failed cowboys and Avalon and those who don't announce their products until they work behind.  But I would bet that number is greater than zero.

ftfy

Rodyland

Activity: 499
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 11:09:12 AM

ever know how many potential legit ASIC suppliers were scared away by BFL's promise, leaving only the failed cowboys and Avalon and those who don't announce their products until they work behind.  But I would bet that number is greater than zero.

ftfy

If you mean that BFL scared away people who had products already in development, I find that hard to believe.  Committing the $1M or so to an ASIC design and mask etc is a huge sunk cost.  I find it to believe that anyone would sink that much work and investment and then walk away from it because someone else announced a competing product.

If you mean that there are others out there quietly toiling away building ASIC miners, who actually have the financial backing to not need to take preorders, as well as the integrity to not sell something until it's ready to ship, then I really, really hope so.

Beware the weak hands!
1NcL6Mjm4qeiYYi2rpoCtQopPrH4PyKfUC
GPG ID: E3AA41E3
eldentyrell (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2013, 10:12:21 PM

If you mean that BFL scared away people who had products already in development, I find that hard to believe.

^ That is not what I meant.

If you mean that there are others out there quietly toiling away building ASIC miners, who actually have the financial backing to not need to take preorders, as well as the integrity to not sell something until it's ready to ship, then I really, really hope so.

meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:30:24 PM

he spend all day in his pied piper shout box...    very hopeless there, like cancer ward they sufferers try to smile in the pain

they wil turn into walking dead zombies soon

I like this one.

Maybe we can call them "Josh's Kids" like a charity for the very sad, true believers.  Those that do not fret, but become more sedated as the BFL propaganda pathogen gnaws at their brain like a prion disease.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 11:53:36 AM

...i just had an idea about the power usage:

Remember how the jalapeño was introduced? Coffee-warmer! ..... Now instead of warming you can straight out boil your espresso on these:)

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: