Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:02:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC not showing up in Armory, how do i rescan?  (Read 3165 times)
let em have it. (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 04:48:32 PM

So i've been mining for quite some time but still quite rubbish with computers.

This morning i downloaded Armory to machine and sent 5 BTC, i got the scanning block chain for about 1hr and then a not responding msg, finally synced briefly but no sign of BTC in wallet and then get a Armory not responding msg again.

When i look in Blockchain.info i can see the 5 BTC transfer with 77 confirmations, but no sign of them in Armory. In other posts i see people mentioning doing a rescan, how do i do that with Windows 7?

Thanks in advance for help and please bear with me, i'm sure i'll have a question regarding possible fix's.

P.S. Used Armory last year on my laptop quite a bit and really liked it, bit disappointed its not working so great now and more importantly to have possibly lost 5 BTC.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
etotheipi
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 04:52:13 PM

So i've been mining for quite some time but still quite rubbish with computers.

This morning i downloaded Armory to machine and sent 5 BTC, i got the scanning block chain for about 1hr and then a not responding msg, finally synced briefly but no sign of BTC in wallet and then get a Armory not responding msg again.

When i look in Blockchain.info i can see the 5 BTC transfer with 77 confirmations, but no sign of them in Armory. In other posts i see people mentioning doing a rescan, how do i do that with Windows 7?

Thanks in advance for help and please bear with me, i'm sure i'll have a question regarding possible fix's.

P.S. Used Armory last year on my laptop quite a bit and really liked it, bit disappointed its not working so great now and more importantly to have possibly lost 5 BTC.

Your coins are not lost.  Armory still has never lost coins unless users have explicitly deleted something.

The problem is usually that it's not fully sync'd.  The updates that I'm pushing out right now should simplify this considerably (Armory will manage bitcoin-qt/bitcoind itself, and only connect when it's properly synchronized).   If you restart Armory it will rescan.  But it can only read it if Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind is up to date.  Wait for the green checkmark.  And make sure that Armory is pointing to the same -datadir as you're using for Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind (using --satoshi-datadir in Armory).

If it took an hour to scan, I would guess your online computer doesn't have 4 GB of RAM.  Or you're using all your RAM for other things.  That too will be fixed, it's just not, yet.  Until then, you have to have a spare 2 GB for Armory.

Worst case, you can always export the private keys from Armory and import them into another app, if you really can't use Armory.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
let em have it. (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 05:03:39 PM

Thanks for reassuring news the 5 aren't lost.

Machine does have 4 Gb of RAM but its a damn slow machine, possibly due to rubbish CPU.

Armory still showing "scanning block chain" but under that it says "connected 0 blocks".

I'll get back on it tomorrow, late here and off to bed.

Thanks for speedy response and your work on Armory.
let em have it. (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 01:58:23 AM

So i think its the RAM issue, system says running 4GB, 3GB usable. Just checked machine and says online, the minute i click on something i get the "not responding" msg and have to close it down.

I have an older Armory (0.82.2) running on my laptop which does have 4GB RAM and i used last year. So taking into account i'm pretty computer spaz, to get back my 5 BTC do i copy the Armory.wallet file into Armory on my laptop?

thanks again.
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 02:19:46 AM

So i think its the RAM issue, system says running 4GB, 3GB usable. Just checked machine and says online, the minute i click on something i get the "not responding" msg and have to close it down.

I have an older Armory (0.82.2) running on my laptop which does have 4GB RAM and i used last year. So taking into account i'm pretty computer spaz, to get back my 5 BTC do i copy the Armory.wallet file into Armory on my laptop?

thanks again.

Yeah, you can copy the wallet file to another version of Armory.  Or you can load Armory in offline mode (from the Start menu) and then you can "Backup Individual Keys" to get the private keys out of your wallet.  A lot of other apps allow key importing.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
etotheipi
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 03:44:35 AM

thanks again.

By the way, you will not be able to use versions of Armory older than 0.86 with the latest Bitcoin-Qt.  You should get the latest:  0.87.2.  The latest bitcoin-qt updates broke older versions of Armory.

nmak

Activity: 30

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 12:37:18 PM

What happens with all the receiving addresses vs the backup made. If the receiving addresses are no longer showing up after reinstallation, does that mean I have lost the BTCs.
I have my one time paper backup, but I am just wondering whether that covers only the receiving addresses that existed at the time of the paper backup. Meaning that everytime you create a new receiving address, one needs to make a new paper backup.

I think I may have lost some btc bcoz of that  :-), hope not.
Automatic

Activity: 238
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 24, 2013, 01:31:41 PM

What happens with all the receiving addresses vs the backup made. If the receiving addresses are no longer showing up after reinstallation, does that mean I have lost the BTCs.
I have my one time paper backup, but I am just wondering whether that covers only the receiving addresses that existed at the time of the paper backup. Meaning that everytime you create a new receiving address, one needs to make a new paper backup.

I think I may have lost some btc bcoz of that  :-), hope not.

I believe the data you print is actually just a seed for all BTC values to come, meaning that you just have to go into your client and generate X many addresses, then let it scan the blockchain for those addresses. It should create the exact same public & private key again, and, you should receive all your coins back.

Please ask for a signed message from my on-site Bitcoin address (Check my profile) before doing any offsite trades with me.
nmak

Activity: 30

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 04:48:24 AM

thanks, yeah I emailed armory and they replied what you said:

I got this response from the armory team:

"

Matt Hensley <matt@bitcoinarmory.com>
Nov 25 (1 day ago)

to support, me

Images are not displayed. Display images below - Always display images from matt@bitcoinarmory.com
Hello Nhial,

Good news - your BTC are safe and sound.  Armory is based on a deterministic wallet.  That means that there is a "seed" and all the addresses are generated from that seed.  So if you had two computers with the same wallet - they would generate the same unique addresses even if they couldn't communicate...because they use the same seed.  If you have sent/received a transaction, that address will always show up when you import and view your wallet.  If you have other addresses without any transaction history, those won't necessarily be visible.  So you haven't lost BTC - you just don't see the unused addresses from the previous installation.  Great job for keeping a paper backup.  That backup will restore the wallet and any transaction history for that wallet, to include all the addresses created by that deterministic wallet.  So you don't have to create a new paper backup for every new address.  One backup per wallet.  So again, no worries - your BTC are still as safe as ever in Armory.  Be sure to encrypt your wallet and use offline storage for maximum protection.  Also, when you encrypt, be careful not to lose your password - it cannot be recovered if lost.

I hope this has helped answer some of your questions.  If you have others, don't hesitate to contact us here at Armory.  Thanks and have a great weekend!

Regard,

Matt
"

Great quick response. So it looks like all good.
Doozy

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 22, 2017, 11:08:37 AM

Hi,

Please help me if you can. I'm a relative newbie to cryptocurrencies. I started 2 weeks ago. I started with 2 wallets and successfully received bitcoins in those wallets. But I thought it might be a good idea to have a third wallet so my coins are distributed amongst the 3 wallets in case one gets hacked.

Anyway I decided to download an Armory wallet. Firstly, my laptop has slowed down massively since I downloaded it.

But a bigger problem is that I sent some bitcoins from one wallet to my Armory wallet. I definitely copied the address accurately. But the bitcoins haven't appeared in my Armory wallet despite me shutting the wallet down and booting it back up several times, and making a couple of attempts to rescan transactions. I haven't yet gone through the 4 hour process of rebuilding the whole databases and transactions, but I will try that next.

Is there any reassurance anyone can give me that my bitcoins are safe somewhere in the network and advice on how I can retrieve them / get them into my Armory wallet.

Thanks,

Phil
gangtraet

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 07:08:23 AM

First, please don't revive a four year old discussion.  Start a new thread.

Second: Don't panic.  Your coins are not lost.  If you give up getting Armory up and running, you can always export the private keys to one of the other wallets to recover your funds.

Third: Armory builds on top of Bitcoin Core, and gets its data from Bitcoin Core.  You need to get it online first, and then it has to sync.  This takes many days, and used 150 GB disk space.  Look at the forum, there is one or two threads every day discussing this, and giving instructions.

Good luck!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: