Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:57:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best HW To Mine Multi AltCoins?  (Read 483 times)
lanane (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 08:20:55 AM

I'm looking for the best Hardware to mine multiple AltCoins and START CHEAPLY !

I'm aware each coin uses a different type of algo .... SHA256/Scrypt/X11 etc ....

I thought I saw a device that touted "we support all hash rates" but I haven't looked it up again yet. I wanted to ask about it here first.

Main reason is I'm aware ASIC miners built for BC can't be users for Ether etc .... So is it really possible a device like this exists ?

Also, right now I have a few choices.

1) Few year old laptop (Quad Processor) so it would pretty much have to be an external USB type of device

2) a VERY old PC, came with WIN 7 installed factory. I can't even tell what type of graphics card slot it has, so I'm not sure if I could add a graphics card..

3) If needed I could build a milk box .... Although board, CPU, PSU alone would be in the $200 range .... Shown above I have a board etc, Suppose I need to figure out if that board supports the right graphics cards. which would be PCI Express (Am I Right?)

4) If my old box only supported an older graphics card, would it be worth starting with that ? Even if it was a lot slower ... Would at least give me a feel and pry only be $50 for a card.

Honestly, and this may be unrealistic, I'm looking for a way to get in around $300 or so. I don't want to mine BC, Ether, LC, or even DOGGE, I want to mine the obscure and unknown coins. Mainly for the experience and fun. Considering it an investment in future mining endeavors. Which is why I want to get in as cheaply as possible.

It's also why I'd like to support as many algos as possible. I'm guessing GPU would be my best route ? If I have to be confined to say 5-6 alt-coins, so be it ... But it would be a huge waste as far as my learning curve. Tomorrow I'll google for the device I mentioned and post it. I think it may have actually been WAY out of my price range though.

Anyways, any suggestions on where to go from her would be appreciated. Such as most commonly used algo for Alt Coins or other any general suggestions. Also if there are super lightweight devices for each algorithim that could get me in the door - similar to USB AntMiners you can find on AliBaba for $30 - Which I'm assuming couldnt be used for ANY altcoins, only BC?

Sorry so long, and Thanks for reading

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
snowyNNN

Activity: 422
Merit: 251

Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Zcl Kmd Zen Rep Xmr Sc Neo

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 01:44:59 PM

If your old pc has pcie slot/s which it very likely could have , your best claim to miner glory for cheap is to buy a used Gpu.

I have an over 10 years old motherboard with singlecore cpu and it mines Ethereum with a newer gpu just fine.

I wouldn´t bother with those usb-stick-miners. Well, maybe for a learning experience.

Good Luck and Happy Mining!

█▀▀▄░▄▀▀▄░▄▀▀▀░█░░░  Xmr Sc Pasc Rlc Zen           ✦       (\__/)       ✦
█▀▀░░█▀▀█░░▀▀▄░█░░░  Zcl Kmd Ltc Rep Dash                  (='.'=) 
█░░░░█░░█░███▀░███░ Pasl [Xci-r.i.p.] Eth Btc             ✦   (")_(")  ✦           ▲▼ Anonymous ▲▼ Community Driven     XULT.com
Eyedol-X

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 01:57:49 PM

I wouldn´t bother with those usb-stick-miners. Well, maybe for a learning experience.

This is what my buddy did, he purchased one for learning. Small investment to get understanding of how things work.

I recommend anyone getting into crypto mining take the advice of start small until you understand how things work, then you can make educated decisions on purchases and investments.
lanane (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 09:50:30 PM

Thank guys !

I'm usually a 'balls to the walls' type of guy, meaning I woud of aited and saved up $5,000 and probably speent a month confused and frustrated getting the rig to work lol. I really thought a lot about this. I had problems syncing the DB up for Ethereum even when  was doing it just for shit's sake if I remember right, so I decided the cheaper I start the better.

To be honest ? It's not even about making money off of it. It's about the experience for me. Well, right now anyways hahaha .... Down the road, a different story I'm sure.

Thanks for telling me I'm on the right path when I was thinking of starting off with a cheap GPU. I wasn't sure though which is why I listed the other options as well ... Figured I'd let experienced miners tell me the best route as I know 'nothing' about mining' yet !!

Anyways, if anyone else has anything to add ... My ears are wide open. In the mean time. I think I'm going to take the tower to Best Buy and ask what kind of slot I have, if I need an extra fan, if my PSU supports a card, what the best card I can get is ... I know some websites show hash rates for higher end cards but is there one that would show hash rates for cards such as the types I would be looking at ?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: