Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:57:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Multisigs creation/combing all the same?  (Read 657 times)
lowcarbjc (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 12:21:55 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2016, 01:01:27 PM by lowcarbjc
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Hi guys, I have three questions regarding Multisigs please:

Question1:
If I create a Multisig address via something like www.bitaddress.org (Split wallet section), will I be able to combine it again with another service that offers multisig creation and combining, or will this combining back into a usable private key only work with the place where I created it, in this case bitaddress.org?

Question2:
Is a multisig created by something like www.bitaddress.org as secure as a multisig created elsewhere? I read some comment somewhere that recons a Split Wallet address is not the same as or "True Multisig" because it doesn't start with a 3?

Question 3:
Am I right by saying that multisig address created by a place like bitaddress.org is more secure in general than just a normal random bitcoin address created by bitaddress.org or is it easier to hack it?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4606

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 01:06:38 PM

Hi guys, I have three questions regarding Multisigs please:

Question1:
If I create a Multisig address via something like www.bitaddress.org (Split wallet section), will I be able to combine it again with another service that offers multisig creation and combining, or will this combining back into a usable private key only work with the place where I created it, in this case bitaddress.org?

bitaddress.org does not supply multisig capabilities.  It only supplies a split private key.

You will NOT be able to use any multisig services with those key shares.

You WILL be able to use any service that implements Shamir Secret Sharing.

Question2:
Is a multisig created by something like www.bitaddress.org as secure as a multisig created elsewhere?

Shamir Secret Sharing, when created by something like bitaddress, is as secure as Shamir Secret Sharing created elsewhere as long as you take the correct precautions to secure the key shares. Shamir Secret Sharing does not provide the features of multisig.

Question 3:
Am I right by saying that multisig address created by a place like bitaddress.org is more secure in general than just a normal random bitcoin address created by bitaddress.org or is it easier to hack it?

No.  There is nothing intrinsically "more  secure" about Shamir Secret Sharing than securely storing a single private key.

When used properly, Shamir Secret Sharing will allow you to store the individual shares in separate places that have different access protocols so that anyone attempting to steal the private key will need to be able to get past more than one protocol.  It is also possible to protect yourself against losing the private key in situations where you lose one or more pieces.

Both of these features are available in multisig as well, but multisig provides additional features (such as allowing multiple individuals to send bitcoins without requiring participation of anyone else, or requiring multiple individuals to all separately sign a transaction before it can be sent).
lowcarbjc (OP)

Activity: 21
Merit: 4

View Profile WWW
October 02, 2016, 02:48:57 PM
Last edit: October 02, 2016, 03:05:42 PM by lowcarbjc

Fantastic answers, thank you Danny! Now that I have learned that there is a difference between Multisig and Shamar Secret Sharing I came accross this for others who might be interested in the differences. https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2uj2qe/difference_between_shamir_secret_sharing_scheme/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: