Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:04:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk: another web caught selling my email to a spam list  (Read 650 times)
raxom (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 08:49:53 PM

I have a special email system: I give an unique email address to each different sender. So, it works like a honeypot for spammer detection.
Today I received two spam emails from cym@ink-hack.su and ahxk@inc-hack.su titled "Samsung S6 Edge = 99$ (Black market Haacking)". They contain links to that web.
Ok, I don't want to accuse Bitcointalk. Another posibility is that this web was hacked.

This situation already happened in another website (BlackHatWorld). I reported the incident, and decided to close my account. They don't allow users to close their account. "Just don't log in", they said. (The problem is that I don't want to leave my data in a place opened to future hacking). Finally, they offered to ban me, and it cost me lots of denial, trolling and humiliation. The case is similar here, but now I'm too tired to beg for being banned or accept public scorn.
http://www.blackhatworld.com/seo/thank-you-for-selling-my-email-to-a-spam-list.879241/

UPDATE: Ok, I have read that the full DB of this website was hacked and it's for sale.
https://www.hackread.com/hacked-bitcointalk-forum-database-on-dark-web/
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
A!

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 04, 2016, 09:05:35 PM
Last edit: October 04, 2016, 09:22:39 PM by A!

You stated have special email system. You can just change the email easily. Spam problem solved.
If your passwords are strong you don't have to worry about your accounts being breached unless it is weak.

achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2016, 09:19:09 PM

Bitcointalk was hacked in May 2015. This exposed usernames, email addresses, etc. That's how spammers got your email.

Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 04:03:15 AM

I recently got an email from someone claiming to be Bitfinex, saying they would reimburse me for my losses on the exchange. Obviously a phisher. I didn't lose anything on that exchange, plus they spelled Bitfinex as Bitfineks. Lol.

People are always going to farm emails. You just have to deal with it.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
October 06, 2016, 04:04:47 AM

I got tons of spam today

MyBTT

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2016, 10:08:02 AM

I got tons of spam today

Your email is effectively public. Honestly I have no better recommendation than simply to find a new email address, heavily enforce your spam filters (you will still receive some spam and may get legitimate messages filtered) or put up with it.

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║