Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:09:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Suggestion] Issue Refund  (Read 360 times)
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 01:28:21 PM

I didn't see this feature in any wallet before but I think It could be very helpful (Let me know what you guys think).

Idea is pretty simple , you basically send the received funds back to the sender address. If a big amount was sent (which probably means multiple addresses will be shown) then choose one of the addresses.

So , when you first run Electrum you have the transactions in the first tab. You should be able to access this "Issue refund" just by right clicking the transaction you want . Typing the password should be necessary .

It could be a problem for what comes to exchanges where people don't really control their addresses so a warning should be available when on the "Type password" window. (Most people don't use exchanges to send funds to other people's wallets anyway)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2016, 04:57:26 PM

it is suggested not to do Address reuse and many users are following this suggestion. this means your suggested feature is either encouraging address reuse! or is not going to work because the sender no longer wants to use that address or may not even have access to it because of using an Exchanger, an online wallet like Coinbase,...

Electrum is already showing addresses in a way that some believe is encouraging address reuse. so i don't think it would be a good idea to add to that.

also bitcoin is a no charge-back-currency so i find the idea of "refund" a bit redundant.

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 05:19:26 PM

Isn't it already quite simple to return the funds if you want? You can simply copy the sending address from the transaction details and issue a refund.

Ok, it would take 2 more steps and manually typing in the amount, but I doubt a lot of people are in need for issuing refunds. What makes you want a function like this?
FrilledShark

Activity: 617
Merit: 500

I am the signed message, without I am not

View Profile WWW
October 03, 2016, 05:36:57 PM

I don't think it is necessary, as many things could go wrong in the refund process, like people not controlling their sending address (aka Coinbase or your example of an exchange). I have seen a lot of people who is using Coinbase as their go-to wallet.
On top of my head, I can't think of a situation where creating the refunds the traditional way is worse then having an automated solution.

There is also better places to improve then a return button. Like: Deleting transactions from wallet memory or an easier way to deal with 0 confirmations.

Not very active. Please use PM or email to get a reply from me.
High value lender – Within 24 hours, I can fund your 10 BTC loan. Give me 48 hours and 20 BTC will be ready.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6131

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 05:24:21 PM

it is suggested not to do Address reuse and many users are following this suggestion. this means your suggested feature is either encouraging address reuse! or is not going to work because the sender no longer wants to use that address or may not even have access to it because of using an Exchanger, an online wallet like Coinbase,...

Electrum is already showing addresses in a way that some believe is encouraging address reuse. so i don't think it would be a good idea to add to that.

also bitcoin is a no charge-back-currency so i find the idea of "refund" a bit redundant.

I wouldn't really consider this as an address reuse because It's simply sending funds back to an address you just used to send from, and not using it to receive multiple times.
If we are speaking about what is "not recommended" then It's also not suggested to use online wallets & exchange.
Chargebacks are and will remain something impossible to do with Bitcoin , those "refunds" will be made with the will of the receiver and not the sender.
As for NorrisK question , then I know It's possible to do this but having things automatic could make life of users much easier.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████