Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:12:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery Card: Nvidia Tesla M1060 Graphics Processing Unit GPU 4GB OEM  (Read 2101 times)
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2632
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 06:36:30 PM

Does anyone know anything about this card?  Supposedly because it's OEM, according to one user it will not run on just any Windows machine.  It also has one of those large
heatsinks around it so it doesn't fit into a lot of machines.  Will it fit into a general large desktop/tower case?  Also, do you think it would run on Linux?

Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 06:59:36 PM

I have no idea but its specs make it pretty irrelevant for mining.

For starters, it's made with a 55nm fabrication process so it's pretty far from being energy efficient, has 240 CUDA cores and uses a maximum of 188 watts. Sounds like ancient tech in mining at this point.

In comparison Pascal cards are made with a 16nm process, and for example a GTX 1070 has 1920 CUDA cores and the reference cards only use 150 watts (though consumption is higher for some factory overclocked versions).

Its CUDA compute capability version is only 1.3 which means it's not supported by any relevant ccminer fork (if any) and it's safe to say that there's no miner in existence that is even remotely optimized for that card.

It looks like a standard dualslot card though.

Not your keys, not your coins!
paramind22 (OP)

Activity: 2632
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2016, 07:02:20 PM

I have no idea but its specs make it pretty irrelevant for mining.

For starters, it's made with a 55nm fabrication process so it's pretty far from being energy efficient, has 240 CUDA cores and uses a maximum of 188 watts. Sounds like ancient tech in mining at this point.

In comparison Pascal cards are made with a 16nm process, and for example a GTX 1070 has 1920 CUDA cores and the reference cards only use 150 watts (though consumption is higher for some factory overclocked versions).

Its CUDA compute capability version is only 1.3 which means it's not supported by any relevant ccminer fork (if any) and it's safe to say that there's no miner in existence that is even remotely optimized for that card.

It looks like a standard dualslot card though.

Yes, but it's $35 new including shipping, lol.

bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
October 09, 2016, 07:12:05 PM

That doesn't say much though. You could probably get newer (but still super old) cards cheaper.

But even if they were free, since they're made with a 55nm fabrication process you would need access to stupidly cheap electricity to be able to make very little profit. At which point it would worth it much more if you'd invest in more powerful cards or even ASICs. And there's only so much cards you can stick in a system so you'd end up basically wasting money on the rest of the components.

They basically require a lot of electricity to do very little work.

But hey, since they're cheap you can try and play around with one.

Not your keys, not your coins!
MarkAz

Activity: 687
Merit: 511

View Profile
October 10, 2016, 12:16:03 AM

Yes, but it's $35 new including shipping, lol.

Using Bathrobehero's math above, it would take 8 of these $35 cards to make the equivalent of one GTX 1070, so it would cost you $280 of these cards... Granted, the 1070 costs more than this, but it's also MUCH more efficient, plus you'd be working it to build an 8 card rig (vs a 1 card rig), so you'd really need two - totally doesn't work out in the end.
mach123coin

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 24, 2018, 07:06:40 PM

That doesn't say much though. You could probably get newer (but still super old) cards cheaper.

But even if they were free, since they're made with a 55nm fabrication process you would need access to stupidly cheap electricity to be able to make very little profit. At which point it would worth it much more if you'd invest in more powerful cards or even ASICs. And there's only so much cards you can stick in a system so you'd end up basically wasting money on the rest of the components.

They basically require a lot of electricity to do very little work.

But hey, since they're cheap you can try and play around with one.

The m1060 card might not mine all the algorithms since it is an old compute 1.3 engine. I am experimenting with one for cryptonight mining.
The card only has drivers up to Windows 7 x64.
Good old CUDAminer might work for litecoin, which has gained price in the past few months to might make it worth your while.

Now the M2050, m2070,S2070, M2070 are interesting for the bang for the buck since the are compute 2.0 capable cards.
If you have low electricity costs, or free electricity from your lease, business you own, or renewable. Who cares?  Mine on a 300-1.5 KH a card on monero.

The m0250 ($53 on ebay as of 2/2018), they have a compute 2.0 Fermi core and do mine cryptonight at 313-300 hash with windows 10x64 which has drivers from Nvidia with up to CUDA 9.1 programming support. Nicehash arbitrarily doesn't want to mine on any card less than compute 5.0.
However,  there are third party miners like XMR-STAK which can be set to other pools, along with simple worker on Nicehash.
I have one cranking out hash for XMR, GRAFT, Intensecoin, and starting to test Ethereum.

Also the Tesla series of cards do have drivers for Linux, and can usually be installed in a VM like XEN for virtual video and 3D video support.
That means you can play video games on it from a regular desktop PC across the LAN, or cellphone/table like what Nvidia Shield does with the GeForce cards.

As a last resort, you can use a M2050 or later cards in Windows for Folding@home for disease research at Princeton. So far 50 major research papers have been spawn with clue on how to attack problems like Cancer, Alzheimers, Parkinsons, and metabolic diseases.  Consider it a gift of charity and humanity if the card doesn't mine worth the costs of electricity.  I know it works since I installed the 2/2018 version and it runs GROMACs on a compute 2.0 engine.

Have fun!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: