Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:35:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: You would be crazy to spend bitcoins when its rising so much in value  (Read 2892 times)
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 09:43:36 PM

I have seen this said a few times "you would be crazy to spend it when its rising so much in value".

I do not understand this. Sure, at face value thinking that you have X Bitcoins today that are of value Y, why would you get rid of X Bitcoins today when tomorrow their value will be 2Y?

But then how do you spend money? Do you keep fiat currency and spend that? That makes even less sense! Why keep fiat currency?

If you hold Y dollars that are worth X Bitcoins that will tomorrow be worth .5X Bitcoins, why have dollars?

My contention is that most of us are paid in dollars. We all have to pay for things. The best possible scenario for you would be to convert your dollars to bitcoins as quickly as possible and then use it for spending.

Otherwise, if you get paid and then wait a week to spend your fiat, then you have just lost a week worth of value gain.

You would be crazy to spend dollars when having dollars to spend in the first place is crazy.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 2100

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:45:28 PM

1)See potential purchase
2)Buy bitcoins for purchase
3)Wait 5 minutes
4)Purchase purchase
5)Profit.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
Newscastix

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 09:50:39 PM

Simple:

Because you have to spend them at some point. When you die sitting on a pile of coins, whats the point?

You want the coins because you want to buy something at some point, right?
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:03:12 PM

No point to gold if you never use it.  People will be encouraged to save and spend on the things they need, and stop buying junk they may or may not want.  Problem with a depreciating currency, you're inclined to spend it sooner, rather than later.  With a depreciating currency, Joe's gotta work his whole life to make ends meet.  And if there's no work left to do, Joe's up shit creek, like Joe is right now, and he'd be further up the creek without a paddle if Mr. Obooba decided to pull most soldiers and bring them home; then there'd really be no jobs.  So the war keeps going with fiat contributing to the reason why there must be war in the first place; war creates jobs, and lots of them.

However, war is such a waste.  Yes, it creates jobs, but what's the point of a job when all you're doing is destroying, just so you can build all over again?  That's the magic behind fiat; you're a slave to it, until you manage to store up enough to ride the rest of your life on.  So wherever the jobs are, that's where you must go, and if that job is warfare, that's that.  Cash that works like gold suddenly looks much more attractive; considering work is becoming a thing of the past now that a single machine can replace an entire factory of workers with a few guys to run the thing and make sure it's working right (heck, machines are even replacing soldiers now), people need to save up now more than ever.  Fiat works when you live in a nation that must be constantly worked on.  But everything's pretty much there, now.  We have the infrastructure, we have the cities and the towns and the schools and the electricity and the Internet in several different forms, we have the parks and the farmland and the machines to run that farmland, we've got almost all the work done to live comfortable lives.  Everything's going to hell because we're still stuck to this depreciating currency, and nations can't expand any more than they already are.  Soon we'll have to colonize the moon, wage a war against it, destroy it, then colonize it again, just to keep jobs flowing.

Sorry, I think that was slightly off topic Tongue  But the point is, a currency like Bitcoin is exactly what we need right now; something to use sparingly, for necessities, and maybe then life will look up a bit.  There's nothing stopping someone from going hungry with 10k bitcoins sitting in their wallet--that is, unless they're a miser.  But they probably deserve to die if they're so cheap, they won't even buy food for themselves.

BIGMERVE

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 10:04:31 PM

1)See potential purchase
2)Buy bitcoins for purchase
3)Wait 5 minutes
4)Purchase purchase
5)Profit.

Exactly this allows you to grow the Bitcoin economy while still hoarding.

Topazan

Activity: 354

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 10:36:59 PM

Someone else on this forum pointed out that there wouldn't be a problem if sellers showed the same confidence in bitcoin and adjusted their prices accordingly.

Deflation doesn't continue forever as long as you don't try to fight it.  There is an equilibrium that the value will tend towards.

Save the last bitcoin for me!
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
April 01, 2013, 11:00:55 PM

A rising price doesn't (and shouldn't) make people stop spending altogether. All it does is make people more careful about what they buy. When one's money is appreciating, one will be more selective in his consumption, and this is good.

The world could do with a currency that encouraged thriftyness and savings, as opposed to encouraging spending/consumption.
Elwar (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 01, 2013, 11:09:32 PM

A rising price doesn't (and shouldn't) make people stop spending altogether. All it does is make people more careful about what they buy. When one's money is appreciating, one will be more selective in his consumption, and this is good.

The world could do with a currency that encouraged thriftyness and savings, as opposed to encouraging spending/consumption.

But if everyone saved and had their own safety net to fall back on then why would we need gov...

ahh....

Cool

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
BIGMERVE

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 04:45:55 AM

Doesn't gold and silver kind of do this?

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 3154

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 04:59:25 AM

"is rising" -- you can't be sure that the price will continue to rise. When everyone assumes that the price will continue rising, then you have a bubble and it will pop.

My strategy is to sell some when the price is high, even if I think it is going to continue rising.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
BIGMERVE

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 10:35:34 PM

"is rising" -- you can't be sure that the price will continue to rise. When everyone assumes that the price will continue rising, then you have a bubble and it will pop.

My strategy is to sell some when the price is high, even if I think it is going to continue rising.

Have you not been on the forums??? Everyone already thinks the price will continue to rise. And what would you considered to be a high price? Most people said 30 was a high price, now look at it.

gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:15:24 AM

i want one million dollars for my coin!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKHSAE1gIs
Timbert33

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 08:31:31 PM

Well some things make you even more money than btc going up. Those things are probably limited to drugs and mining equipment, though -_-. And clearly mining equipment is just a way to get more btc, so that doesn't really count.

The answer is that it won't be a truly viable currency until the price stops rising so rapidly. Which will definitely happen at some point (obviously).
Gordonium

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:18:48 PM

That is exactly what I have been saying. Once we can purchase almost everything with Bitcoins, people will spend Bitcoins because they won't hold any fiat money.
MaTachi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Hack the planet!

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 12:34:55 PM

I use real money for purchasing things, and bitcoins as a growing investment. There are barely any places for me (as a Swede) to spend bitcoins anyway. I think that is working quite nicely.

@DanielJonss. On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:48:39 PM

I use real money for purchasing things, and bitcoins as a growing investment. There are barely any places for me (as a Swede) to spend bitcoins anyway. I think that is working quite nicely.

Unfortunately, the result will be disaster if everyone does that. Bitcoin's only utility is as a medium of exchange. If it is not used as such, then it has no utility and no value.

If you don't want the value of your bitcoins to come crashing down, then I encourage you to spend bitcoins whenever you can. You don't have to cut into you savings, just buy an extra bitcoin. Spend that and save the rest.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 04:52:00 PM

Unfortunately, the result will be disaster if everyone does that. Bitcoin's only utility is as a medium of exchange. If it is not used as such, then it has no utility and no value.

That's not true. There's practically no actual use of gold bullion as medium of exchange. It's mostly a store of value. Bitcoin can be a store of value too.
MaTachi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Hack the planet!

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 05:06:41 PM

If you don't want the value of your bitcoins to come crashing down, then I encourage you to spend bitcoins whenever you can. You don't have to cut into you savings, just buy an extra bitcoin. Spend that and save the rest.

Why does it matter if I buy bitcoins for real money, spend them, and then the merchant convert them back to real money instantaneously? Why not pay with real money in the first place then? I guess that would be cheaper considering all exchange rates. And as I said, I don't even know where I would spend bitcoins, I don't need Reddit Gold.

Further more. Considering the value growth, like, the value of bitcoin has grown more than 10 % during the last 12 hours. Why would I spend my bitcoins? If I wait they will be worth A LOT MORE. Dunno, I just can't see why my strategy is wrong.

@DanielJonss. On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

Why does it matter if I buy bitcoins for real money, spend them, and then the merchant convert them back to real money instantaneously? Why not pay with real money in the first place then? I guess that would be cheaper considering all exchange rates. And as I said, I don't even know where I would spend bitcoins, I don't need Reddit Gold.

Paying in bitcoins is like paying in cash, so there is very little risk to the merchant. In addition, there is no credit card company sucking up his profits and holding back his money. As a result of these benefits, the merchant could lower his prices for bitcoin payers to encourage that form of payment.

If companies see that there is a demand for payment in bitcoins, they will consider it. If they don't see any demand, it won't be worth their time. Everyone that owns bitcoins could simply send an email to every company they deal with asking them to accept bitcoins, and the results would be dramatic.

caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 07:14:21 PM

Why does it matter if I buy bitcoins for real money

Bitcoin is real.
Physical != real. Otherwise, no fiat money would be real either.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: