Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 02:28:48 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: RIP Monero?  (Read 4647 times)
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 05:40:46 AM

I can't stand the Monero posters on here, or at least I used to not be able to stand them (they aren't as spammy now as they used to be) but this is a joke of course it is not dead. This is crypto after all if a hack or theft killed a coin then there wouldn't be a single coin left.

Agreed and what bugs me is these assholes think if they lay low i am suppose to forget about years worth of bullshit from them.

The behavior of the dev's etc speak volumes..

FUD first & ask questions later™
Frederik_FL

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 08:28:50 AM

I've put my money in another unknown coin. (NAV)

Looks promising with the release of their anonymous network by the end of this month
http://www.coindesk.com/press-releases/nav-coins-anon-send-it-works/

I think it's the moment to jump on this train
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2016, 12:12:38 PM

So here's the argument? Am I getting this right? Please, someone tell me if I've got a detail wrong as it can't possibly be correct as I'm reading it--a coin meant to keep dark markets dark succeeded in keeping a dark market dark and that is a sign of its doom? Let me repeat in case you misread it (or I missed the point of this thread): a coin meant to keep dark markets dark succeeded in keeping a dark market dark and that is a sign of its doom?

Here's a link to page 1 in case someone got lost in one of the sideshows: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1637512.msg16468462#msg16468462

btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
October 08, 2016, 06:24:10 PM

What a bullshit FUD. Got anything better to FUD over? Bitcoin would be dead 100x so far if it was like this.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
EmilioMann (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1028

#mitandopelomundo

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 12:30:27 PM

What about the millions of XMR that Oasis stole from users and will be dumped on the market?
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 12:46:41 PM

What about the millions of XMR that Oasis stole from users and will be dumped on the market?

Millions? You sure about that number? The article that you linked isn't sure, so unless you were involved, how would you know?

Not that it matters--my point stands (and the bigger the number, the bigger my point). Monero was designed to keep markets dark, so saying that it is "doomed because it kept a dark market dark" is the type of stupid I expect to hear on tv shows dedicated to alien abduction and bigfoot sightings.

HeroCat

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 12:54:34 PM

The only thing, which is quite clear is that Monero price is back at around 0.011 BTC. In short term Monero price will go up again, but not so high - see details here from the past three months - https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/monero/  Grin
obit33

Activity: 514
Merit: 258

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 12:54:46 PM

only 13 million xmr have been mined already, since you say millionS that would mean at least 2 million xmr were stolen, right? So you're saying that in the few weeks that OASIS accepted XMR they gathered at least 15.3% of the total current xmr-supply...

If you're gonna FUD, at least try to make it the least bit credible...

TL;DR: you're stupid

best regards,

rustynailer

Activity: 725
Merit: 501

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 01:32:06 PM

I am confused.

If Oasis did an exit scam, why are people crying fud in here? And correct me if I am wrong but isnt Oasis one of the two major dnm's to accept Monero?

We dont need to be shooting the messenger here, even if it is EmilioMann.  
Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 01:42:08 PM

Millions? You sure about that number? The article that you linked isn't sure, so unless you were involved, how would you know?

Not that it matters--my point stands (and the bigger the number, the bigger my point). Monero was designed to keep markets dark, so saying that it is "doomed because it kept a dark market dark" is the type of stupid I expect to hear on tv shows dedicated to alien abduction and bigfoot sightings.

i have said and i will say it again.. it's dead / doomed BECAUSE it's supporting "Dark Markets"

So thanks for reinforcing *MY* point  Grin

obit33

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 01:44:00 PM

I am confused.

If Oasis did an exit scam, why are people crying fud in here? And correct me if I am wrong but isnt Oasis one of the two major dnm's to accept Monero?

if the messenger is spreading outright lies (millions of xmr) then one can shoot him...

and rustynailer, you know as well as I that a market doing an exit scam <> rip one of the currencies that was used on said market...

come on man, I get that you have some sort of beef with monero, but please don't play stupid and deliver some actual critique, I know you're smarter than this shit...

best regards

obit33

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 01:47:26 PM

i have said and i will say it again.. it's dead / doomed BECAUSE it's supporting "Dark Markets"

first of all, it's not 'supporting' darknetmarkets, darknetmarkets start using it because it's the digital currency with the best properties for said use-case... privacy, anonimity, untraceability --> fungibility etc.

and if xmr dies, it won't be because of this, otherwise why didn't bitcoin die already, why didn't cash die already ....

ah well, rational arguments are pointless I guess,

best regards

Spoetnik
Legendary

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 02:00:27 PM

So thanks for reinforcing *MY* point  Grin

first of all, it's not 'supporting' darknetmarkets, darknetmarkets start using it because it's the digital currency with the best properties for said use-case... privacy, anonimity, untraceability --> fungibility etc.

and if xmr dies, it won't be because of this, otherwise why didn't bitcoin die already, why didn't cash die already ....

best regards

If you are using it or involved with it then that is support.
Sorry there is now way to worm your way out of that glaring obvious point.

If as that idiot says.. Monero was designed to be used on Dark Markets and YOU use Monero then you are in fact supporting Monero and Dark Markets.

I will not support either of them in any way ever period .
But i actually have class & integrity unlike most of you greedy stupid dregs here.

And "dies" ?
Bitcoin is not fully ANON so it's a retarded comparison you just made.
But the Dark market usage with Bitcoin has in fact hampered it's adoption and stained it's reputation.
The public hears about that Silk Road shit before they hear it's a currency.

I have tried to tell you all what the public sees but you're all blind living in a bubble.

Don't take my word for it just go outside and talk to people on the street..

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 02:03:53 PM

best regards

Spoetnik quotations remind me why I have him blocked. If the market rose based on dark markets, then it hardly seems doomed by them now does it? And if keeping them dark dooms them, then those investors who bought in on that hype are unclear of xmr's point--seems there is enough stupid to go around and then some. This is why rationale investors always win eventually--because stupid is as stupid does, consistently, over and over, for the whole course of humanity, which is take a short-sighted evaluation and equate it to long term patterns--this is why sputz failed to grasp why Monero would rise and why traders continually get beat by Monero every time there is a rise--they simply can't process information that takes more than two months to digest.

obit33

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 02:08:36 PM

So thanks for reinforcing *MY* point  Grin

best regards

If you are using it or involved with it then that is support.
Sorry there is now way to worm your way out of that glaring obvious point.

If as that idiot says.. Monero was designed to be used on Dark Markets and YOU use Monero then you are in fact supporting Monero and Dark Markets.

I will not support either of them in any way ever period .
But i actually have class & integrity unlike most of you greedy stupid dregs here.

And "dies" ?
Bitcoin is not fully ANON so it's a retarded comparison you just made.
But the Dark market usage with Bitcoin has in fact hampered it's adoption and stained it's reputation.
The public hears about that Silk Road shit before they hear it's a currency.

I have tried to tell you all what the public sees but you're all blind living in a bubble.

Don't take my word for it just go outside and talk to people on the street..

without DNM's btc would be dead already, it would have never got the traction needed... people would still be paying everything with credit cards, because it's easier, faster, more familiar...

the only reason people started using bitcoin was because of DNM's, sure, you got some libertarian hard money fans who wanted to use such currency and saw how it could be a defense against the paper currency scam, but that ain't the reason bitcoin got mainstream-traction... It started with DNM's, it grew on DNM's, and then it got to more mainstream...

I think you are the one who got things turned upside down...

rustynailer

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 02:09:12 PM

I am confused.

if the messenger is spreading outright lies (millions of xmr) then one can shoot him...

and rustynailer, you know as well as I that a market doing an exit scam <> rip one of the currencies that was used on said market...

come on man, I get that you have some sort of beef with monero, but please don't play stupid and deliver some actual critique, I know you're smarter than this shit...

best regards

Okay then,

Alphabay are now the undisputed largest DNM which makes them the tall poppy that Law Enforcement will be in no doubt going after. Its a centralized market and its just a matter of time before it is taken down or the operators jump ship. And without Alphabay, Monero would soon disappear into irrelevance as some far superior platforms take its place, its a one trick pony after all.
obit33

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 02:42:18 PM

I am confused.

best regards

Okay then,

Alphabay are now the undisputed largest DNM which makes them the tall poppy that Law Enforcement will be in no doubt going after. Its a centralized market and its just a matter of time before it is taken down or the operators jump ship. And without Alphabay, Monero would soon disappear into irrelevance as some far superior platforms take its place, its a one trick pony after all.

Yes, law enforcement will be going after them, so what currency would you use, a currency where a transaction history can be looked up? Eventually possibly connecting some addresses to a source address where you possibly needed to go to a KYC-process to obtain your coins? Or a currency that is fully private, has an opaque blockchain an your transaction history can't be looked up, so there's no possibility to connect it to your identity, even if you had to go through a KYC-process... Vendors and consumers benefit from monero in this case, als the dnm-owners benefit from monero in this case... I can't see how this is an argument against using monero? It protects you from said LE-agencies...

Why would monero disappear without alphabay? why didn't bitcoin disappear without SR? Why wouldn't other DNM's spring to life using monero... sure, monero could get a (heavy) blow, but the use case will always be there...

I would love to see superior platforms come to life, but why wouldn't monero fit in with those? Do you really believe that a decentralised market intrinsically has to be coupled with just one currency? I don't, I hope there will exist lots of DMP's (to avoid state control/oppression) with different properties, and they will probably use different currencies...

I hate to see why people want some coin not to succeed just because they're invested in something else, I love competition, especially currency-competition, so why always look for a stick to hit the dog and try to come up with fake arguments (sorry, but that's what your arguments are, fake...)? Monero is the go to private currency at the moment, if something better surfaces, I'll praise it, but untill now I found nothing that is true competition for monero...

and it's not a one trick pony, monero beats bitcoin, technologically and 'monetarilly', bitcoin has the network-effect though...

rustynailer

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 02:56:00 PM

I am confused.

best regards

Okay then,

Yes, law enforcement will be going after them, so what currency would you use, a currency where a transaction history can be looked up? Eventually possibly connecting some addresses to a source address where you possibly needed to go to a KYC-process to obtain your coins? Or a currency that is fully private, has an opaque blockchain an your transaction history can't be looked up, so there's no possibility to connect it to your identity, even if you had to go through a KYC-process... Vendors and consumers benefit from monero in this case, als the dnm-owners benefit from monero in this case... I can't see how this is an argument against using monero? It protects you from said LE-agencies...

Why would monero disappear without alphabay? why didn't bitcoin disappear without SR? Why wouldn't other DNM's spring to life using monero... sure, monero could get a (heavy blow), but the use case will always be there...

I would love to see superior platforms come to life, but why wouldn't monero fit in with those? Do you really believe that a decentralised market intrinsically has to be coupled with just one currency? I don't, I hope there will exist lots of DMP's (to avoid state control/oppression) with different properties, and they will probably use different currencies...

I hate to see why people want some coin not to succeed just because they're invested in something else, I love competition, especially currency-competition, so why always look for a stick to hit the dog and try to come up with fake arguments (sorry, but that's what your arguments are, fake...)? Monero is the go to private currency at the moment, if something better surfaces, I'll praise it, but untill now I found nothing that is true competition for monero...

and it's not a one trick pony, monero beats bitcoin, technologically and 'monetarilly', bitcoin has the network-effect though...

What if there was a completely decentralized anonymous market that couldn't be exit scammed or shut down?  The platform to take down Monero is already here. Umbra
obit33

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 03:08:52 PM

What if there was a completely decentralized anonymous market that couldn't be exit scammed or shut down?  The platform to take down Monero is already here. Umbra

I think that's a nice initiative, but I read up on SDC, it has/had some problems, don't like the P&D hypes with countdown clocks either... but as said before, I love competition, so let SDC bring it on, I'll praise it if it works out...
And again, even if this works, I don't believe it will automatically bring down monero... other DMP's can spring in existence (openbazaar) for example, where one can choose which currency to use, I don't believe a DMP has to be hardcoupled with one specific currency...

best regards,
rustynailer

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 03:19:53 PM

What if there was a completely decentralized anonymous market that couldn't be exit scammed or shut down?  The platform to take down Monero is already here. Umbra

I think that's a nice initiative, but I read up on SDC, it has/had some problems, don't like the P&D hypes with countdown clocks either... but as said before, I love competition, so let SDC bring it on, I'll praise it if it works out...
And again, even if this works, I don't believe it will automatically bring down monero... other DMP's can spring in existence (openbazaar) for example, where one can choose which currency to use, I don't believe a DMP has to be hardcoupled with one specific currency...

best regards,

Maybe you should read up a little more history because you will find more P&D hypes with Monero.

But lets get down to the tech.  Can you explain to me any of the advantages Monero has over Shadow, I am struggling to see any. 

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: