Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:03:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you ever looked at the Bitcoin testnet?  (Read 1084 times)
Qunenin

Activity: 966
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 03:06:00 PM

Testnet are for testing and unless you're a developer or someone who really wants to learn through practice you don't need to use it.
But what do you mean by trying to monetize it? As in using it to learn how to create an altcoin or something?
How much skill do you need in order to use this?  I hear all this talk about being a developer and I am not sure what that exactly entails.  I am looking to learn more.
Anyone can use testnet and you use it in exactly the same way you use mainnet. Just start Bitcoin Core with the -testnet option or, if you installed Core 0.13.0, use the provided testnet shortcut.

Why would you want to use testnet though if you aren't a developer?

I think you might be more interested in looking at the first 500 blocks of the actual blockchain.  The testnet has basically the same chain, but there are occasional features tested.  You may scan through the chain as closely as you want, really it is better to know which sets of blocks had active testing of this and that

.1xBit.com.
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
!
SAMKUSH

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 03:32:20 PM

Bitcoin testnet can be used to try out trading with coins that are worthless, I have tested trading programs by using testnet bitcoins as there are trading sites that offer a completely different site purely for testnet bitcoins.
posternat

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 03:39:38 AM

Bitcoin testnet can be used to try out trading with coins that are worthless, I have tested trading programs by using testnet bitcoins as there are trading sites that offer a completely different site purely for testnet bitcoins.

You can Google that and get a couple of different “schedules” of interesting points in the chain.  The same is true of the actual block chain.

davis196

Activity: 2982
Merit: 914

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 05:30:44 AM

I was reading something on reddit that said they've had three testnets now as people kept trying to monetize it.  It occurred to me that I'm barely aware of the testnet and have never checked it out.

Is this something that people here do regularly? Do you load up on testnet coins and fantasize about then being real?  Do you learn stuff from it?

I`ve never heard of testnet.What is this?

Is it a cryptocurrency developer environment?

What do you mean by "monetizing" it?

U2

Activity: 676
Merit: 503

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...

View Profile
October 22, 2016, 09:44:10 PM

I was reading something on reddit that said they've had three testnets now as people kept trying to monetize it.  It occurred to me that I'm barely aware of the testnet and have never checked it out.

Is this something that people here do regularly? Do you load up on testnet coins and fantasize about then being real?  Do you learn stuff from it?

I`ve never heard of testnet.What is this?

Is it a cryptocurrency developer environment?

What do you mean by "monetizing" it?

In layman's terms it's a test Blockchain that's supposed to be for developers to test re: bitcoin transactions etc. There's very little no value to them.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: