Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:16:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralized markets  (Read 637 times)
jrlichtman (OP)

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2011, 07:04:28 PM

I'm not sure if this is of interest (I spotted some posts on this topic elsewhere here, but can't reply directly yet).

Just posted a lengthy description of how a fairly sophisticated peer to peer equity market (with minimal chokepoints) could operate. Not completely new, I know. I had some ideas for trading mechanisms though that might be useful to somebody.

http://lichtman.ca/business/open-peer-to-peer-markets

I'm interested to hear feedback / comments / criticism. I already know some of the points won't be some people's cup of tea (i.e. need for at least some voluntary regulation).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lea Calot

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:42:00 AM

I read your post. I would come from the other end. Instead of making centralized somehow P2P, build a simple distributed system that acts as a market.

For price-discovery you could just use a simple call-market: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/callmarket.asp#axzz1Q4BdJydP
and slowly grow that into a continuous market (NASDAQ-like bid-ask matching). I did some research with distributed pub-sub frameworks and DHTs in the past. I find that feasible.

Regulation is going to be a pain. But as long as you keep it simple, you won't have to worry about it. For example if you make all bids final for a period, you may avoid front-running. If you do not allow derivatives being part of the market itself, you also save yourself a lot of trouble there.

Think like the old Mercedes-Diesel Engineers (like the guys pre-1990s not the guys who engineer the junk today): "Everything that is excluded from the design, cannot break." Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: