Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:19:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Local Electricty company shut me down for mining.  (Read 5955 times)
ChineseSavior (OP)

Activity: 366
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 07:26:00 PM

I can assure all of you that the letter was very real.

The farm will be getting ran into the ground. Will post results when

A) Electricity gets shut off

B) Get raided for 2nd time.

shout out to all the haters and nay-sayers. You are what makes this community great.
And what exactly would they Raid? Washington has legal marijuana, I still think they are confusing you for a grow operation, raiding miners doesn't make much sense.

I have researched this further but have not finalized my research yet. Apparently all high density load customers now need to fill out an application to be approved for the new high density load rates. Stay tuned. These policies goes into effect Jan 1st 2017. These policies are very political and crooked imo.

https://youtu.be/mhwZivuaip8

Dedicated Asic Services company is a company located in this county. They are the pros in the video above. Still have not finished the video. Although I have a suspicion I'm going to hear a lot of bs.

should out to the haters sippin that haterade
The 'applying for higher load' bit does not surprise me. In a way it matches with what you said about them updating the power lines in your area and this is their way to get info on what wire, transformer, and fusing sizes to put in.

My local power company likes to send out usage emails every week and typically I am a constant 3x higher usage than the 'Average' user in my area (and 4x higher than the lowest reported).

Like Savior, I have 200A service, miner load is 3.5kW so yes, using a lot but well under the service maximum. Aside from the friendly usage notes, never heard a word from the power co about usage.

All I can say is that if for some reason you *do* get raided make sure all your ducks are in a row so ya can laugh at them...
eg, if legally growing, follow all rules: (# of plants), location (near a school?), Notice signage (State rules regarding growing), etc. If a legal user, have your MM card and/or be sure to be under max weight of weed in the house.

the good news is I have never heard of a raid in wa unless it was some type of parole or assault situation with a person hiding in said property. I hate to sound stereotypical but I'm pretty sure they have the crazo's nailded down in their jail and system vs just jailing people over a sniff and political push of some sort.

Ill be fine. Thanks everybody for your continued concern. The video was good btw and everyone seemed concerned. If anything does happen to me its ok because I'm looking to do a solar setup like philipma1957 soon. to be 100% off the grid Even when you pay practically nothing for electricity. When you run the numbers it sure does look appealing. And the fact you are 100% off the grid makes it even more appealing.

I was actually thinking of the solar setup a lot during the video. Give it a few more years and solar will be the best way to go. Assuming our gov gets its act together somewhat. I think I was paying for a panel in like 6 months with a machine. so I take a slight loss on the first batch and sell off the units. but pay for the panels. 2nd batch is 100% roi. from then on just keep adding panels and repeat.

that said its always going to be difficult to roi in any industry like this. which is why I like to keep it as a hobby. it would be a shame if I went down in the history books for a measly 10 machines

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dance191

Activity: 261

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 08:00:32 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2016, 09:09:51 PM by dance191

The PUD sent you a letter and said you are using a lot of electricity.  Is the PUD threading to disconnect your service?  What is it exactly they are saying they are going to do?

I know they sent a letter, said there is a moratorium, etc, but what did they say they are/will do about it?

By the way, there is only a moratorium on new loads between 1 and 5 MW.  This does not apply to you as your service is not new and under 1 MW.  

A letter saying you use a lot of power by itself is nothing.  I get those every month, it is called the power bill Smiley

By the way, I wouldn't say the OP is lying.  Chelan pretty much hates bitcoin miners.  They think it is only used for drugs, they call it "internet funny money", etc.  The PUD is really clueless there.
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 08:07:11 PM

the continued reality is it costs less and less headache to get into solar if you really enjoy this hobby.

dev-kevin

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 07, 2016, 10:32:47 PM

so, what's going on?
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 02:17:19 AM

so, what's going on?

wdym?
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 03:27:20 AM

I think i missed this : why did they raided you the first time what was the out come ?. yea i know what it's like to have your home invaded by the law or be watched for pot growing . we were, our garden had some plants that looked question able . for about two weeks we had shit fly over our house some times just set there in the air over the garden up high. till we asked a cop friend wtf was up, he looked into then it, stopped they were watching us for pot growing because of a summer garden with plants that looked like pot leaves. no joke .!!! . no lie. sense then it hasn't happen.!!!we have two acres of land so the garden was kind of big for a house in suburbans.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 04:03:38 AM

shout out to all the haters and nay-sayers. You are what makes this community great.
And what exactly would they Raid? Washington has legal marijuana, I still think they are confusing you for a grow operation, raiding miners doesn't make much sense.

I have researched this further but have not finalized my research yet. Apparently all high density load customers now need to fill out an application to be approved for the new high density load rates. Stay tuned. These policies goes into effect Jan 1st 2017. These policies are very political and crooked imo.

https://youtu.be/mhwZivuaip8

Dedicated Asic Services company is a company located in this county. They are the pros in the video above. Still have not finished the video. Although I have a suspicion I'm going to hear a lot of bs.

should out to the haters sippin that haterade
The 'applying for higher load' bit does not surprise me. In a way it matches with what you said about them updating the power lines in your area and this is their way to get info on what wire, transformer, and fusing sizes to put in.

My local power company likes to send out usage emails every week and typically I am a constant 3x higher usage than the 'Average' user in my area (and 4x higher than the lowest reported).

Like Savior, I have 200A service, miner load is 3.5kW so yes, using a lot but well under the service maximum. Aside from the friendly usage notes, never heard a word from the power co about usage.

All I can say is that if for some reason you *do* get raided make sure all your ducks are in a row so ya can laugh at them...
eg, if legally growing, follow all rules: (# of plants), location (near a school?), Notice signage (State rules regarding growing), etc. If a legal user, have your MM card and/or be sure to be under max weight of weed in the house.

mine does the exat sme thing in fact we got notice at the door in person the other day between now and the end of the year they will be replacing a pole just out side our door and wires, we had a issue with  2 years ago one of the wire burnt out to our house we had a very high bill that month as well we never fought it, because we didn't know, bitcoin mining has taught me a lot .

sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 04:31:26 AM

That's why when we upgraded service at the shop I ran the lines from the transformer myself, with wires about 15% overrated for the rated service load. The transformers should blow up before anything I have to pay to replace. The utility provider has not been upset at all that I'm pulling 100KW continuous.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 05:39:38 PM

That's why when we upgraded service at the shop I ran the lines from the transformer myself, with wires about 15% overrated for the rated service load. The transformers should blow up before anything I have to pay to replace. The utility provider has not been upset at all that I'm pulling 100KW continuous.

Where are you located

btc mining has taught me a lot as well. Like how crooked politicians are.

Or how we have all been lied to about our power grid and it cant even support a measly 80% capacity like its supposed to.

Which rolls us into our next phase of the Data-center conspiracy.....

If all the YUUUUGGGGEEE Datacenters are all over the place where are they drawing their power from?

In theory there should be GIANT Carrier lines going to these facilities. Like lines as big around as a school bus. Instead what do we see? a Measly transformer outside without many carrier lines going in.

I will not say who it was but someone very very close to me was high up in the industy. Seems like they are all sworn to secrecy. When I started bombarding him with the electricity questions I began interrogating about the underground fusion centers.

Their reaction told all. (pun intended)
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 06:16:58 PM

Ignore the letter. Pay the bill. Send all your coins to cold storage every day, so if you do get raided your coins are safe. If mining in a pool, there should be an auto-withdraw address. It's been 2 years since I was mining any proof-of-work coins, not counting experimenting with new ones that appear.

are you being serious about this. the more thought I put into things the more I come to the conclusion it would be silly for them to raid over electricity once they confirm no massive grow op.

I have always LOL'ed at the grow op anyway. Simply because you would have to stack an entire house with a muli-story (meaning two levels of grow per 8ft ceiling) to have the same power density as a btc farm LOL.

btw its next to impossible to have two 4ft grows stacks on top of each other and highly impractical.

That being said nobody looking at the raw data at power station probably runs the numbers to that level, or maybe they do. Regardless if you did you could clearly see its impossible for it to be a grow LOL.

Looks like I'm going to have to pay a $5/kw flat rate plus a $30/month charge every month. Not bad. Starts jan 1st. May be a little off on pricing because of bad memory but think that's right.
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1849

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

My shop's on a rural electric coop in southern Missouri. No problems at all.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 10:54:36 PM

There is NO BLOODY WAY you "got raided" for having high power consumption.

I don't care how much you CLAIM about "there is nothing else going on", you got raided for SOME OTHER REASON.

Chelan PUD doesn't hate bitcoin miners, the PUD just hates the effects on their infrastructure and the reduction in revenues 'cause they have less "spare" capasity left over to sell for much higher rates that drops their revenue due to the large number of large Bitcoin-related farms that have moved into the area or started up in the area over the last 6 years or so.
 This is not to say that individual members of the PUD and individuals in the area aren't clueless about bitcoin....

Next time they whine about it only being used for drugs, try pointing out that large retailers like Amazon and Newegg (and I believe I remember seeing *WALMART* is now accepting Bitcoin as a payment option on their website) accept Bitcoin payments.
 Not exactly "drug specific" there.

Can also point out that the IRS considers Bitcoin legitimate and has made a ruling on it for tax purposes.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Brob12321

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 03:05:18 AM

I don't understand how they can shut down your power if your legally and lawfully utilizing it and you are paying your bill on time.  You may be able to file a lawsuit against them especially if you have a medical condition which requires you to run equipment in your house.  They could have very well killed you by shutting down your life support machines. 
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 04:13:25 AM

are you being serious about this. the more thought I put into things the more I come to the conclusion it would be silly for them to raid over electricity once they confirm no massive grow op.

If you pay your electric bill, they have NO REASON to raid you. Some grow ops steal their electricity. You're paying, right? They would like your money.

Besides, mining doesn't store any real data. Just send your mined coins to cold storage or another wallet, you know how that works.

ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 04:50:45 AM

dell takes bitcoin now too  Smiley

while watching the video the point came up of earning more off selling off the capacity instead of investing in tech.

I don't see how this could be so. I must be missing something.

For example if you are selling off power at X you are only profiting from X

By comparison if you are selling off power at Y (y is cheaper power) to tech company, tech company is also seeing high ROI and jobs, also they bring in their families etc.

The positive economic effect seems far greater if you sell off to tech. Even if risky

The fact remains like the one gentlemen said in the video you never sell it all off to any one thing. Basically he was trying to say you diversify the capacity.

truckinusa

Activity: 534
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 10:56:47 AM

I work at an industrial facility.  Currently we are using 7846KW or 7,846,000W.  They call us and ask us if there is a problem when we shut the plant down for an extended period of time or if one of our two plants is running like now.  Our normal usage is like 14800KW with both plants running.  They will sell us all we can take at 2 cents a kw which is the commercial rate here.  Bill is only like $400,000 a month.

bitJob                       ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
                ▄▄▄▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄
        ▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
  ▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
  ▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀
      ▀▀█████████████████████████████████████████████
         ████████████████████████████████████████  ██
         ▀██████████████████████████████████████▀  ██
          ▀▀██████████████████████████████████▀▀  ████
                                                 ▄████▄
                                                ▀▀████▀▀
IIII
toptek
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 11:32:04 AM
Last edit: October 09, 2016, 12:47:57 PM by toptek

it all comes down to one thing Money for some reason they think they are losing something , because some one is doing better then they are and they can't get in on the action, even if you follow all the rules,  they will all ways look for ways to get more. I never knew how dishonest at lot in the GOV are till I started messing with bitcoins.

well GL  hope you get it sorted and fixed .

cya

ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 04:42:47 PM

it all comes down to one thing Money for some reason they think they are losing something , because some one is doing better then they are and they can't get in on the action, even if you follow all the rules,  they will all ways look for ways to get more. I never knew how dishonest at lot in the GOV are till I started messing with bitcoins.

well GL  hope you get it sorted and fixed .

cya

I'm just trying to avoid jail over some hobby nonsense loud fan thingy or even worse the new community detention. The video and continued support makes me feel a bit better. lets c what happens
ChineseSavior (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 04:53:37 AM

Well Hate to Break it to you guys. I misread the message that was sent to me by my family.

Apparently this was a voice message left by a Sherriff. Saying that they have Memorandum on residential and if it was not shut down immediately it would be shut down for me. I would find it difficult to believe my family member is lying to me etc.

How can this be? Everyone in the entire thread says I should be cool with no problems. How could this be.   Huh Embarrassed Undecided
fr4nkthetank
Legendary

Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182

Now the money is free, and so the people will be

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 05:24:21 AM

call em up yourself, ask very nicely what they think the problem is.  maybe there is confusion.  be honest, dont be confrontational.  for example
-Call sheriff
-hi, i<m mister x from x address, you guys left a message for me, ill be honest, im a little confused, could you guys explain to me what it is that im doing wrong, or did you get a complaint from the power company or what..im just confused here i dont know whats goign on.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: