Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 09:37:02 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ZCash - so many ways to fail  (Read 1445 times)
Random_newb (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 01:37:45 AM

1. ZCash at launch will have a whole host of competitors (that actually have users, infrastructure built, etc).
2. With the founders reward of 10%, having this be globally accepted and no less a replacement for Bitcoin is ridiculous.
3. Clones. This is a certainty. (If at all people even deem this coin worthy to copy).

Sure, total anonymity is preferred by some and one could say has a niche market. What's wrong with Monero here? ZCash will be a cluster fuck of epic proportions, and anyone that invests in it early on, will be looking to dump the f*** out of it at a slightly higher price. Bag holders, come grab some ZCash.
kjadB

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 04:05:22 AM

1. ZCash at launch will have a whole host of competitors (that actually have users, infrastructure built, etc).
2. With the founders reward of 10%, having this be globally accepted and no less a replacement for Bitcoin is ridiculous.
3. Clones. This is a certainty. (If at all people even deem this coin worthy to copy).

Sure, total anonymity is preferred by some and one could say has a niche market. What's wrong with Monero here? ZCash will be a cluster fuck of epic proportions, and anyone that invests in it early on, will be looking to dump the f*** out of it at a slightly higher price. Bag holders, come grab some ZCash.

I'm saving every penny I have for the first fairly launched zcash clone without the 10% premine.
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 02:20:31 PM

I'm saving every penny I have for the first fairly launched zcash clone without the 10% premine.

The premine is only part of the story. The trusted setup is another part.  And finally, the optional anonymity is a total failure of the concept of fungible and anonymous transactions: those few anonymous transactions will stand out loud and clear on the chain ; easily blocked.  Also, although ZKP has the *potential* of having a much larger anonymity set (than for instance monero), if only a few users use it for real, it has actually a much smaller anonymity set.  It is not much better than mixers like with DASH in that case.

Finally, much of the crypto it entirely new.  It should stand the test of time to see whether there are no big holes in it.

That said, a zcash-like clone without post-premine, which can solve the issue of the trusted setup (I have some ideas) and which makes the anonymity compulsory, would be very valuable.

And I wish all the best to zcash itself, which will bring the anonymity/fungibility discussion in the focus, and which will test the crypto. 
poptartcat

Activity: 105
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2016, 03:04:22 PM

Apparently multisig is unworkable using the anonymous tokens for zcash and zcoin, meaning that lots of stuff will be done on clearnet side.
Turbo2

Activity: 63

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 12:07:29 PM

ZCash will be launched and owned by a private company....Nothing decentralized about that.

No thanks, I'll use untraceable Monero instead  Smiley
sofu
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1085

Degenerate Crypto Gambler

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 12:10:31 PM

ZCash will be launched and owned by a private company....Nothing decentralized about that.

No thanks, I'll use untraceable Monero instead  Smiley

Let me guess. You are one of the new monero bagholder that bought above 0.02 Tongue

poptartcat

Activity: 105

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 01:45:13 PM

No thanks, I'll use untraceable Monero instead  Smiley

Let me guess. You are one of the new monero bagholder that bought above 0.02 Tongue

He kind of has a point, regardless of where he bought. You want your money minted and maintained by a private corporation?
rustynailer

Activity: 725
Merit: 501

Boycott Qatar 2022

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 01:57:32 PM

The premine is only part of the story. The trusted setup is another part.  And finally, the optional anonymity is a total failure of the concept of fungible and anonymous transactions: those few anonymous transactions will stand out loud and clear on the chain ; easily blocked.  Also, although ZKP has the *potential* of having a much larger anonymity set (than for instance monero), if only a few users use it for real, it has actually a much smaller anonymity set.  It is not much better than mixers like with DASH in that case.

Finally, much of the crypto it entirely new.  It should stand the test of time to see whether there are no big holes in it.

That said, a zcash-like clone without post-premine, which can solve the issue of the trusted setup (I have some ideas) and which makes the anonymity compulsory, would be very valuable.

And I wish all the best to zcash itself, which will bring the anonymity/fungibility discussion in the focus, and which will test the crypto. 

A Zcash clone might not be necessary.  Shadowcash was built from the ground up to use ZK snarks, they are both using a public/private chain and it shouldn't be too hard for Shadow to use ZK if it seems acceptable and workable.  

A year or two ago nobody would have accepted the trusted setup with Zcash but maybe times are changing.
Za1n
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 07:34:38 PM

I do not know if ZCash will succeed or fail, I have taken a look at it and I am neutral on its chances either way.

There does seem to be a lot of interest in it though, and your post here tells me you feel threatened by it in one form or another. Considering it has not even launched yet and people feel they need to preemptively troll it, it must be doing something right...
Futureblnr

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 07, 2018, 08:34:21 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2018, 05:15:24 PM by Futureblnr

Guys, wanna change my ZEC to eth...what platform would you suggest? I was advised to try BestRate.org , cause it will pick the best rate among the most popular exchanges platorms..but I've never heard about..Has anyone tried?
Peter Murr

Activity: 112

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:43:53 AM
Last edit: February 09, 2018, 05:23:02 PM by Peter Murr

Guys, wanna change my ZEC to eth...what platform would you suggest? I was advised to try bestrate.org , cause it will pick the best rate among the most popular exchanges platorms..but I've never heard about..Has anyone tried?

you know, it's really profitable to use https://bestrate.org/ in this case ..and actually in otheres as well. I usually use bestarate . org in order to chanhe huge sums through exchancge platforms, as If you exchange directly - they wll charge you a lot for the amout. But for some reason it's not obvious for all. But when you pay through bestrate. org , noone can check that it's the same person, so you got the best rate.
Gogochen

Activity: 238

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 10:57:07 AM

Although I'm optimistic about ZCash, ZCash is an anonymous token.
Anonymous tokens, mostly for money laundering and illegal crime, are likely to be hit by governments, so I am concerned about the future of ZCash. Sad

talkbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:04:17 AM

I do not know if ZCash will succeed or fail, I have taken a look at it and I am neutral on its chances either way.

There does seem to be a lot of interest in it though, and your post here tells me you feel threatened by it in one form or another. Considering it has not even launched yet and people feel they need to preemptively troll it, it must be doing something right...

you seem to have missed it but this topic was started nearly 2 years ago Grin
and actually it is quite funny that the owner of this throw away account chose a good name for his account "Random_newb".

ZCash doesn't interest me at all but like a lot of other coins out there it also exists and gets pumped and dumped even.

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████████████████████████
SmartO_Alyona

Activity: 70

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:07:06 AM

Do you think it's worth to earn on maining Zcash?
thepo1m

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:20:30 AM

With all the hype that sirrounds this project, it has failed to even be leading the privacy space, I still believe Monero is still a coin to beat in that space, another thing is the number of Zcash clones will have seen in the space
EMV

Activity: 183

View Profile
February 08, 2018, 11:34:40 AM

According to the road map which was published on the project website in December, 2017 the team of developers in ZCash plans a series of various innovations in 2018. In particular, it is about two important updates of network: Sapling and Overwinter.

As Zikesh it is directed to fight against the most widespread problems of the sphere of cryptocurrencies — a lack of confidentiality, this digital coin potentially has every chance of the big future. And, so it is possible to expect also growth of its price.

Besides, it is rumored that Ethereum is a partner of ZCash. From this partnership investors can expect improvement of scalability and individual control of all ecosystem of digital money already in the nearest future.

●   John McAfee Supports   ●
 ❰❰❰❰❰❰  Advertising Platform  ❱❱❱❱❱❱ 
● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●●●    ●  YOUC  ●    ●●● ▬▬▬▬▬ ● ▬▬▬▬▬ ●
Riddikulo

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2018, 04:08:03 AM

According to the road map which was published on the project website in December, 2017 the team of developers in ZCash plans a series of various innovations in 2018. In particular, it is about two important updates of network: Sapling and Overwinter.

As Zikesh it is directed to fight against the most widespread problems of the sphere of cryptocurrencies — a lack of confidentiality, this digital coin potentially has every chance of the big future. And, so it is possible to expect also growth of its price.

Besides, it is rumored that Ethereum is a partner of ZCash. From this partnership investors can expect improvement of scalability and individual control of all ecosystem of digital money already in the nearest future.

I remember I have read about it as well. For me Zcash is interested as a profitable coin to be mined. It is also a cool coin to invest into. Some guys are sure in its brilliant future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkkizIzl3bU
klim88

Activity: 63

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 11:13:19 AM

Guys, wanna change my ZEC to eth...what platform would you suggest? I was advised to try bestrate.org , cause it will pick the best rate among the most popular exchanges platorms..but I've never heard about..Has anyone tried?

you know, it's really profitable to use https://bestrate.org/ in this case ..and actually in otheres as well. I usually use bestarate . org in order to change huge sums through exchange platforms, as If you exchange directly - they wll charge you a lot for the amount. But for some reason it's not obvious for all. But when you pay through bestrate. org , noone can check that it's the same person, so you got the best rate.

Oh really? Sorry, I didn't get it. Why won't you be obligated to pay high fees using BestRate.org? I'm planning to make an exchange of my ZCash and would be glad to know more about the most profitable services
tamango

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 13, 2018, 12:10:21 PM

I bounght Zcash every time it goes deeply down because I believe this is one of 10 best coins to buy and hold for long term....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: