Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 06:41:20 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Please support the new XBT bitcoin abbreviation  (Read 1096 times)
MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 07:19:40 PM

I personally don't see why it matters, if it has something to do with a market listing then set it as XBT (I know of some exchanges that already use XBT for their listing), however it shouldn't matter beyond that. People talking on here probably have a good idea of what others are talking about regardless of what abbreviation they use.

Plus something 2 years old isn't really new, but that's just my opinion.

'2 years' is definitely not a long period for bitcoin. Not many people aware of bitcoin before 2011.
In Bitcoin, 2 years is a really long time. We've gone from $250 to $780 to $600 over the course of 2 years, and we have movements that would take decades in the normal markets. Even then, having an abbreviation for 2 years is still a decent period of time. The specific time period when people become more aware about Bitcoin doesn't really matter in this instance.

That $250 price period is special, as I remember it is at around $600 for a long time few months before that around $250. It is not ' building up' from that $250. Sometimes it can drop $150 in a day such as the bitfinex incident.
You are aware that the $250 value encompassed most of 2015 right? It had gone $1,200 (2013), $900 (2-3 weeks after ATH), $700 (Mid-Late 2014), $500 (Late 2014), $250 (Spring-fall and some of winter) 2015, and now we're back up to $600. It wasn't anything special and it was a lack of interest in the Bitcoin market. It was LITERALLY building back up, and we got momentum during winter 2015, pushed up to $410-ish, and then everyone started investing again.

I'm now really skeptical about how much you know about the history of the Bitcoin market, because the movements were pretty noticeable and while I might not have the dates 100% accurate, they are decent representations.
8xbt.com (OP)

Activity: 305
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 07:26:39 PM

should we support this simple because your website will benefit? if you want it, you should at least show us some good reason.. i know it is designed to be that way but the market embraced btc, so why change now?
Personally I see it as a suspicious conflict of interest between him pushing this abbreviation that has been around since late 2013 (when I first heard of it) and he is now trying to publish XBT as a "new" abbreviation while also neatly tucking XBT into his site name, shown on his account.

I don't care about any abbreviation, and neither should you. The market can decide how it wants to abbreviate Bitcoin, and there isn't any reason to push an old market ticker listing as something new and fresh. It's quite stale.

If you don't like you can ignore this post and my username. I had done nothing wrong, I am free to use the username, and free to raise the discussion. I did not force or push anyone to use the abbreviation. Any other suspicion or conflict of interest is irrelevant.
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 07:36:03 PM

should we support this simple because your website will benefit? if you want it, you should at least show us some good reason.. i know it is designed to be that way but the market embraced btc, so why change now?
Personally I see it as a suspicious conflict of interest between him pushing this abbreviation that has been around since late 2013 (when I first heard of it) and he is now trying to publish XBT as a "new" abbreviation while also neatly tucking XBT into his site name, shown on his account.

I don't care about any abbreviation, and neither should you. The market can decide how it wants to abbreviate Bitcoin, and there isn't any reason to push an old market ticker listing as something new and fresh. It's quite stale.

If you don't like you can ignore this post and my username. I had done nothing wrong, I am free to use the username, and free to raise the discussion. I did not force or push anyone to use the abbreviation. Any other suspicion or conflict of interest is irrelevant.
I'm not saying you've done anything wrong. I'm merely noting an interesting coincidence.

While you are not forcing anyone to use XBT, you are however pushing people to use it by requesting people support it. It's like a politician suggesting "Please support my bill X-ABC". It isn't criminal or wrong, but just make sure you know what it is you are doing. I don't think anyone even thought about changing the abbreviation they were using, I personally didn't even consider that as a possibility until I saw this thread.
8xbt.com (OP)

Activity: 305

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 07:43:06 PM

I personally don't see why it matters, if it has something to do with a market listing then set it as XBT (I know of some exchanges that already use XBT for their listing), however it shouldn't matter beyond that. People talking on here probably have a good idea of what others are talking about regardless of what abbreviation they use.

'2 years' is definitely not a long period for bitcoin. Not many people aware of bitcoin before 2011.
In Bitcoin, 2 years is a really long time. We've gone from $250 to $780 to $600 over the course of 2 years, and we have movements that would take decades in the normal markets. Even then, having an abbreviation for 2 years is still a decent period of time. The specific time period when people become more aware about Bitcoin doesn't really matter in this instance.

That $250 price period is special, as I remember it is at around $600 for a long time few months before that around $250. It is not ' building up' from that $250. Sometimes it can drop $150 in a day such as the bitfinex incident.
You are aware that the $250 value encompassed most of 2015 right? It had gone $1,200 (2013), $900 (2-3 weeks after ATH), $700 (Mid-Late 2014), $500 (Late 2014), $250 (Spring-fall and some of winter) 2015, and now we're back up to $600. It wasn't anything special and it was a lack of interest in the Bitcoin market. It was LITERALLY building back up, and we got momentum during winter 2015, pushed up to $410-ish, and then everyone started investing again.

I'm now really skeptical about how much you know about the history of the Bitcoin market, because the movements were pretty noticeable and while I might not have the dates 100% accurate, they are decent representations.

I think it is not about the history of bitcoin market, it is about the basic logic. The reason you state 2 years is long is only because of the $250 and the current $600 price gap. If by that time it is at about $600 you will not say that.

Even in 2013, 5 years after 2008, very few people knows anything bitcoin.

MingLee

Activity: 490
Merit: 520

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 07:48:16 PM

I think it is not about the history of bitcoin market, it is about the basic logic. The reason you state 2 years is long is only because of the $250 and the current $600 price gap. If by that time it is at about $600 you will not say that.

Even in 2013, 5 years after 2008, very few people knows anything bitcoin.
I'm going to stop after this post probably because I'm getting tired of posting, but 2 years is a long time ago regardless of the price. I wouldn't care if it was at $6,000, $600 or $6 2 years ago, it would, and has, been a long time. XBT is old and already in use by places. That is the point I'm trying to make.

2013, however was probably the peak of Bitcoin's popularity due to the $1,200 price hike. I know it was being reported on the news constantly for a week while it happened.
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 07:54:42 PM

It's not a new abbreviation an it makes literally no difference at all. I'll call it Bcn your dad can call it BTC your friend calls it XxB and the next generation will call it BIT.

Woop dee doo, it's always going to be 100,000,000 Satoshis.
Senor.Bla

Activity: 280
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 08:01:20 PM

It's not a new abbreviation an it makes literally no difference at all. I'll call it Bcn your dad can call it BTC your friend calls it XxB and the next generation will call it BIT.

it is not that irrelevant. if a paper writes about a fire damage worth 150,000 woop de doo you will have no clue if they are talking about USD or JPY (UD Dollar/Japan Yen is about 100:1). and if there will be 10 abbreviations for bitcoin people will be not able to work well with it.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 08:08:02 PM

in america when you go to a shop do you say how much USD is this. nope
in the UK when you go to a shop do you say how much GBP is this. nope

you say dollar, bucks or $..
you say pound, quid or £

USD and GBP are not used in the real world of normal conversations and consumer/retail of real currency holders, its only used in wallstreet by day trade players

same goes for the OP's desire for using XBT
XBT wallstreet.
btc normal real bitcoin holders

atleast then people can know what they are actually trading and getting

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
cpfreeplz
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1042

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 08:29:31 PM

it is not that irrelevant. if a paper writes about a fire damage worth 150,000 woop de doo you will have no clue if they are talking about USD or JPY (UD Dollar/Japan Yen is about 100:1). and if there will be 10 abbreviations for bitcoin people will be not able to work well with it.

Oh my God what will we ever do?!?! There's no symbol for BTC and no way to type out Bitcoin in the headline for all of the fiat fools to read!!! Oh wait... There is a symbol and there is a name for it. So as I previously said, it doesn't matter.

Oh btw is Canadian money CAD or CDN? It's both. OH SHIT CANADA IS COLLAPSING!!!/s
Senor.Bla

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 08:31:53 PM

you say pound, quid or £

USD and GBP are not used in the real world of normal conversations and consumer/retail of real currency holders, its only used in wallstreet by day trade players

XBT wallstreet.

sure you can write one, two, three instead of 1, 2, 3 and people will understand you. but at some point we agreed on an standard. so if you write a text about two potatoes and in the next sentence they are II potatoes and the sentence after that 2 potatoes, people will be able to understand you, buy why complicate things? we use abbreviation for a reason and if we use all the same and everywhere it makes things easier. i only say metric system.
and btw USD and GBP are not only used at wallstreet.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 06:22:03 AM

you say pound, quid or £

XBT wallstreet.

sure you can write one, two, three instead of 1, 2, 3 and people will understand you. but at some point we agreed on an standard. so if you write a text about two potatoes and in the next sentence they are II potatoes and the sentence after that 2 potatoes, people will be able to understand you, buy why complicate things? we use abbreviation for a reason and if we use all the same and everywhere it makes things easier. i only say metric system.
USD GBP are used by government and banking institutions in reference to their reports, statistics, holdings in trusts, investments and other things. which are more relevantly linked to the wallstreet markets rather than the bank note, real dollars/pounds

trying to suggest that we should pretend XBT will be the same as btc, when its already known that XBT will be used on non bitcoin deposit/withdrawal (wallstreet) exchanges. is foolishly going to lead the naive to think there is not a difference.

in the forex markets every REAL forex trader knows that the USD market in forex is a different market and different store of value than the way consumers hold value of dollars. but the naive think they are the exact same thing.

bitcoin is suppose to wake people up to the shady crap of the bankers. so lets not push banker shady crap into the bitcoin realm. lets atleast try to make bitcoin something honest, open and transparent

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Senor.Bla

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 08:53:07 AM

you say pound, quid or £

XBT wallstreet.

USD GBP are used by government and banking institutions in reference to their reports, statistics, holdings in trusts, investments and other things. which are more relevantly linked to the wallstreet markets rather than the bank note, real dollars/pounds

trying to suggest that we should pretend XBT will be the same as btc, when its already known that XBT will be used on non bitcoin deposit/withdrawal (wallstreet) exchanges. is foolishly going to lead the naive to think there is not a difference.

in the forex markets every REAL forex trader knows that the USD market in forex is a different market and different store of value than the way consumers hold value of dollars. but the naive think they are the exact same thing.

bitcoin is suppose to wake people up to the shady crap of the bankers. so lets not push banker shady crap into the bitcoin realm. lets atleast try to make bitcoin something honest, open and transparent
i totally see your point, but i just think that a different name will not to the trick. i am more fore education of the people. this is the reason why i explained the origin of XBT.
imagine this scenario:
hey what is XBT?
-it is the same es BTC
really? cool, i take that, but why do they have 2 names?
-i do not know, just pretend it is the same.

i am sure in 90% of the cases this would go like this. as people do not know and do not want to know.
we need to educate them, but just having to abbreviations will not be enough. also my origin story will not be enough, but i will make it more clear in the future.   

satdas

Activity: 281

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 08:58:28 PM

i am hearing this for the first time and have no idea out this, therefore i think i should wait for the time when i get some good information about XBT and after tat i will give my own idea about this.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: