Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:35:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How many BTCs have been generated so far?  (Read 2539 times)
skyscraper (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 08:14:46 PM

Does anyone know how many BTCs have been generated so far? Is there any web ressource giving answer about this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dinker

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:25:20 PM

If you go solo mining, you could get 50 coins on your first day, or it could take 3 months.

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
Ricochet

Activity: 373
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:44:30 PM

Take the number in the corner of your client (the block count) and multiply by 50.  Currently at this moment that's 130599 blocks, so 6,529,950 BTC have been generated.

EDIT:  http://bitcoincharts.com/markets/ also tells you up top, though right now it's a bit out of date.  I suspect it might rely on BlockExplorer for the block count.
sciter

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 09:48:29 PM

If you go solo mining, you could get 50 coins on your first day, or it could take 3 months.
Doesnt it depend on your rig?
tokn

Activity: 21

View Profile
June 13, 2011, 10:11:33 PM

Doesnt it depend on your rig?

This was also my impression, although not 50/day but rather the higher your mhash/sec the higher your chances of landing those blocks.
sciter

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:15:50 AM

Yes, as you have chance with every block you encrypt it would be obvious if you have more chance if you encrypt more blocks.
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:26:27 AM

Does anyone know how many BTCs have been generated so far? Is there any web ressource giving answer about this?

http://blockexplorer.com/q/getblockcount*50
kwhcoin

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 03:38:04 AM

At the time of writing this I went to http://blockexplorer.com/q/totalbc and it showed 6532850.00000000. If you wait for a while and refresh the page you can watch it go up by 50 at a time. They have almost made 1/3 of all bitcoins that will ever be made.
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:11:44 AM

If you goto BitcoinCharts.com , and look at the top, you will find lots of curious information, along with current exchange rates and charts, of course.

Best Regards,
The Bear

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
sciter

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:49:23 AM

At the time of writing this I went to http://blockexplorer.com/q/totalbc and it showed 6532850.00000000. If you wait for a while and refresh the page you can watch it go up by 50 at a time. They have almost made 1/3 of all bitcoins that will ever be made.
How do you mean ''that ever will be made''?
dazoe

Activity: 29

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:56:11 AM

I know for a fact that about 200 BTC has been lost... A few friends of mine started mining back when mining was REALLY good. And well one, lets call him JOE, reformatted and reinstalled his computer, forgetting to backup his wallet. Then the other friend, lets call him BOB, had to leave for military training. Well BOB asked JOE to house-sit for him. BOB told JOE that he had backed up everything and that JOE was free to reformat/reinstall his computer. Well BOB didn't backup either. JOE had something like 70 BTC and BOB had around 140 BTC. So I wonder how much of that 6.534 mil. has been lost?!?
sciter

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:28:19 AM

I know for a fact that about 200 BTC has been lost... A few friends of mine started mining back when mining was REALLY good. And well one, lets call him JOE, reformatted and reinstalled his computer, forgetting to backup his wallet. Then the other friend, lets call him BOB, had to leave for military training. Well BOB asked JOE to house-sit for him. BOB told JOE that he had backed up everything and that JOE was free to reformat/reinstall his computer. Well BOB didn't backup either. JOE had something like 70 BTC and BOB had around 140 BTC. So I wonder how much of that 6.534 mil. has been lost?!?
Like, maybe, 10k btc is my guess.
CoolHand144

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:36:41 AM

This means that there will only ever be 21,000,000 bit coins on the market.  This is how Bitcoin will stay rare and not just "print" itself into worthlessness. 
JusticeForYou
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 271

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:48:34 AM

IMO: Attrition is a problem, but it is a problem that the community has plenty of time to overcome. Unlike fiat currencies, as money is lost, it is lost forever (probability wise). You won't find it; you can't print more; consider it the 'angles share'.  However as soon as a certain percentage has been removed from use through, crashed hard-drives (with no backups), fire, flood, or any number of possibilities, there will be plenty of time to migrate to (lets say) version 2 over a period of years to give everyone the chance to change over.

Don't consider this 'printing more', but maintaining the 21 Million BTC, which in reality is 21 Quadrillion units of 0.00000001 btc by replenishing what has been lost through attrition...

Best Regards,
The Bear

..1xBit.com   Super Six..
▄█████████████▄
████████████▀▀▀
█████████████▄
█████████▌▀████
██████████  ▀██
██████████▌   ▀
████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
▀██████████████
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████
███ ▄██████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████▀▀▀█
██████████     
███████████▄▄▄█
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
         ▄█████
        ▄██████
       ▄███████
      ▄████████
     ▄█████████
    ▄███████
   ▄███████████
  ▄████████████
 ▄█████████████
▄██████████████
  ▀▀███████████
      ▀▀███
████
          ▀▀
          ▄▄██▌
      ▄▄███████
     █████████▀

▄██▄▄▀▀██▀▀
▄██████     ▄▄▄
███████   ▄█▄ ▄
▀██████   █  ▀█
 ▀▀▀
    ▀▄▄█▀
▄▄█████▄    ▀▀▀
 ▀████████
   ▀█████▀ ████
      ▀▀▀ █████
          █████
       ▄  █▄▄ █ ▄
     ▀▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
      ▀ ▄▄█████▄█▄▄
    ▄ ▄███▀    ▀▀ ▀▀▄
  ▄██▄███▄ ▀▀▀▀▄  ▄▄
  ▄████████▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄██
 ████████████▀▀    █ ▐█
██████████████▄ ▄▄▀██▄██
 ▐██████████████    ▄███
  ████▀████████████▄███▀
  ▀█▀  ▐█████████████▀
       ▐████████████▀
       ▀█████▀▀▀ █▀
Premier League
LaLiga
Serie A
Bundesliga
Ligue 1
Primeira Liga
..TAKE PART..
sciter

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:24:25 AM

This means that there will only ever be 21,000,000 bit coins on the market.  This is how Bitcoin will stay rare and not just "print" itself into worthlessness. 
So if the 21mil BTC are produced, the mining is over?
Husband

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:59:20 AM

Yes, but each block becomes exponentially more difficult to resolve. The rate at which BTC are being distributed is dropping with every difficulty step increase.
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:59:35 AM

No, we still need to mine, because that's how transactions are recorded and verified. If there becomes so little btc in existance, we can move the decimal place, so 0.1btc = 1btc.
musicsmooch

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:12:25 PM

Generated bc for 18 hours and nothing. Added Bitcoinplus to my music part of my new website:

http://musicsmooch.co/index.php?dll=music&sub=search

Then I found out this morning it was because of MSE trying to kill bitcoin.exe. Added Bitcoin.exe to excl;uded.

I want to use bitcoin for memeber sign ups or to becme premium members on my dating / music / social website eventually or have the option now.

Anyone have some input on how I can do that?

http://bc.x14.eu/sigs/4921ebe8.png
kwhcoin

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:20:43 PM

The mining for new bitcoins will continue for many decades per this graph https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/File:Total_bitcoins_over_time_graph.png, but over time benefits of mining will become less for the new bitcoins and more for the transaction fee bitcoins.
sciter

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 05:26:05 PM

No, we still need to mine, because that's how transactions are recorded and verified. If there becomes so little btc in existance, we can move the decimal place, so 0.1btc = 1btc.
..having the same hyperinflation-effects if you just ''printed'' more coins?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: