Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:53:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin central Security breasch!!!  (Read 841 times)
psilos (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:31:50 PM

Guys,

since a few hours , the bitcoin exchange site bitcoin central is down for maintenance due to security reasons!!!

Anybody has some further information about the issue?Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
XXthetimeisnowXX

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 07:37:08 PM

Guys,

since a few hours , the bitcoin exchange site bitcoin central is down for maintenance due to security reasons!!!

Anybody has some further information about the issue?Huh

no but this will push it to the top so we can get some one who does
discopete

Activity: 10

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:16:12 PM

hopefully they'll have fixed it before Europe wakes up tomorrow and nobody notices.

personally i believe that they have caught it before any actual accounts were compromised but it should still serve as a warning that any high profile bitcoin players will be a target for hackers.

there's an excellent thread here about securing your wallet :-)
psilos (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:58:34 PM

well, what i m concerned about is the panic reaction from the users once the site is up again
psilos (OP)

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:01:26 PM

April 1st?

Grin if that s the case, then the guys at the bitcoin central have really big guts
benwoody

Activity: 12

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:08:25 PM

According to their site:

[Apr-1 10:30 CET] Bitcoin-Central and Paytunia update: Our customer's bitcoins and euros are safe and will not be affected by the security breach. We have taken the websites off-line for proper investigation.

The address 1LrPYjto3hsLzWJNstghuwdrQXB96KbrCy is under our exclusive control.

We thank you for your patience and will provide updates exclusively on this page as they come in. We are committed to resuming service as soon as possible. Expect normal service to resume within 48 hours.
- bitcoin-central.net (https://bitcoin-central.net/)

Note that they also own https://instawallet.org/ and https://paytunia.com/
Nubarius

Activity: 310
Merit: 253

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:22:57 PM

This is being discussed on the main forum section too: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=164143.0

There's some reassuring news as it seems that Bitcoin-Central are in control of most of the funds.
benwoody

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:29:45 PM

Judging by the bitcoin-central Github repo, I'm wondering if this isn't due to the version of Rails they were using:

https://github.com/davout/bitcoin-central/blob/master/Gemfile#L3

3.1.3 had a slew of security patches this year: http://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-12043/product_id-22568/version_id-129541/year-2012/Rubyonrails-Ruby-On-Rails-3.1.3.html

Of course, just because this is on the Github repo, doesn't mean they are using this code in Production.
Otaci

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:37:25 PM

I cant post to the thread because of my newbie status.

There's a large transaction which hasnt been mined because it depends on some unconfirmed transactions that had no transaction fee. Presumably, they were trying to transfer the BTC from the cold storage to a more secure account, so they want it to happen quickly.

Could they resubmit another transaction? A duplicate of the large one except for the unconfirmed dependency. This would presumably go through fast. It would be a double booking, but they wouldn't care since they are doing it. When the miners get round to it, they will reject the old original transaction.
benwoody

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:41:29 PM

There's a large transaction which hasnt been mined because it depends on some unconfirmed transactions that had no transaction fee.

So it'll be confirmed, just not relatively soon.  I take it there are some maths around the size of the transaction to the size of the transaction fee to give a roughly estimated confirmation time?
Otaci

Activity: 41

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:44:29 PM

There's a large transaction which hasnt been mined because it depends on some unconfirmed transactions that had no transaction fee.

So it'll be confirmed, just not relatively soon.  I take it there are some maths around the size of the transaction to the size of the transaction fee to give a roughly estimated confirmation time?
Yes, but since there was some sort of security breach, they may want it to go through as quickly as possible. Assuming that is the case, would the method I described work to get the majority of the funds through quickly. Note that I have nothing to do with these guys, I'm just curious.
psilos (OP)

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:09:18 AM

As you have probably already noticed, both large tranactions are now confirmed.

So hopefully the site will be up and running soon and all the coins/euros will be still there  Smiley

But still I think that the bitcoin Central guys should regularly update the site so we know what s exactly happening.
psilos (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:14:00 AM

and while we are waiting for bitcoin central to "resume its services", the bitcoin value has been rised up to 112 euros !!!  Shocked
Eluc

Activity: 21

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 08:33:01 AM

I've made a quite large tranfert to Paytunia just one week ago, and I'm still unable to buy my bitcoin. This weekend I've made another transfert to Bitstamp but it's still unavailable on my account and every f***ing minutes I check BitStamp the price goes up very fast ! It's driving me so crazy right now...

I had such trust in Paymium as they were associated with a bank and as they will be offering credit card to spend Bitcoin but now I'm more and more spectical on their future and the future of my money on their account.

Are you guys ampting to take action after the site will be back, in order to get a payement of the damages they cost to their customers ?? I mean all this time they've got a lot of BTC sleeping on their account so they can give compensation at least.
psilos (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:47:27 AM

well, i had the same issue.

I made a transfer to bitcoin central to buy some extra bitcoins right at the day that the site went down and and while the bitcoin value was still down to 75 euros.

I am not familiar with the legal issues so I cannot comment on that
psilos (OP)

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 09:02:29 AM

And btw it s still strange that davout , the guy who is actively involved with bitcoin-central has since dissapeared from the forum.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2013, 07:27:06 AM

And btw it s still strange that davout , the guy who is actively involved with bitcoin-central has since dissapeared from the forum.

So, the guy who assured me all is well is gone? I can't wait to suck his dick as my way to thank him. Hopefully, he'll take the time to stick it up my ass first. Wait, that's already been done.
wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:30:41 AM

KAPOWNED BITCHES

Few million dollar heist and the press/people doesn't even know it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: