Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 12:26:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC Transaction fee of 0.01 for a 0.02 Send?  (Read 2357 times)
djproject

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:17:29 PM

* Fees do not prevent an attacker from spamming.  A determined attacker will simply use a different client.  By putting this ineffective measure in the official client, we only punish legitimate users.

Please direct me to this other client that can cause other nodes on the network to accept and relay my fee-less spam transactions.

That is not the issue.  The issue is that a determined attacker can broadcast transactions arbitrarily fast.  You are right that other nodes can choose to ignore them, but that's not the issue.  And anyway, that just furthers the case for removing fees as an anti-spam measure.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:35:00 PM

I assure you there are no broadcasts involved, TCP is a one to one channel.

The standard fee is included so that people don't make spends that never get accepted by the network, which is largely the default client.  As other node software springs up, the rules for both will become far more flexible.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
brendio

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 11:42:43 PM

Nodes and miners are free to change their own local rules for accepting and relaying transactions, but this isn't currently easy since it involves recompiling the client, or using an alternative client. 

On the wiki it states a workaround to the fee by using a different client (i.e. the 0.01 transaction fee is built in to the standard client). Is there a list somewhere, or can you name any alternative clients that do not enforce the fee?

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: