Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 04:18:24 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Your opinion on MNW's motivation to bet 10,000 BTC (one post per forum member)  (Read 408 times)
ianbakewell (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 23, 2012, 09:17:16 AM
Last edit: August 23, 2012, 09:38:41 AM by ianbakewell

If you do in fact have 10,000 Bitcoins in Casascius products, you personally account for 1/4 of all the active wealth inside them, as a fellow collector I find this extremely interesting.

If you were a collector, you should know about "Roll your own coins". I do not need to own 10,000 individual 1Ƀ coins or even 2,000 individual 5Ƀ coins. I can own a 0.3155111Ƀ and 9 separate 1,111.11111111Ƀ coins if I wanted to (TL;DR? I load my own coins.) Now, part of the reason I'm being purposely vague is for my privacy and protection. The other is because the conspiracy theories are fascinatingly entertaining for me.

I do not know why you chose to bring the denominations into it.
What you choose to put onto a Casascius product does not change the fact that it goes onto a known Casascius address.

Sure having multiple may make it hard for you to share a single firstbits for confirmation, but none the less, the coins would be visible in the trackers.
The trackers are showing 40k active, you are claiming 10k.

Privacy and protection ...
hmmm I suppose that is vague enough to seem reasonable, god knows there would be no way to safely hide those coins again should they ever be found to exist.

This is the product Matthew is speaking about if anyone is curious:

I just thought of a new product I'd like to offer, and you can order it right now on my website for 0.13 BTC.  I will automatically treat any order of 5 or more "broken" coins as an order for roll-your-owns.

The "roll your own" Physical Bitcoin is simply a real Casascius coin without the hologram and without any funds.  Instead you get a fresh private key circle (so you can fund it) and a gold foil sticker to cover the key.

The big advantage?  CHEAP.  Especially in quantity, if you don't care about there being a Casascius hologram.  Perfect if you are trying to give BTC for birthdays or as freebies to others at the lowest cost, to someone who won't care about the lack of a hologram.

Simply order 5 or more of my "broken 1BTC sample" on my website.  Rather than receiving coins with a torn hologram, you will receive brand new fresh coins that have never been stickered.  You'll receive a sheet of gold stickers, and a pack of pre-cut private key circles to fit.  (I will typically provide a few extra stickers and keys than you paid for so you can feel free to test/ruin a few).

The circles are laser-cut and have the private minikey on one side and the firstbits on the other, and each one is unique.  To fund it, you look up the full bitcoin address via the firstbits from https://www.casascius.com/fulllist.txt.  Same policy as on my other keys - I do not keep the private key, for each key you get, it is the only copy that exists - you're also welcome to create your own keys if you feel inclined.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: